It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Men Commit Nearly Half of the Murders in the United States

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
What's ironic here is that so many are saying "just stick to the facts" because you believe that the stats presented in the OP provide factual support for a racial position that you've always held but can't quite take full ownership of, in polite society anyway.

Yes, I just played "the race card." But we're just "sticking to the facts here" right?

Here's the link to the actual publication that Channel 4 used in their Fact Check report: Homocide Trends in the US 1980-2000.

You may be surprised to find that the title of that report is not "Black Men Commit More Murders."

That's because the "race" of the perpetrators is only one of the vectors considered, yet, it's the only one expanded on in this discussion.

What other demographic categories are considered?

See Table 1 on page three of the report. Age, race, sex of both perps and victims.

89.5% of the killers are male. Males represent only 48.9% of the population.

Therefore, men are convicted of homicide by almost a 9 to 1 ratio in comparison to women.

65.5% of the killers are aged between 18-34. This age group represents only 26.2% of the population.

Therefore, young adults are convicted of homicide by almost a 3 to 1 ratio in comparison with older adults.

52.5% of the killers are Black. This racial group represents only 12.6% of the population.

Therefore, Blacks are convicted of homicide by almost a 1.1 to 1 ratio with all other races.

Wait, what??? I thought Blacks committed over half of the homicides in the US 1980-2000.

Right, and other racial groups committed just under half.

The odds (or probability) of being killed by a Black person as opposed to a person of another race in these years was about even ... 1.1. to 1.

"Even chance" is just not quite as scary as "over half" is it?

Further, as compared with just these three categories from Table 1 of the report (and there are 35 more pages worth of statistics if anyone is interested) we can see that:

Men are far more dangerous than any other group considered here. Three times more likely than young adults to kill, and about 8 times more likely than Blacks ... that is according to the numbers.

So, statistically at least, we should be far more concerned about Males than about Blacks.

That is, just according to "the facts."

(Some of you will quite rightly argue that I'm manipulating these numbers, and you're quite right.)

(And so are you.)

CX

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I hate it when they bring race into crime statistics.

You rarely hear about the percentage of white rich folk that commit bank fraud and other money related crimes, resulting in many society problems.

Another thing, if blacks are responsible for almost half of murders, that must mean whites and other races commit more than half...should we start a thread for that?

Just for the record, i'm not black....but i don't like one race being singled out either when their is a whoe load of other stuff going on in the world that gets ignored.

Maybe i'm wrong, maybe i have a point....please put me straight if i'm talking crap.

CX.
edit on 1/3/15 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: CX

Actually, according to the report, it's Blacks 52.5%, All Other Races 47.5%.

0.525/0.475=X/1

0.525/0.475=1.105/1 ... or a ratio of about 1.1 to 1.

So yeah, about an even chance.

That "fact" doesn't fit the scenario being played out here, though.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Mate, I live in uk. What I mean is given the right set of circumstances, people will do anything. When society breaks down is a major example, like the former Yugoslavia. I'm advocating nothing. I suspect, given said circumstances here, such as all benefits stopped, it wouldn't take long for anarchy to kick in.

If a certain demographic/people have less money and opportunity I guess a snowball affect starts. People doing something they wouldn't do if they were affluent...

What I or anyone else perceives as sufficient help may not actually be the reality.

Regarding about starvation, Im sorry I have to disagree slightly according to world life expectancy you are even lower than Mongolia in the malnutrition death rates and in 2013 a quarter of your population was on food stamps.
I'm not saying that is a reason but people are not getting the opportunity the USA used to be able to provide.

That aside, if you wanted to be controversial, I could say look at the issues that African countries got themselves into after the Europeans left...

in 2012, there were 437,000 homicides in the world and 36 percent of them occurred in the American continent, followed by Africa with 31 percent and Asia with 28 percent. Europe had only 5 percent and Oceania just .3 percent.

