It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is crowd source funding our alternative to taxes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
So I was thinking about how we can use crowd source funding as a better alternative to taxes. I don't like being forced to fund things I don't agree with. I would choose to donate money to roads, fire departments, police forces if they would be held more accountable to the needs of the community and not as revenue generating machines for the state and of course I would be willing to help poor people. I'm probably forgetting something important.

I think we could not only crowd source these on a voluntary level but I think it would actually make people more willing to donate more money because they could actually see and feel the results of their donation. I think we could make it totally open source and make certain data public ally available.

Don't force me to pay for things at gun point I have a problem with that.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Taxes, after all, are dues that we pay for the privileges of membership in an organized society. --Franklin Delano Roosevelt

I'm not a fan of some of the things the governments do with tax money, but taxation seems necessary.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Granted tax revenue has a direct relationship with the given economic status and there might be a loop hole here to circumvent such. But you're not addressing any 'government' shut down issues or lack of services due to there not being enough funding. If the position of... "well they are overspending and we're not going to pay due to our indifference" is taken, that rabbit hole goes too deep.

Let those that took the time to educate themselves on particular matters and surround themselves with knowledgeable people determine what appropriations need be made. We then vote on said educated people and try to stay wise. Your idea parallels direct democracy... which has enormous pitfalls and incredibly inefficient. Just imagine the over-head and such need to regulate such a program. It would be ridiculous... just sayin.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

I don't think it's good idea myself.

You will eventually end up paying more as the people behind would say... oh, thats a good idea for a NEW tax!

Don't do it.

You can help poor people another way.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
So I was thinking about how we can use crowd source funding as a better alternative to taxes. I don't like being forced to fund things I don't agree with.

And your infrastructure would collapse within months.

I'm sorry, but this is BS. Taxation is not something you should simply be able to pick and choose from, if you want to be a part of this society and enjoy all the benefits of it you have yo pay your fair share. That's the way society goes, and "voluntary" taxes would mean billions lost every year.

Lets get something real clear here... your current quality of life has not come about from your own actions. Society has not developed to this point through the willingness of some to be charitable. If we were to make taxes voluntary billions would be wiped out, your road systems would crumble, bridges would collapse, social welfare systems would end, disease outbreaks would rise, crime would go through the roof, education would collapse... all things that would directly threaten those millions of people who now suddenly think that they should be able to get out of contributing to the society they live in.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013
I'm sorry, but this is BS. Taxation is not something you should simply be able to pick and choose from, if you want to be a part of this society and enjoy all the benefits of it you have yo pay your fair share. That's the way society goes, and "voluntary" taxes would mean billions lost every year.

Totally agree. You would end up with an infrastructure like Somalia! People just would not pay tax, even for things they want. People are inherently selfish so would keep their income to themselves as the world fell apart around them.

top topics

join