It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim sues employer in US for giving him exactly what he asked for

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
Well, if he's a cashier at Costco, he's not actually TOUCHING pork or alcohol, as it is WRAPPED UP.

In some interpretations that is enough. In other religions selling alcohol is prohibited, it's considered work that exists to harm others.

Different people have different beliefs. I agree that he should have been upfront about it but he wasn't. It seems like Costco still tried to accommodate him though so I'm not seeing a discrimination suit here.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

This is ridiculous and also the funniest thing I've read today.

Why are these 'Fanatics' so childish??

Just bludy push the crate already... blimey, even at the till you are only holding the package for about 5 seconds so the scanner can read the code!

Not surprised he got sacked! If he can't handle working in a food store than he shouldn't get a job in a food store.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

Mental disorder indeed. Well put.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:04 AM
link   

I once worked at a plant with a guy who operated a certain machine. He decided he was not being paid enough at this position so he kept riding the boss for a raise. He told the boss, several time, he felt he should be making the same as the fabricators who worked near by. Finally the boss relented and cut his pay be 5 cents per hour.
Sometimes folks don't know when to leave things alone until they get all the facts.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
No story here as his lawsuit has nothing to stand on. His employer can assign him any Job they want he is not forced to work there. It's a nonstory. Sounds to me like someone just wants to induce hate against Muslims..a reply to: infolurker

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
The funny thing is that if this was about a Christian and a gay wedding cake he would be heralded as a champion of freedom of religion...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:13 AM
link   

the heading of this post is misleading - it claims the worker was given what he asked for - yet the story states he asked for a job in electrical and was refused - ergo he was not given what he asked for.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:26 AM
link   
From what I have seen personally a lot of employers, when they interview prospective employees and see that one of them is a Muslim, won't choose him/her for the job, even if that person is qualified. This is discrimination, but it goes unnoticed, as the employers will say "we found somebody more suitable", which of course they may have, nobody is any the wiser. Why does this happen? For the reasons in the OP. Employers want their staff to just do their jobs and not create problems with regards to their religious beliefs, and can you blame them? I don't know.

One business owner I know personally told me that in the past he had interviewed Muslim men occasionally for positions in his company, he told me privately that "yes they seemed like nice guys and were well qualified" but he wouldn't take the risk of employing them because they might want "special treatment". This is unfair, yet I couldn't argue with the guy, it's his business and he needn't have disclosed to anybody his selection methods for prospective employees.

With regards to Christians, or whoever, well I live in a predominantly Christian country so Christian holidays are observed and are considered the lay of the land with regards to workers taking days off etc. So it is fair to say that Muslims are discriminated against because of their beliefs from time to time in this regard, by some people.

Another aspect with regards to this issue is the marginalisation of Muslim workers, who have less opportunities for employment, for the reasons I have stated above. The guy in the OP represents one of the reasons for this marginalisation, if he felt that his religion is more important than his employment(which is his right) then he shouldn't have applied for that job. I have worked with Muslim guys in a liquor store in the past, none of them drank, and they openly admitted their disdain for what they saw alcohol do to a lot of our customers, but they were always polite and hard working people. They guy in the OP is an ass IMO.

edit on 2-3-2015 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: rabbitpinch

the heading of this post is misleading - it claims the worker was given what he asked for - yet the story states he asked for a job in electrical and was refused - ergo he was not given what he asked for.

He wasn't hired for the electrical department, he was hired as a cashier......he got exactly what he asked for at his interview.
He just decided he was too precious for that particular job.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

From your source

a Muslim is advised not to handle such products if he or she has got the choice and not much damage is caused because of that, such as loss of a job.

So if he was at risk of losing his job, he could in fact handle pork and alcohol?

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

This sounds to me like the beginning for "Devout Muslim" to enforced their American civil rights in order to push their own agendas, including making money in the process also.

I suggest he should go back to his country of origin so he can feel more at "home"

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I had the same debate with a labour campaigner on my doorstep Sunday morning...

Stop being a loser and just get another job!

Asked to be moved to electronics and they said no - okay, now just go get another job and stop being a cry baby.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: babybunnies
Well, if he's a cashier at Costco, he's not actually TOUCHING pork or alcohol, as it is WRAPPED UP.

In some interpretations that is enough. In other religions selling alcohol is prohibited, it's considered work that exists to harm others.