As people say the Brits are ruthless in war time when it comes to hand to hand combat, perhaps given a certain length of time, some general population traits and predilections arise that only a monumental shift of population and experience or Sufficiant generations can alter.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
we need a separate study to see how much of that 13% are living in poverty. that might be a big factor.
The other factor is hip hop music. keep telling yourself that music has no influence on people (especially kids)

So true this is the problem with statistics like this they don't give you the full picture, they don't explain why this is the case.

If you look at this statistic on its own with out any other factors influencing your views then you could only conclude that it must mean that black men are more violent and evil than other ethnic groups. That is just not true, I am sure that poverty and lack of education are huge influence on these statistics along with the gang culture and a whole raft of other factors that if removed would probably give us a much more proportional statistic. I am sure if you look at other states with a black ethnic minority were these factors are not such a huge influence, like say Finland or Australia that the figure would be much lower than almost half.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The statistic is fairly accurate, much as it is very politically incorrect to acknowledge, the politically correct and "non-racist" thing to do is bury ones head in the sand over realities like this.

My daughter was talking to a young man in her mentoring program for bright underprivileged children, about what he wanted to do when he grew up. The young black man said "After I get out of jail (this was a 8 year old child) then I want to start my own business."

It is now cultural and an expectation of even the youngest black men who live in the "projects"

Why the problem? Who created it?

The government

Welfare

When welfare was created the only way women and children could get help was if there was NO father in the home, NO adult male in the home. So fathers were forced by the government to abandon their families if they needed assistance.

Generations (plural) of black men have grown up without fathers, and do not know how to even be fathers, just sperm donors.

Generations of black women have grown up in single parent homes, and do not know how to relate to men in anything but a sexual way and have no idea of how to be a wife. Research is quite clear that intact families are optimal for raising emotionally healthy and successful children.

The children of welfare who do succeed, and they exist, are a rarity and are handicapped by not knowing how to be a loving wife or husband or father, due to generations without role models.

There is so much research out there that children in fatherless homes
are far more likely to commit crimes
that it would take pages of space in ATS to list even 1/4 of them.

Who drove black fathers out of homes
the government
through welfare policies

Who is keeping black children away from black adult male role models
Welfare
given to the black family courtesy of the Democratic Party years and years ago

Why are the majority of poor black children condemned to the projects
for generations?
A lack of intact families with role models for behavior that leads to academic and financial and social success
AND
Keeping these families in large groups to make the social behavior that causes poverty the norm for how to live
WHO DID THIS
the government through building projects

The OP told the naked very ugly truth
the black men
are products of
the Democratic Party
machine
done in the name of paternalistic care for black women and children

If you don't believe me, please check out the history of the development of welfare and who proposed the rules and who was behind the rules that caused this tragedy for generations of black men and black families. I am not making this up. So do your homework before screaming at me about hitting on the Democratic Party.

edit on 8Sun, 01 Mar 2015 08:01:28 -0600am30103amk010 by grandmakdw because: format

edit on 8Sun, 01 Mar 2015 08:02:38 -0600am30103amk010 by grandmakdw because: format

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

Wow, that's a lot of information there!

Not much that actually relates to the topic, but I understand never missing a chance to promote ideology. Right?

So, let me see if I can summarize or burrow down to your point through all the Republican Window Dressing:

Democrats are to blame for the fact that 52% of homicides were "committed by Blacks"?

Okay.

Does that mean that the Republicans are to blame for the 48% committed by non-Blacks?

I will bet not.

Shall we just shorten the way for you and blame the Democratic Party for all homicides?

Yeah, that seems reasonable.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There are a lot of gangs in existence.

All should be worried about the gangs running Wall Street and the White House.

Look at us, we STILL can't even talk about race without tearing the house up!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Let's stick to "the facts" in the same way that the OP does, eh?

What percentage of the population "on Welfare" is Black?

The answer is about 38.9%. Source

How many Americans on Welfare? 11,400,000

38.9% of 11,400,000 is 4,434,600 Blacks on Welfare.

