It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If You Could...Would You?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Imagine a hypothetical future, perhaps a near future just around the corner, where nanotechnology and medical science has triumphed and at last has cracked the quintessential nature of life and how to extend our lives easily with a simple procedure, a minor alteration to our genes that can not only radically extend our natural lifespan, but extend it for as long as we would want it to be...literally millennia if that is what we chose (barring accidental or homicidal death)..essentially, we could each of us become immortal in our own skins.

But the price for this godlike immortality?

We would have to give up being parents, giving birth to offspring...we could have no families, we would be sterile.

Would a lifespan of thousands of years, possibly longer be something that would interest the average individual?
For exploration, it would be invaluable of course, and we would colonise worlds that we who are alive right now today, would be able to see with our own eyes..but would it be a price that you could pay?

Would you trade being a parent and all the wonder and joy that goes along with having children and being a family, for immortality?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

I would sacrifice parenthood for immortality

However

I would at some point commit suicide in order to release myself from physical existence

I researched OBEs and NDEs

We are not supposed to stay in the physical forever, but I wouldn't mind few more years

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

we would stagnate as a species. If we didnt have increasing populations we wouldnt need to go into space to colonize anything. We also wouldnt risk it. a single life would be too valuable to risk sending out into space. Thats it for humanity, no more Joes left and we are down to our last Jose. If you are alive you live at peace eating mangoes and swimming forever. If you knew that you could just do that forever and not die, then why risk it all for the chance to colonize a place we dont need?

also why work? Why do anything? Most people would just eat mangoes and swim....not make increasingly awesome crap.

we would all become happy idiots- Then something would just kill us off because the privileged population left to live for ever as humanity didnt reproduce.

I think having kids makes you immortal. I am the immortality of my ancestors. My children inherit the spirit that sparked life into everyone before me and into myself which will give life to everyone after me...and into the future generations of humanity....and their future I take claim to now by my seed-

edit on 2 28 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
What if we already had created the family, and then took the procedure?

I certainly wouldn't mind being around for a long time. I love learning, but there is not enough time to learn as much as i want to learn. Such a thing would allow me that privilege. Considering I have a medical condition that will, likely, limit me in years; the idea of living for much longer then that, I'd jump at the chance.

The freedom of knowing one has time, is akin to a poor man suddenly winning the lottery. Time is our currency, each individual only has so much currency (time).

Spend your time wisely, would loose it's meaning, as we could do so much more. I don't see work, and inventions, and the trappings of this existence loosing it's meaning. I see much more potential tho, if great minds could have more time.

More time... yes, please?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

If we didnt have increasing populations we wouldnt need to go into space to colonize anything.

Oh, but we would.

Exploration and discovery would be reason enough in and of itself wouldn't it? Next to the drive to procreate (which is why i posed the question) our drive to discover the new and solve the riddles that perplex us as a species, is seemingly programmed into genes.

We live to either replicate or discover.

Then there's the question of insurance when talking about Human expansion into the Cosmos...if, well actually when, another Cosmic barrage hits our planet, whether that is in the form of high velocity, massive asteroids and meteorites / comets striking our world, or other natural but equally catastrophic ELE's, to be confined to our single small world is similar to having all our eggs in the same basket and throwing that basket off the top of a mountain and hoping at least two of the eggs will survive to make more eggs....if we don't reach out into space and keep our eggs in many separate baskets, we'll get..ahem..scrambled at some point and wink out. (that's enough of the egg metaphor i think)

What i'm saying is resource acquisition isn't the only or even the main reason to spread our species out far and wide.

As far as work goes...most of us wouldn't be doing anything so...mortal.

Remember, this modern marvel of technology, our hypothetical life extension technology, is aided and abetted by nanotechnology. A tech which will enable the vast majority of the manual tasks to be carried out by machines made from billions of microscopic machines, able to reorganise and change form and characteristics at will to create any tool and device anything we need or want..instantly.

We would be a species at leisure. A species on the verge of a godlike existence, with literally the galaxy at our fingertips.

With an entire Galaxy, and then an entire cosmos to discover, explore, manipulate and do with as we wish, even immortality would not give us enough time to get bored or send us into a sedentary existence, there'd be not enough time...ironically.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

This question is like asking would you give up X for a million pounds -sure why not I can always give it away when it becomes a burden.

But would you take/steal somebody else's years if you could add them to your own... is for another thread

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Cygnis

That would be OK...as your family would already exist in their own right, and so will face the choice of procreate and live a lifespan comparable to today's average, or remain childless and live for as long as they desired to and experience all that would entail.

Sorry to read you have a condition that is threatening you..that must be hard for you. But then again, we're all living with that knowledge really aren't we?

It's only really a question of how long we get to live, not if it will end, because presently it most definitely will end in a relatively short period of time.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Immortal flesh? Yuch…

Our spirits are already immortal.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LotToTell2

This is a difficult question for me, even though i posed the question in this thread.

I have a family. My feelings for them are beyond compare...i cannot imagine life having any meaning without them.

But i didn't always feel that way before i had children.

As a young man, i dismissed having children as an indulgence, as an aspect of existence that people feel compelled by biologic compulsions to fulfil...i saw it as necessary to our species survival of course, but not something i would want nor could imagine myself being positive about when i was asked these kinds of questions about having a family.

I felt that way until i became a Father and then i understood what it meant to love unconditionally. I didn't have a clue before. Becoming a Father is the single most important thing i have done in my entire life.

