It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Astronaut's View of Earth, Chris Hadfield on Climate Change

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Interesting video featuring astronaut Chris Hadfield. He talks about climate change and how this is a very complicated system with many influences. Talks about China and being able to see the pollution from space and how its man made LOCAL climate change. They show how we have basically drained the 4th biggest sea in the world known as the Aral Sea. Then he goes on to say that we need to make change on a local level, individually.

Honestly after watching this video now I'm back on the fence about man made climate change. Maybe we are not totally responsible but we do obviously have a hand in it. Great video, guess I have to go back and rehash what I think now and see if I can draw more accurate conclusions.

I guess the question really is for me now is, to what extent is it man made?
edit on 2/28/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Like he said, me, myself and I are the only ones that can affect change.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oh i totally agree with that.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I always figured that blasting such big rockets off into space must have some effects .I also figured that giving up the auto might have a small effect . It did have a big effect on my pocket book but probably didn't have much effect on the bigger picture .I am only 60 so what I have been able to notice locally in my life time is pretty much the same old same old . The mere fact that our climate and weather has such a large swing seasonally tells me that a few 10ths or a few 100ths overall is not of great concern .

I think the AGW scare tactic and the fact that the same group is trying to save any semblance of their models being close to predictive is another attempt to clutch at straws .It was always about pollution in reality but they (tptb) want to continue to pollute while passing along the costs to us via taxes to keep them in their Ivory towers . LA used to be nearly as bad a China is now but China is starting to make the moves CA did to address the local pollution .

Time will tell how this plays out but dont expect the weather or the climate to change because of what we can do .We are quite small in a lot of ways and know how to adapt ,move and migrate based on environmental conditions .

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Yeah you know the thing that got me was when he said, "complex". He basic alluded to the fact that there are so many variables that its hard to predict. I mean think about it. They are on one hand trying to say that we are the sole reason for climate change yet on the other they can't create an accurate model that can predict weather patterns...

So what this tells me is they are full of # because if they knew anything about the climate we would have more accurate abilities to predict future climate which we don't. They can barely predict the weather tomorrow let alone tell me whats happening in the macrocosm of the climate.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

True what you say . The thing is ,is that the scientist are churning out papers that can show mathematically probabilities that get past peer review that turn out to be non-sensible when deconstructed by honest mathematicians . The debate at the higher levels comes down to arguing what the word if,or,and but could mean .

They once used a thermometer and recorded whole degrees and was usually rounded up .They are some how now have the ability to go back a 100 years and change the past to be accurate in 100ths of a degree . This adjusted data is then purposed to be accurate . Despite the models diverging from reality to a greater extent every day they are fighting harder to save them .

They used to be against us, but now Hollywood is on the side of the angels in mocking global warming

clip_image001The science of climate has had intense scrutiny for the last ten years and more with the result that we now know why the planet warmed in the second half of the 20th century and why it is going to cool instead from here. Yet the meme of global warming continues, seemingly unstoppable and immune to facts.

Politically, global warming peaked out at COP 15 in Copenhagen in December 2009 when heads of state of countries accounting for the bulk of the world’s GDP were in attendance. They don’t bother to attend now – it is mainly time-servers who turn up. But global warming’s momentum is still resulting in destructive and pointless legislation and regulation in the English-speaking parts of the planet.

Commercial storytelling in the form of movies has reinforced the global warming meme. As a plot device, global warming itself isn’t scary enough as the result of global warming would simply be warmer rain. So, for the movie world, global warming was somehow the cause of intense cooling. This was the plot device of the film The Day After Tomorrow in which the protagonist battles wolves in a frozen New York.

A movie just out, Kingsmen: The Secret Service, indicates that the cultural tipping point has been reached. It is now safe and commercially profitable for moviemakers

to mock belief in global warming. The plot is that an evil billionaire by the name of Richard Valentine believes that humans, who cause global warming, are a virus killing the planet. To stop global warming, he sets out to kill a large proportion of humanity. His evil plan, which is much the same as the dreams of the green movement, is thwarted by people who dress well and have impeccable manners.
wattsupwiththat.com... there should be no shortage of material or actors in this episode . If Al Gore could do what he did then I say have at it and lets get a good laugh .or cry lol

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Climate change has the marks of an academic and governmental scam. When you remove the academics whose jobs and advanced degree hinge on toeing the global climate change line and the politicians who sell carbon credits you have nothing. The government uses the EPA to restrict commerce and individual freedoms. To me, this whole thing sounds pretty anti-american when the two biggest polluters have made "no" changes to clean-up their messes. Only the US is making changes to the deleterious effect on our economy. China and India's economies improve and we get handcuffed. Sounds like wealth redistribution to me and nothing to do with clear air!

top topics

join