It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

GoFundMe is Sheriff Richard Macks' answer for medical bills instead of buying ACA insurance.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:37 PM

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: LewsTherinThelamon

You wouldn't even have to get rid of the insurance companies.

Just get the government out of it and these type plans would disappear. They don't work without government interference because they aren't based on logic or actuarial science.

Insurance is supposed to be a product that protects against catastrophic but rare events. That's how traditional insurance is priced and it doesn't work any other way from an actuarial perspective.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Insurance is not a finance vehicle for all healthcare. It is insurance.

Managed healthcare products would disappear by natural atrophy if the government was no longer involved. The healthcare insurance market would have to go back to making regular insurance products or go out of business.

What seems to be lost on many people is the fact that health insurance was a workaround or 'loophole' that employers began using in WWII to attract workers when the federal government imposed wage caps as a way to halt the staggering self-inflicted inflation problem.

Employers still wanted better employees (supply and demand are not eliminated under interventionism, just distorted) and with wage increases being removed from the equation, only 'fringe benefits' could be offered, health insurance being a major one. When the government lifted the wage cap health insurance wasn't dismantled but, instead became the norm.

At some point between then and now, health insurance (as opposed to health care) became perceived as some sort of right. I do not think that health care is a right any more than free food is a right but, the idea that insurance would be considered a right simply boggles my mind.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:39 PM

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
If you think this is a good idea for society, what do you do for those people who don't have a large following or an unknown or misunderstood disease. You just let those people suffer? Typical American attitude towards health provision. I'm alright Jack mentality

You guys just give them the standard approved treatment ... and if that treatment doesn't work for them or there is another treatment out there that might be better ... sucks to be you. Either you pay for all of it in England or you don't get it.

So don't talk about England as though it's health utopia. You can just as easily wind up falling through the cracks there as you can here.
edit on 28-2-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:40 PM
a reply to: olaru12

You can change coverages, plans, deductibles, MOPs, but you cannot negotiate rates with health insurance carriers. Choosing different options for your group is not the same as negotiating. All insurance is a contract. Terms are set. Sure, there are RAFs (Rating Adjustment Factor) that can fluctuate based on claim activity for a group, but the rates themselves cannot be negotiated.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:41 PM
a reply to: greencmp

And oh irony of ironies, it's the same party of compassion who is determined to cram us all into socialized care that created the current health care system we have by imposing those wage controls, too, because no one 'needs' to make that much money ...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:58 PM
1. Not having insurance can be like a death sentence. That being said the ACA went wrong do many ways we don't need to recap.
2. The picture on gofundme shows kids. How are they insured? Or are they just opting out of all the mandatory doctors visits and such?
3. I would like to know if this man has or had cable. He doesn't view insurance as an affordable part of his budget, is cable an affordable part of his budget? Oh, wait that's none of my business. Until he made the choice to put his life in the spotlight.

He made his choices, I choose to think he's a fool.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:58 PM
a reply to: Iamthatbish

But how is he wrong?

the ACA is goddamn terrible.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:00 PM
a reply to: olaru12

You do understand that under the ACA, the insurance companies MUST comply with the minimum care requirements, right?

so yeah, they do kinda hafta draw up their policies in a nearly identical way to the ones you get in the marketplace...

Saying that the ACA is a completely terrible piece of legislation isn't's an observation of reality.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:09 PM
a reply to: ketsuko

Maybe you can explain this to me.....

I keep seeing people say that the ACA is socialized medicine, when it's actually not...

an ACTUAL socialized system, would be something like what they have in the UK, Australia, or Canada....everyone pays tax, and everyone can see a doctor, get a tooth pulled, or have open heart surgery, with no out of pocket expense....

What we have with the ACA isn't anything like's the federal government telling you that you MUST buy a product from a private corporation.....and this product is so expensive, that you likely can't afford it...and then once you have this expensive thing that you can't afford, you find that you can't use it, because you've used all your money to buy the damned thing in the first you don't have anywhere near the amount of money it takes to hit the deductible, so you STILL end up paying for pretty much all of your medical expenses...

this is the federal government writing a blank check to the insurance companies, with OUR MONEY...

This is about as far from socialized medicine, as you can realistically get..

so maybe you can explain to me why people keep saying the ACA is socialized medicine..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>