If it meant going back in time and changing my mind about having kids in exchange for an almost immortal existence and all the fantastic discovery and experiences that would probably bring, i wouldn't change a thing i have done in my life and would have my family again.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LotToTell2

We are not supposed to stay in the physical forever

Agreed. For me the question is not giving up the ability to procreate on a purely biological level, but instead whether I want to submit forever to a kind of state that is really a form of spiritual disablement. It's like saying, do you love your automobile so much that you would want to be welded inside it permanently. Because that is what the body is - a vehicle. Something that carries that kernel pattern of energy we refer to as a soul for a little stretch of its journey of discovery. We gather experiences and learn lessons while in this body, but we forget that to enter it, we had to disable a staggering number of the spirit's bonus features. If you have even an inkling of those, you will understand that the desire for an immortal life limited to one physical body is actually a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome.

I want to know the Out Door which we commonly know as death is still there. And can still open for me... Even if it is not today or tomorrow or the day after...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
.....where nanotechnology and medical science has triumphed and at last has cracked the quintessential nature of life and how to extend our lives easily with a simple procedure, ......

I'll stop right there.

"OUR" lives? No, "THEIR" lives. Unless one is uber-rich and one of the elite this would never happen to the common person. There always will be class divide and social injustice created by and quietly supported by meglomanics.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Why would an immortal body to house and support an immortal spirit be a bad thing?

Why do people seem to imagine the two have to be mutually exclusive i wonder...if the body is good enough as a kind of spiritual support system, a flesh and bone vehicle to transport the spirit in the physical dimension, why are we so keen to shed the body to free the spirit, when the body is it's conveyance?

The only reason to free the spirit i can see is to allow it to travel without the constraints and inherent weaknesses of the physical body...if we could scientifically remove or mitigate those weaknesses and constraints through radical life extension technolgy...why would the spirit need to leave?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

The lesson we are supposed to learn here is the flesh is weak. Its only a vessel.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
80 to 100 years on this earth is enough in my opinion. To live 500+ years on an increasingly violent Earth, that is becoming more and more apathetic to one another, is a hell in and of itself.

I also have to wonder what immortality would do to the unemployment rate and quality of life.

There is only one reason that I can possibly see me volunteering for a procedure such as this; That is to see if man will finally get over fighting and funding wars and leave the solar system.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

a reply to: Cygnis

That would be OK...as your family would already exist in their own right, and so will face the choice of procreate and live a lifespan comparable to today's average, or remain childless and live for as long as they desired to and experience all that would entail.

Sorry to read you have a condition that is threatening you..that must be hard for you. But then again, we're all living with that knowledge really aren't we?

It's only really a question of how long we get to live, not if it will end, because presently it most definitely will end in a relatively short period of time.

Indeed, no one gets out alive.

In the end, death comes for us all, one way or another.

Still, even at the very end, man would ask for 1 more day.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

.....where nanotechnology and medical science has triumphed and at last has cracked the quintessential nature of life and how to extend our lives easily with a simple procedure, ......

I'll stop right there.

"OUR" lives? No, "THEIR" lives. Unless one is uber-rich and one of the elite this would never happen to the common person. There always will be class divide and social injustice created by and quietly supported by meglomanics.

As our societal systems stand right now...you're right. It wouldn't be about US, but more about THEM.

But that is due to our social systems, and not due to any paradigm written in stone surely? Without a world burgeoning under the weight of birthrates outstripping natural death rates, without the governing structures and hierarchical systems we have, there would only be an US...not a THEM.

Well, perhaps there would be a THEM, but they would not be the elites, they would be those who chose to have offspring naturally, live a paltry 70 or 80 years constantly trying to accumulate as much as possible in as short a period of time as possible because the sound of the ticking clock is always registering in their psyche, mentally dragging each of them towards the grave.

Without the increasingly louder ticking clock pervading our subconscious minds, we would be free to achieve the fantastic and the impossible.

Is this our destiny as a species or would this make us less Human, not more so?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: nerbot

I'll stop right there.

That's almost the premise of the movie "In Time". Sure, everyone can be immortal... but only if you have the financial means to buy more time.
edit on 2/28/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

The lesson we are supposed to learn here is the flesh is weak. Its only a vessel.

Yes, but only today.

Tomorrow, it may be quite, quite different.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

That film highlights what i think would be the the early days of technology that could give us immortality.

The desperate last gasps of a mindset entrenched in the current paradigm of haves and have nots..i doubt that once we asa species realised the massive potential immortality would convey to us and the astounding feats we could achieve once we dropped the old thinking once and for all, we could spread our wings and truly live unconstrained by the constant nagging clock.

Of course, immortality is a term in respect of lifespan only...it doesn't account for murder, fatal accidents, or suicide.

IOW, if you wanted the merry-go-round to stop for you personally, there would be ways to rediscover that doorway to the grave and oblivion.

edit on 28-2-2015 by MysterX because: added text.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   

OP, let's add another sore-point equation into your factors of wanting immortality.
You want to work forever? Do you have the mistaken idea that you can work for a few decades and then kick back and live forever on your retirement? Not likely. Seems like a major adjustment is required with that scene. Plus, deathlessness if fully extend to all humans means that the population of the earth would, of course, explode over its traditional manner of increases.

Death is necessary for you, me and everybody else to appreciate life. Eliminate the inevitable and you would have Hell on earth in short order.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join