Different people have different beliefs. I agree that he should have been upfront about it but he wasn't. It seems like Costco still tried to accommodate him though so I'm not seeing a discrimination suit here.

I'm betting they didn't have an opening in electronics like he wanted. But they had an opening in carts, so they placed him there to accommodate him. If he stuck it out long enough, there might have been an opening and he could have transferred to electronics and we wouldn't be discussing this issue. I bet he just got impatient and wanted now what he might have had in the future.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: JohnPhoenix

Your STUPID. I HATE you. I wish you would DIE. Or at least get the HELL OUT OF MY COUNTRY.

I just couldn't help myself but to point out the irony here. You're and your do not mean the same thing. Something about glass houses...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argyll
a reply to: rabbitpinch

He wasn't hired for the electrical department, he was hired as a cashier......he got exactly what he asked for at his interview.
He just decided he was too precious for that particular job.

that seems like a very unusual interview, where the applicant states the role he wants, usually interviews are for a specific advertised role...

how do you know he decided he was too precious - where you there? have you seen a transcript?
it seems your response has tried to present opinion/conjecture as fact and is as misleading as the OPs title.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Argyll
do you think he is right to sue?

Everyone has the right to "petition the government for redress of grievances" and that includes the right to sue... It may get thrown out, but he has the right.

I think he's completely wrong and if he had a religious objection to some parts of the job, he should have spoken up earlier. Then they could decide if they wanted to hire him or not...

People simply cannot use their religion to get special rights or treatment by the government. And that goes for ANY religion. It's exactly the same thing when bakers and florists want to refuse service to those with whom they disagree because of some religious belief.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Sounds like somebody's having "issues".

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: angrypsycho1977
The funny thing is that if this was about a Christian and a gay wedding cake he would be heralded as a champion of freedom of religion...

Only if he owned the business.

If he worked for someone else who chose to make wedding cakes for whomever, and he takes the job ... then it's the same thing. You knew what you were getting into. It you can't make the cakes the employer requires you to make, then you should have been up front about it from the start.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The titles of these kinds of threads really bother me.

Its just the way its a MUSLIM suing his employer is conveyed in the title and in the OP

This guy lets face it is a idiot who is pissed he never got the cool job in the electronics department so is using every excuse he can muster to get his own way and when that doesn't work he tries to sue.

He just also happens to be Muslim and even tried using that as a excuse.

I don't know, might just be me but I always find these threads that start with the line "Muslim/Jew/Christian....." says quite a lot about the intolerances that the individual posting may be harbouring.

It turns form a thread that should be about the lengths this guy will go to to make a life a misery for his employers to about him doing it because he is a Muslim and before we know it the debate is all about Muslims and not the unscrupulous lengths people will go to to get their own way.

Doesn't sit quite right with me.
edit on 2-3-2015 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kapusta

just as everyone has the right to live the way they want to live and practice the religion they want to practice.
i was point out that Muslim hatred is all over ats now and it has been for a while now . Due to the lack of understanding of the Religion .

why do people have to conform to a certain way of life ? must ever live in a progressive society ?

ETA : about your little vice link their , amnesty put out a bunk story about that and they have since deleted their page . just saying

Funny you say that, because the more I learn about Islam, the less I like it. It's not the other way around. Before I looked at what was actually written in the Quran it was not even on my radar.

Again, imagine if I emigrated to Saudi Arabia, and complained at work because of the discrimination against my atheism or Christianity, how would that go? I'd be in jail before I could finish the sentence. Here in the US we respect religions as much as we can but in a secular world that only goes so far. It's not fair for everyone, everywhere, and it never will be. But there are certainly places in Earth that man could go live where his religion would be completely respected at all times. There are pros and cons to both types of societies, and I would say having to handle pork is a close second to this this or this or this or this or this or this. That's all just Saudia Arabia, there a literally endless examples from other countries with Sharia Law.

I have nothing against the people of Islamic faith. Likewise most North Koreans are good people at heart, they are just indoctrinated into an extremely unhealthy and paranoid worldview. It is the belief system, a belief system spread by someone who had something to gain by spreading these beliefs, that I have a problem with.

Just out of curiosity, are you Muslim? It wouldn't change the way I think about you but it would explain the way in which you seem to ignore logic in exchange for hardline views that protect only one walk of life.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join