It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spider Question: Explanation? Pics.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hi fellow ATS'ers,

Friends of mine sent me these two photos of a spider nest (golf ball size) with two different species of spiders. The two different species looks like widow babies and Rain spider (Huntsman) babies (to be corrected). Both species in the nest have dead and alive babies crawling over each other, and, neither mothers are visible.

My question is:
Can anyone explain how these two could have ended up in one nest?

Thanks in advance

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
My worst nightmare!!!!!!

link   
a reply to: KaelemJames

The cause?

Unknown to me.

Solution?

Fire.

That's some cool pics though, and it is pretty weird as far as I know to have two different species in the same area, let alone nest.

~Tenth

link   

Looks like a battle from Middle Earth.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
Solution?

Fire.

Yeah. This calls for hairspray and a lighter and frankly I don't care if it ruins my monitor.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Killing Huntsman spiders? Are you crazy? Those spiders make the cullest pets ever!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Yip. Sadly they did exactly that - flamed the nest! I wanted to go and have a look, but seeing its two women they reckoned a lighter and deodorant would do.

I understand as it was at their bedroom window, and that one specie IMO were widows.

edit on 09/02/2012 by KaelemJames because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Yep!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Waste of lighter fluid IMO..
Bag up the nest and pop it in the mail box/car/washing machine of the next person who is horrid to you.
Sorry I am evil

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

The very young Rain spider babies do have big bodies and does look a bit like Widows. As far as I know Rain/Huntsman spiders, they only tend to the young for a few days, and then let them fend for themselves. I believe that the dead ones were eaten.

Check this thread to see the photos I took of the baby Huntsman spiders.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: IndependentOpinion

So, the ones with the big abdomens could very well be baby Rain Spiders.

Unfortunately I didn't see the nest with my own eyes, except for these two photos. Your photos makes sense that the babies have a similar look than Widows. It explains that there is (was) only one specie in this nest. It's a shame they were killed cos of similarity to that of Widows.

You know we don't take chances with Widows when they park at our bedroom windows.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I kill them wherever I see them! But they are mostly in my garden

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: KaelemJames
Hi fellow ATS'ers,

Friends of mine sent me these two photos of a spider nest (golf ball size) with two different species of spiders. The two different species looks like widow babies and Rain spider (Huntsman) babies (to be corrected). Both species in the nest have dead and alive babies crawling over each other, and, neither mothers are visible.

My question is:
Can anyone explain how these two could have ended up in one nest?

Thanks in advance

I can't explain how they ended up in one nest, but.....

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark
Yep!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Someone once said this to me:
When I was a stoopid kid,I popped one of these beauties into my mouth in a futile attempt to impress a girl..
I know-it was never going to work out well,but at the time it seemed appropriate,thanks to the influence of(against T+C so redacted).

www.theguardian.com...

It all went peachy,and the girl was super impressed(honest),until some of the spiders legs started tickling the back of my throat.
That was the moment it all went wrong.

I "hauuuchiiiifffllnged",and the tickly spider ejected itself onto the face of my sadly no longer potential girlfriend.

Landed square on her face,like in "Alien" with the facehugger.
The screams got me arrested.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
If I looked out my widow and saw that......I'm afraid that I would stampede my children in an effort to vacate the house. Time to move, leave everything and move.

My backyard is infested with black widows. We have been here 3 years now. We tried all the chemicals, nothing worked. I finally last year called The Joe Ford Nature Center and they told me smashing or fire is about all that works. I'm hoping that the fires these last 2 years will have killed them all. Horrible little beasts.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kentuckymama
If I looked out my widow and saw that......I'm afraid that I would stampede my children in an effort to vacate the house. Time to move, leave everything and move.

My backyard is infested with black widows. We have been here 3 years now. We tried all the chemicals, nothing worked. I finally last year called The Joe Ford Nature Center and they told me smashing or fire is about all that works. I'm hoping that the fires these last 2 years will have killed them all. Horrible little beasts.

We used to have brown recluse where we lived growing up. My stepmother got bit in the leg when she got in the car to drive once, not knowing it was there. They had to scoop part of her leg out where it bit her and put a skin cement filler "stuff" in there. She had a weird scar for years.

top topics

join