It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet Skeletorus and Sparklemuffin! Newest species of peacock spider

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Even if you have arachnophobia, you've got to admit... These guys are pretty cool! And they're tiny, so fear not.

Two new species of spider, nicknamed Skeletorus and Sparklemuffin, have been discovered by researchers. Discovered in Queenstown, Australia, the creatures are new species of peacock spider. The spiders are given the moniker ‘peacock’ for their bright colours and also the bizarre dancing rituals that they use to attract mates.

Aren't scientists clever... At least they didn't it name it after themselves I suppose.

You can find a couple of older threads on peacock spiders & the males are the stars. They're the flamboyant characters that try to attract females with their brightly colored body features and by DANCING AND MAKING THEIR OWN BEATS!

It's a brutal business for the males, for if they're not up to snuff, the females leap onto them to feed. This video shows a few different peacock spiders getting down and provides the audio of the thumping and vibrating on the dancefloor; along with a bit of information from a researcher.

source

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Ha! Great names! Very cool to see these....I had never heard of peacock spiders before. One of my favorites that I have heard of and read about is the stained glass spider.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: six67seven
Peacock spiders are some of the freakiest spiders out there I think, but they are so cool. Also neat nicknames these people came up with

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
"That thing dont bite... do it?"

No, but really... The orange and blue colors, with the green eyes and white (fur?) makes for an astonishing spider. Not really something I want to see anywhere near me. When I think of brightly colored animals, arachnids, amphibians etc, I tend to associate that with something not to be messed with.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

That is a cool-looking spider!

But can he dance!?

Be sure to watch the video if you can, thats the best part. The researcher stretches pantyhose across a frame to make the dancefloor for the males to dance on, and the firmly stretched pantyhose allows the vibrating and thumping of their abdomen to be audible.

She has to use wax on the females to keep them in place because if the females dont dig the dance, she will pounce!
edit on 1447x6714America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago2 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

So I hate spiders, I try to be manly and pretend I dont but I do... : (

However these guys are fascinating. I watched your video and the dances music and color displays they have are amazing. Theres an exception to every rule.

These guys win my "I hate all spiders" exception. I like sparklemuffin. And for the record I never thought I would ever type those words...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Man that was a sweet video haha. Those female spiders are so brutal that they have to essentially glue them in place so they don't attack and eat the male for sucking at dancing and singing.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
a reply to: Vasa Croe

That is a cool-looking spider!

But can he dance!?

Only after he has had a couple of drinks

I have a few tarantula's.. they can be fascinating,
edit on 28-2-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-2-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Have to admit. I'm a grown man afraid of spider's .
But these guys are pretty cool.
As long as they are behind glass, so I can ponder in amazement.
And still have all my "NOPES". They do fascinate me.

Ahh! All spider's are Banana spider's!

m.livescience.com...
edit on 28-2-2015 by Bigburgh because: link

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
For anyone that doesn't know, peacock spiders are tiny. Like really, really tiny.

For a sense of scale:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Go Away!

Peace

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Jumping spiders like those are the only ones I find really tolerable. Jumpers can hang around my house in full view without me freaking out over it.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
Go Away!

Peace

Lol. I don't mean to laugh, I know spider threads make your skin crawl.

I'm guessing you didn't see their kickass dance moves... bummer.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Roxxo

Oh flip - they're so tiny how are you supposed to know if one is on you?

Well, I suppose if it's a sparklemuffin it's ok but the other little guy looks fierce.

We'll need microscopes to search under the bed before being able to sleep soundly now that they've been drawn to our attention

Thanks OP.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That's so adorable...

I love jumping spiders, had one in the house in oklahoma he lived under the computer desk because the back door was right there.

I would get some music going and he would crawl up on top of my desk ans seem to enjoy it.

Then he made the mistake of jumping on the wife...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'm another one who freaks out over spiders, but found this fascinating. Just keep them away from me and we are cool. I don't care how small they are. LOL

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Those spiders are really cool.

Thanks for posting. F&S

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
When I was young I was absolutely terrified of spiders now I crush them with my bare hands. Every spider I see. EVERY. ONE.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

That was inspiring and beautiful. So often spiders are shunned because of personal fears and the spiders "ugliness". These ones proved that spiders can be beautiful and majestic as well. Thanks!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven

originally posted by: jude11
Go Away!

Peace

Lol. I don't mean to laugh, I know spider threads make your skin crawl.

I'm guessing you didn't see their kickass dance moves... bummer.

Makes my skin crawl is an understatement but I just can't stop clicking on the links to spiders.

Peace

top topics

<<   2 >>

join