Black population over the period of concern? Around 40-45 Million.

So around 10% of the overall Black population is on Welfare at any given time, give or take.

Hmmm....

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

But given that blacks make up a smaller portion of the population, wouldn't that point to that any given black person is more likely to be a killer? Less numbers committing an near equal portion.

I'm just pointing out the numbers like everyone else.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

If one desired to continue to play games with statistics and percentages ... sure.

I can also use the same stats to make the claim that the average White man is more likely to be a killer than a Black woman.

Or that the average woman 18-34 is more likely to be a killer than the average person older than 34.

Or since 90% of homicides are committed by men, you have a 9 in 1 chance of being killed by a man, that is on average.

All of those statistics ALSO follow from the report.

Why only emphasize one aspect on one page of the 35 page report?

Now THAT'S a good question!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3

Who's the pigs?
It sure as hell isn't Republicans or the US governmentI(I've worked for them they aren't THAT effective) or any law enforcement arm.
Soros dumped 33 million into an american tour of riots so who are the pigs?
edit on 1-3-2015 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Because their culture is contributing to the degradation of society. And because I must be rasict for saying that...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It never ceases to amaze me when somebody posts some obviously biased and inflammatory information that they've magically just happened to "stumble upon" and then bails on their own thread after they get the pot good and stirred.

Please, be more obvious. I'm having a hard time deciphering your intent.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Because their culture is contributing to the degradation of society. And because I must be rasict for saying that...

I wouldn't automatically say you're rasict.

What's your evidence?

Oh, and, specifically who is "their"? The Democrats? All Blacks? People who commit homicide?

Also, what degradation are you talking about? Maybe give some examples?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
not sure how accurate those facts are but i do believe the percentage of crime in the u.s is very disproportionate between minorities and whites. the higher ratio of crime by minorities, imo is because of a few factors, high percentages of minorities living with a lack of both parents, a lack of quality education, which leads to lower wages and dependence on the state, which leads to minorities living in impoverished crime infested areas, which leads to a life of unemployment, crime, drugs and jail, which leads to a greater chance of repeating the cycle.

higher quality of education would lead to better job/carreer opportunities.

both sexes also have to take greater responsibility when it comes to having children, whether it be birth control, rhythm/pull out method or abstinence until one is ready to start a family is also a very big factor imo.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
There are people here who can only think in two states:

1. MY opinion is the right one and no statistics nor personal experiences can be right if it is against MY opinion.
2. Discussing anything about minorities makes you a racist.

Black people are humans and just the same as anyone else, right?
Then why are they getting 'special' treatment?
Why is it so impossible to believe the statistics, they may be right?

Haven't we learned from the 'Rotherham child grooming scandal'?
Where asian gangs were getting away with rape and human trafficking [which had been known for years] but nobody wanted to take it further ...because of asians and being seen as 'racist' [well muslim men really, who played 'good' muslim at home but had no qualms abusing 'girls of other races'].

Ignoring something in order to look good for your bearded hipster friends doesn't solve anything.

Whilst there is no excuse ever for murder, especially not poverty [integrity costs nothing] there may still be reasons.

Culture/music is probably my number one reason if I could choose.

In order to 'help' make society better we NEED to discuss this. Calling people bigots for addressing a very real problem is pathetic. And not believing anything that is against your 'weltanschauung' doesn't make the problem go away.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

So, those are your opinions, correct?

Are they the right ones?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
long story short, family life + higher quality education = better career opportunities, which will lead to less crime.

we need to reverse the vicious cycle which leads to many minorities living in impoverished neighborhoods, those impoverished neighborhoods yield very little property tax dollars which fund low quality education like schools w 1 teacher to a 40 kid classroom filled w disruptive kids from homes w crappy family life, absent father/mother or both. we need to reverse the cycle.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Are not all opinions/experience a form of confirmation bias including yours?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join