It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Lord with his Dogs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Kantzveldt

Well he almost looks like he is fully dressed in the fourfold nature of a cherubim. 

Man, eagle, lion, bull.

Is nergal associated to the bull also? Are those little horns on his head?

The standard is topped and crossed with what look like horns, and there is some agreement that it probably represents a tree...

An Assyrian standard, which probably represented the "world column", has the disc mounted on a bull's head with horns. 

This tree looks like a pillar, and is thrice crossed by conventionalized bull's horns tipped with ring symbols which may be stars, the highest pair of horns having a larger ring between them, but only partly shown as if it were a crescent. The tree with its many "sevenfold" designs may have been a symbol of the "Sevenfold-one-are-ye" deity. This is evidently the Assyrian tree which was called "the rod" or "staff".

What mythical animals did this tree shelter? Layard found that "the four creatures continually introduced on the sculptured walls", were "a man, a lion, an ox, and an eagle".

www.sacred-texts.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

The triple headed dog was celebrated in terms of three seperate dogs at Hatra, one black, one red and one white, the dogs of apocalypse as it were.

Curious how there is always some overlap between religions, even ancient religions compared to elements of contemporary ones.

Take these three dogs of the apocalypse in that carving for example...the parallels between them and with the three headed dog Cerberus, that guards the entrance to the underworld is striking.

Common religious roots i suppose.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Wifibrains

Right after i posted about the similarity between elements of differing religions, you posted.

Those beings 'with the four faces', are an exact replica of the account of Ezekiel wheels...beings piloting the wheels within wheel had four faces, faces of Man, eagle, lion, bull.

How strange.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

There must have been considerable overlap with development of Mithra, well done on finding something out about the standard.

The connection of Leo with death and the role of the woman in red offering a new way forward is of course what i looked at previously here in connection with the Lost sign, were Leo could represent the end of a way of life, so i think all sorts of extended meanings derive from that.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Leo coincides with the fall equinox, whereafter the light gives way to darkness, In effect the begining of the end of a solar cycle. A death or journey through the underworld occurs until solstice when the sun is reborn... in Scorpio.

edit on 1-3-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Ok, I may be a little slow to catch on here, but is this a precursor to Islam or Islam.
and could the addition of my 3rd dog be the reason for none of the Muslims in my complex walking by my house now?

edit on 3/1/2015 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

You'd have to rotate that around counter clockwise a quarter of course for when the symbolism of Leo as the height of summer was formulated relating to 6,500 years ago, but it's a nice diagram.

a reply to: iwontrun

Yes a Black red and white dog would scare most Muslims, especially if it had three heads and one body with a serpents tail, probably not just Muslims...

edit on Kam33159vAmerica/ChicagoSunday0131 by Kantzveldt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Yeah, I'd say this chart was for the last 2000 years or so...

A quarter turn brings the same four creatures into play the roles they are aligned with in the suns journey according to the mythology and teachings in solar sychronised cults and religions at the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join