It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Input please...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Ummm...I'm new to this forum...I've posted a few threads...Yet out of my nine threads so far I've posted mainly poetry...and one essay...

I guess what I mean to say is...should...there be a forum dedicated to poetry...only...?

I guess my concern is in clogging up the "Short Story" forum with poems...cause let me tell you I've got...BOOKS...worth of poems to share with you...and some sci-fi and horror stories...

I know that poetry isn't everyone's schtick...so what do you think...A forum called Poets nook...or poets corner...or simply Poetry...?

Or are my concerns unfounded...?

YouSir

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I am also a newbie here. In my roaming, I came across an area where you can suggest a site. I cannot tell you where that was as I can't recall much on Saturdays , but perhaps someone can better advise you...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

You need to show your work -the net demands content. Without it the Net will die.

Undraped photos are also acceptable - Im told
edit on 28-2-2015 by Borisbanger because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
In the last year I've seen far more poetry posted in this section than short stories. I could say the same for the literature section to a lesser extent. Having been a moderator before, I'd say it's fine in either section as long as it isn't disruptive or spammed. Also, considering this is primarily a conspiracy forum these side-forums are probably a low-priority for the staff.

I'm just generalizing from past experience though, I'm sure an official here will be along to chime in shortly.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Ummm...I thought about posting this in the "Board Business" forum...I chose to post it here to gauge what the reaction of those that post in this forum might be...

If the members who post here determine a path forward...then I'll broach this in "Board Business"...I really don't wish to unsettle the forum if a majority don't care for poetry...yet I can definitely see that it has a place here on ATS...due to the many members that share their poems here...

Thank you

YouSir
edit on 28-2-2015 by YouSir because: There was an unneeded word......imagine that...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger

Ummm...and...indeed I shall...

I just want to make sure that it has a proper place in the right format without stepping on any toes or causing someone to shy away from this forum simply because of a dislike for a certain format...

I really like this forum and want everyone else to enjoy it as well...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I agree with the need of a poet's corner, but my biggest problem with these forums is I never see anyone giving much feedback. That's the purpose of posting, I'd think.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CretumOrbis

Ummm...I've also noticed that more poetry gets posted as well...which led to my question...

I've also noticed that more members seem to cruise on by the poetry than stop and consider...and that only a core group comment...

Perhaps that's the nature of threads here...I'm too noob participating in their creation to really know...
I do know that there is a huge demographic for poetry and if there was a dedicated forum...maybe it might attract more members to the site...

Thank you

YouSir
edit on 28-2-2015 by YouSir because: An E for an A...any takers...?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Silenceisalie

Ummm...if there was a dedicated forum for poetry then perhaps that might change...maybe it could be a positive influence and there could be "critique" sessions...I know that I love it when someone takes the time to seriously critique my work...

There could also be collaborative poetry jam sessions where one poster would write a line or stanza and another poster the next...etc....

There could also be challenges...where someone would suggest a topic and challenge another poster to write a poem to the topic...etc...

I think it would be fun...informative...and instructional...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I would definitely be up for a Poetry Forum. I write more poetry then short stories. I too would appreciate more feedback. I tend to only post what I have newly written rather than past work.
edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: To add additional comment.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: grayeagle

Ummm...That right there is what I'm talking about...INSPIRATION...I think a forum dedicated to poetry would inspire reams of new effort and talent...

Maybe we could instill a certain encouragement...and ...YES...I for one want to read your previous poetry as well as your new writing...

3 votes in the affirmative thus far...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Are some rules needed..say one specializes in awful doggerel or embarrassing rhyme, is quality control an issue ?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Borisbanger

Ummm...TBH...I think the Site T&C's pretty much cover vulgarity and intent to embarrass...

IMO...I think that freedom of speech should be balanced by a responsibility to "do no harm"...however...that also doesn't mean that we should succumb to a PC offense seeking syndrome either...

Trust me...I've been to poetry readings that we're definitely...colorful...and I never want to experience that again...thank you very much...

So...in short...YES..there should be structure and it should be something agreeable to all participants...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I'm no poet but I love to read and speculate the inspiration behind the words.

I vote YES!
edit on 1425160626Saturday28Sat, 28 Feb 2015 15:57:06 -0600pmSaturday5730328 by Ultralight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

I've also noticed that more members seem to cruise on by the poetry than stop and consider...and that only a core group comment... Perhaps that's the nature of threads here...

and

I do know that there is a huge demographic for poetry

Could you provide more information here on how huge it is?

Only a core group comment because only that group is really interested in poetry perhaps.

It is the same for short stories, only those members that like short stories will comment. It is what it is.

I am always thrilled when someone reads my work. I certainly do not expect hundreds to do so. This is not a site where people come to read short stories. They come here to read about conspiracies.

Short stories is a place they can come too to take a break and relax.

P

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

Ummm...Thank you Ultralight...I truly wonder if perhaps there might be a poet somewhere within you...just waiting to be born...I also think that's a great part of why I write...the pure speculative nature of this wonderfully enigmatic experience we all share...

Welcome to ATS...

YouSir

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Ummm...why the pessimism my friend...

As you can see a new member to the site (post above yours) chose to comment in this thread in a positive manner...While I hardly think it was poetry in general that brought him to ATS...it is telling that he was perusing the short story forum and this thread dealing with poetry in general...

The demographic that I spoke of is indeed huge as evidenced with this study which reflects that over 60% of United states residents read and or write poetry...That's just the US...extrapolate that out to the rest of the world population and you begin to see that over a billion persons use poetry in some fashion...

I also beg to differ on what ATS is...from my observations ATS is primarily a "breaking news" discussion site with a smattering of conspiratorial topics...We also have NLBS whose premise seems to be eliminating even those conspiracies from the site...

People come here for a myriad of reasons...entertainment being chief amongst them...

Thank you

YouSir

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I am sorry but ....

The survey was conducted by the National Opinion Research Center (NORC) at the University of Chicago on behalf of The Poetry Foundation. T

It also had only 1000 participants. It was a study bought and paid for by the Poetry Foundation. I do not think there are 60% of people in the US that read for pleasure let alone reading poetry.

In fact, the first warning sign in that report was ...

Respondents included adults who currently read or listen to poetry, those who have read poetry in the past but no longer do so, and those who have never read poetry.

Everyone was forced to read some poetry at school so to include "those who have read poetry but no longer do so" is one way to really bump up those numbers.

I am not knocking poetry but I cannot agree with the comment of a 'Huge' demographic.

P

edit on 1/3/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Ummm...I see...so you don't like poetry...that's fine...

Out of curiosity...why have you chosen to spend so many pixels commenting in this thread and on the purported size of a demographic as opposed to addressing the actual premise of the thread...?

I would certainly appreciate it if you could remain on topic and not side track the thread premise when responding in the future...if that's not too much to ask...

Thank you

YouSir

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Ummm...I see...so you don't like poetry...that's fine...

That is an assumption!

Out of curiosity...why have you chosen to spend so many pixels commenting in this thread and on the purported size of a demographic as opposed to addressing the actual premise of the thread...?

Because you kept answering.

I would certainly appreciate it if you could remain on topic and not side track the thread premise when responding in the future...if that's not too much to ask...

This thread would be a damn site shorter if I did that

Yea sure. Have your own little corner and just watch what happens when only those interested in poetry drop by.

At the current time, everyone who likes short stories clicks on the threads and probably reads the poetry. You generally don't know it is a poem until you have clicked on it.

So yes, if you have your own little corner you may just reduce your exposure. I do not like many poems, but I also don't mind reading them for the odd one that says something that hits me.

P

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join