It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Curiosity robot confirms methane in Mars' atmosphere

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The Curiosity robot confirms methane in Mars' atmosphere which may hint that existed life

As it's now confirmed that there's methane on mars and likely had life in the past says something of finding life in the future on the surface of mars.

Reports of plumes or patches of methane in the martian atmosphere that vary over monthly time scales have defied explanation to date.
implying that Mars is episodically producing methane from an additional unknown source

What does it mean, that they still think there's something on Mars that still producing methane and what could cause this methane to be produced ?

The tunable laser spectrometer in the SAM (Sample Analysis at Mars) instrument of the Curiosity robot has unequivocally detected an episodic increase in the concentration of methane in Mars' atmosphere after an exhaustive analysis of data obtained during 605 soles or Martian days.

I wonder what causes this episodic increase of methane. As on earth levels of methane are rising and some relate the booms and sinkholes all occurring around the world especially in the Siberian landscape are mysteries scientist still trying to unravel .

Do they have some relation whats measured by the Curiosity on mars due to some atmospheric changes we see on all the planets in our solar system today?

I don't know whats causing this but maybe some here could bring some theories that will satisfy my questions around this mystery ..

University of Granada

Peace..

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
If there was life once on Mars, could it have retreated into the subterranean areas like fault lines and impact craters?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

There seems to be allot of contradictory statements that moisture was captured on the camera lens of curiosity. Not proven of course but reading this article I begin to wonder the truth around those statements.

So yes if so I can imagine that there still could be life there..

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Everytime I read about life in caves, miles down, at the bottom of the ocean, or flourishing in sulfur vents, Mars is the first place that comes to mind. If the methane is belching out of the ground, maybe it's from prehistoric remains? I don't think it's an impossible theory.

I just hope that we tread lightly when potential digging up decaying organic matter from who knows how long ago...

a reply to: stormcell

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

The methane could be abiogenic. The presence of methane is not a certain indicator of past life on Mars.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

So, you're saying it's too early for fart jokes? 💨

👣

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Then I suppose we will see a decrease of oil-prices on the stock-market world wide when the first derricks go to mars?

I know that I've seen discussions going on about trunks on mars..

edit on 0b12America/ChicagoSat, 28 Feb 2015 19:24:12 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSat, 28 Feb 2015 19:24:12 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule
Nah. I like fart jokes.
And there is the possibility that the methane is from a biological source.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

We better send some petrogeologists, just in case.

astrobio.com

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

So, you're saying it's too early for fart jokes? 💨 👣

I think its from one of those cleaning guys standing to close to wipe of the dust from the panels?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

The methane could be abiogenic. The presence of methane is not a certain indicator of past life on Mars.

It's a pretty good one though...but, there is two things going on, the presence of Methane on Mars, and that it disappears quickly.

"These new and incontrovertible data open paths for new research that can identify the sources that produce this gas--which could include some type of biological activity--and the mechanisms by means of which the gas is eliminated with such inexplicable speed."
The comparisons of the presence of Methane between Earth and Mars seem to be clear enough though, most of Earth's Methane is thought to have been from a biological source.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

The largest amount of methane produced on Earth is from methanogens digesting the remains of dead plants. We have yet to find proof that there have been plants on Mars.
I am just saying that the subject is very debatable at this point.
Jupiter, Saturn and Uranus all have methane in their atmospheres.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

We better send some petrogeologists, just in case.

astrobio.com

They'll likely be there on Mars 3 whatever!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Life will be found on mars.
Just look at earth, life is everywhere, even in the places we used to think impossible.

Why shouldn't it be, I think thats a more relevant question.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   
It's more likely we would use synthetic bacterial culture to produce high octaine bio-fuels for rocket prepulsion should we not figure out magnetic vortex Generators during that time. Oil is already be phased out and brewery like plants are being errected that are harvesting synthetic forms of Gas created.

There's many bio-fuels in development right now. Which is most assuredly effecting the price of Oil. As research increases through the sheer force of funding being pushed in such sectors.

There are some Oil companies that are pushing for this as well, They want to get the competitive edge over other companies by producing self-sustaining facilities that don't need to move.

It costs a lot of money to clean up oil messes and to buy land, It costs even more money to do prospect drilling with has political and enviromental hurdles.

By eliminating those profit threats and establishing permenant facilities that develop and harvest these fuels they eliminate many of the Risk factors.

Also facilities can be set up close to major cities, Eliminating the need to transport via Pipelines over large distances and also eliminates much of the demand from train systems. Removing much of the danger from derailment. And removing much of the danger from pipeline damage, With crude-oil can have devistating effects.

Not everyone wants to keep pushing for Oil.

Because with this technology, it is very possible to create self-sustaining prepulsion in space. By having an interior facility that would basically create the fuel via Vats similar to what would be made for bio-fuels only replicated to sustain prepulsion in space.

In the Long run, Even if we phase out of rocket prepulsion type engines such technology would be used to Terra-form planets and as well as generating atmospheres for artificial domes on uninhabitable planets such as Mars.

I can't imagine rockets will stay for that long tho. But that's just me lol.

News- Synthetic biology Biofuels.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   

I think this only proves what we all know........there's life on Mars. It must be underground, and these Methane plumes must be from air that's vented from underground.
edit on 28-2-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I had the opposite impression, that it proves just how little we do know.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

have they yet proven there is NO plant life on Mars...?
edit on 1425228016Sunday31Sun, 01 Mar 2015 10:40:16 -0600amSunday40101031 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

edit on 1425228061Sunday31Sun, 01 Mar 2015 10:41:01 -0600amSunday41101031 by Ultralight because: spelling

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook
Maybe those glass tunnels do exist after all?

top topics

join