It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beards Get Respect, But Not Women, Study Finds

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Brad Pitt looks awful with a beard. He looks like a scruffy homeless person. He can look good when he cleans up and shaves, but usually he just looks a mess and the beard on him looks worse.

Personally, I don't like a full beard. I like a close shaved Van Dyke on certain guys. Not everyone call pull it off though.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I agree about Brad. I think he's pretty hot, but not with a beard. Brad always reminds me of a young Robert Redford. I remember seeing Redford in the movie Jeremiah Johnson. He had a full beard during most of the movie, but when he shaved it off for his Indian girl, I remember thinking, "Whoa, he's so handsome now!"

My husband usually wears a neatly trimmed goatee and I like it. I like it better than when he is clean-shaven. I just don't like the full beard. Some men have sexy jawlines that are hidden by the beards.

One thing I have always loved on a man is sideburns. Not mutton chops, but noticeable sideburns. I find them incredibly sexy for some reason. Unfortunately, my husband just can't grow good sideburns.
Love him anyway.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
I sometimes wish I could grow a decent beard. The best I can manage is a semblance of mange.

A beard doesn't impress me as to the nature of the man, but I do admire one that is thick and full.

When I start a fresh growth its always a bit patchy for the first few weeks..whats the longest you have let it grow for? I think some just take a bit longer to fill in.
But then again I have seen some really sorry gents with no hope..lol
Im pullin for ya Brother!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
I grew mine to cover up scars on my chin, does that make me even more manly? That and I look like a baby when I shave. Sadly its never been a chick magnet but I still love my beard.

Yep..all statistics would suggest "Double Manly"

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi

Hell no been growing this beard to long to get rid of it now. That and it keeps my face warm during the cold season and I don't get carded when buy smokes or liquor.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: DjembeJedi

originally posted by: N3k9Ni
I sometimes wish I could grow a decent beard. The best I can manage is a semblance of mange.

A beard doesn't impress me as to the nature of the man, but I do admire one that is thick and full.

When I start a fresh growth its always a bit patchy for the first few weeks..whats the longest you have let it grow for? I think some just take a bit longer to fill in.
But then again I have seen some really sorry gents with no hope..lol
Im pullin for ya Brother!

I appreciate the thought but I've tried to grow a beard and what I have is a bald patch right behind my chin on my neck and another about halfway along the jawline on both sides. Also, my mustache doesn't grow out completely around the corner of my mouth on one side.

It was OK when I was younger but I'm almost 60 and when I try to grow it now I just look like a derelict.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DjembeJedi

originally posted by: InSatanIsisServes
The reason I kept my beard was because I was getting a lot more respect at work for the same performance and my ideas were taken more seriously

Very interesting.. Is your boss male or female and do you work with more males or females?

All men but it does seem to work with women as well. Alo im getting more female attention but im not really single so
~\_(o_0)_/~

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   
As a woman I concur and have been saying this for years. Memories of my father's brief stints of full beards while teaching and food and dandruff in them. I can't stand beards, even trimmed ones. Some men look good with stubble but thats it. And I'm aware, this is a personal opinion, and never dreamed of shaving anyones beard off, just sharing personal taste and what is a turn off, but when it comes to this, and my oldest son grew one, spoke up and said what i felt and shared what many other women feel about it, but also told him, its natural to explore growing one, so was quiet the rest of the time. Was secretly very happy when he shaved it off after a few months.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
IMO full shaggy beards are ok [and a little endearing
] if you are:

a) an older biker with lots of tattoos or b) in a Stoner band

Any other beards [read: hipster, muslim comedy beard, lazy beard, or fluff by an 18 year old] are really abhorrend to me.
They add nothing but take a lot away. I HATE beards [with above exceptions].

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The beard growers have really made a resurgence lately. I blame duck dynasty, and bin Laden.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666

Any other beards [read: hipster, muslim comedy beard, lazy beard, or fluff by an 18 year old] are really abhorrend to me.
They add nothing but take a lot away. I HATE beards [with above exceptions].

What about Christian beards? Or Jewish beards?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I've had a full beard ever since I was able to grow one. I find it curious that as I age, my beard gets more vigorous while I grow bald.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cancerwarrior
I grew mine to cover up scars on my chin, does that make me even more manly? That and I look like a baby when I shave. Sadly its never been a chick magnet but I still love my beard.

My husband's covers scars on his jaw from a work accident years ago, he's self-conscious of them. That said, yeah, he also looks babyish when he shaves it off. He's done it twice to prove how babyish he looks, and I told him never to do it again, along with the older kid who refused to even talk to him until it grew back.

My dad always had a beard, so I've always been accustomed to seeing furry faces as a normal thing. It boils down to what is comfortable or desirable for the guy in question, though. I still find beards to be more natural than as bare as a baby's ass, however.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot
I do not trust men with beards, what are they trying to hide?

I trust bearded men with glasses even less.

And left handed men with glasses and a beard work for the devil.

I am a 4-eyed, bearded lefty.
I haven't noticed any problems with the ladies.
Now I'm afraid if I shaved I may have to beat them away with a stick to have a moment of peace.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I am a woman and have always found the men in my love life to be more attractive sans beard, slight stubble okay but irritating, small specific moustache/goatee ensemble can look okay but not more attractive than shaved and often looks a bit over preened and vain IMO.

Perhaps it is due to women liking the strength of a man's jaw as a defining characteristic of masculinity that there is a preference for shaven.

I think the sculptural qualities of the male face is a good quality and if there is a good jawline best to let it show.

I also get the impression that some men grow beards for a contrived look, which is often IMO rather passé, such as the grungy /biker/ cowboy / hippy sort of pastiche looks.
edit on 1-3-2015 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Personally (I'm female) I like the fact that beards have made a comeback but not because I like them. Some men suit them, some don't. But anything that gives men more stylistic options is really cool, especially for guys with heavy facial hair that is a bother to constantly be shaving, or scars they want to hide, etc. Stubble looks good on most men but is horrible for kissing, so beards are better.

And perhaps women prefer shaved when in "assessment" mode because there is a natural tendency to look for masculine, square jawed. This is a generalization, of course.
edit on 1-3-2015 by igloo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I got a 3 yr old goatee that goes to below my neck line,the rest has an Amish look..I find it weird what some People consider a 5 clock shadow,or a two week growth a beard..
edit on 1-3-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
My hubby has a 'stache and short goatee, he keeps it all trimmed and shaped nicely... and with his glasses on, it makes him look all nerdy-science-guy like.

Very sexy indeed.

*meow purr purr*

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

That is one thing that annoys me to no end. Having to track down an employee to unlock a cabinet to get blades which are already overpriced. I had a beard for years and finally shaved it off after a trimming accident. Now the closest I get is on weekends when I just don't bother to mess with it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join