It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Women not allowed to sing in Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
In Iran women are not allowed to sing for men just other women.

www.albawaba.com...

Following the Islamic Revolution of 1979, dance and some types of music have been considered illegal by the Iranian government. Female singers are not permitted to have any activities in Iran. After Islamic clerics took power, they declared that female voices corrupted Iranian men.

Therefore, due to these circumstances, some Iranian singers and musicians went to the United States to continue their performances and musical careers. The majority of them have settled in Los Angeles, California.

After the Revolution, for example, Iran�s most famous female pop singer, Googoosh (also called the Queen of Pop) was banned from public performance like most other female singers. Nevertheless, the talented and popular pop diva made a comeback in 2000 on a world tour and is currently based in Canada.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
so?

In a lot of countries its illegal to download music (p2p) but i'll bet if you told a policeman that you did it they wouldn't give a sh*t. The official rules in Iran are stupid but i think a lot of them arent enforced hardcore, because the people lower down really don't care. Don't forget that the laws in Iran have become a lot more lax since the revolution, so they probably won't stop easing up now, its a good tactic for a goverment i think, to slowly give the people freedoms, keeps the people happy/grateful, but im not much of a politician so i wouldn't really know.
Its only in the last century or two that uk gave women the right to vote, only in the last half century that USA gave blacks the vote, there are plenty more example of that (apologies for inaccurate stats but i think they are accurate enough to make my point). I think we have to let other countries do stuff at there own pace. I mean, its not as though they are bombing other countries now is it?

and another thing, maybe they have a point? (possibly)

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
So?

They have their customs, we have ours.

I'm sure some of our customs seem barbaric to them..
Your point?

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Yes, not all countries on the earth support freedom of expression in all it's forms - welcome to reality.

I never knew about music or singing being illegal in some places until I saw the IMAX FILM ALL ACCESS. Sting talked about the guy that does the intro to the Sting song "Desert Rose" was from such a place & he left his country to be able to sing. I'm sorry I don't know his name or where he's from.

Sorry, dgtemp - freedom is not a custom. I hope you continue with your studies there, so you too can understand that someday. Since, you indicated you're clueless about his point (by using the
), I'll take the liberty and answer it. He's amazed to have learned that something as simple as singing is against the law somewhere, and has just learned how lucky we are to be able to express ourselves in that way. Not all of us knew everything the day we are born - some of us learn something new every day as he has indicated and I concur.

While this particular subject is gender based - in some places people are forbidden to sing period.

[edit on 19-12-2004 by outsider]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Would seem to me to be yet another good example of the mistake of letting spiritualisem run government.

Sep

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
there are woman singers in Iran, search for Arian group for example.

Here is a recent article about them in BBC:

news.bbc.co.uk...

and here is a picture of one of them singing:

newsimg.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 19-12-2004 by Sep]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
While I can understand why SOME women should never ever sing!

These oppressive code of conduct rules are clearly written only to serve men
while some of us prefer to follow the words that were written to serve God.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Red Golem

Would seem to me to be yet another good example of the mistake of letting spiritualisem run government.

That is not spiritualism; that's religious fundamentalism. Spirituality is about free will. Religion and spiritiuality is not the same.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Although I am not supporting Iranian government in any way but I should also mention that in the last few years there were more female university students in Iran than men, also in the last few years, Iran had the highest number of females in the parliament than ever before.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo_Child

That is not spiritualism; that's religious fundamentalism. Spirituality is about free will. Religion and spiritiuality is not the same.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by Indigo_Child]

Doesn't fundamental mean the basics? so youre saying that the basic belief of Islam, belief in God, is the cause of this sort of opression?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FallenFromTheTree

While I can understand why SOME women should never ever sing!

These oppressive code of conduct rules are clearly written only to serve men
while some of us prefer to follow the words that were written to serve God.

Well, actually, if you think about how many men google over the dallas cowboy cheerleaders, or some of the female pop stars in america, well, are you sure it serves men? Think about some of the things these women put themselves through to stay attractive and slim, just for your enjoyment. Well, in their view, laws like this "frees them" from this type of exploitation. Hidden behind their garb, they are free to be whatever they desire to be.

That being said, well, afghanistan was beating women for wearing shoes that were too loud when they walked.
As far as the law probably not being enforced, I really don't know much about Iran, most of what I have read leads me to believe that the people seem to want a nice balance between the secular and religion. Iran has been moving towards a more secular society in the past 5 years or so (that's if America's actions hasn't fueled the clerics power base.
If afghanistan, saudi arabia, and probably Iran also, they have they have a special police force just for these "virtue" issues. In afghanistan they would actually go house to house measuring the mens beards, just to make sure that they weren't shaving them during those times when it was forbidden, again, doesn't seem to be serving men much, does it? All in all, I think it is an equal opportunity suppressive system...

I mean, just think guys, if your wives couldn't drive, how many times would you have to turn off your football game to ride her to the market for grocery shopping? or worse yet, shopping for clothes!!

To me, it's just one heck of a oppresive system that serves mainly to tie people up struggling with everyday life issues, thus no time to think of the solutions needed to better their situation.

new topics

top topics

join