It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your favorite cryptids and why you love them

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Kitsune! the ancient Japanese Demon Fox!

Sexy Shapeshifter sun goddess animal spirit

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Is the Mothman a cryptid though? It seems to be up for debate as cryptids are generally considered to be animals that possibly exist, but can't be proven. The Mothman is generally believed to be of equal or greater intelligence to humans and probably an alien or ultra-terrestrial.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Inthewakeofdark

Nice! Japan has some weird mythological tales. Have you heard of the ningen? I think I read a thread about it somewhere on ATS. It's like some massive semi-humanoid looking sea creature. Very strange.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:26 AM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort

No I havent! Looking up now.....
OMG SCARY

btw
I think a good test for a cryptid is to think of the animal/creature and ask yourself, could I have imagined this without stimuli? If so, It's a cryptid!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:49 AM
link   

imagine waking up to that ugly face! and having to tell everyone about it too!
but for a more serious answer, i would have to say mermaids.
Not that i believe they exist, but the mythology surrounding them is incredible fascinating, there is lots to b discussed and i have been reading about them for a few years now.
Going back to Babylonia with Dagon/Oannes i love this idea of how even so long ago, at some subconscious level, we were aware of out connection to the sea, every culture no matter how far from the sea has stories of half human/half fish creatures living in lakes or rivers.
then there is the argument bout how mermaids were used by various religions as a way to symbolize the "dangers" of female sexuality and the desires of the flesh, by painting women with this dual nature, both alluring and demonic.
Speaking of paintings, mermaids were used by many painters as a way to circle around the censorship of the era, when it was said that you could not paint naked women, but being that mermaids are not real women, painters could use that loophole to their advantage.
There is a lot more to be said, but i rather not hog up a bunch of space for something most people find only marginally interesting!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Your single post is more interesting than half the threads up right now.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
My favorite cryptid is the jackalope. Mainly because the idea of them is so silly.
I know that they don't exist, but I have heard people say that they do.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

My favorite has got to be bigfoot.

Although, I have seen the Appalachian Black Panther. Sadly, my sighting isn't wholly creditable, even to myself, as I saw it the day I got my wisdom teeth pulled and was still under the effects of the medication. I mean, I know I saw it, but I can't be sure if it was there. lol. True story.

But yeah, Carolina Panthers, like as in, the football team... I think it's a real animal.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Mine would have to be the Mongolian Death Worm.
Always loved the stories and artist pictures of this electrically charged acid spitting monster worm.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Rabun County "black painters"

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   
My fav is viruses from space but the brontosaurus from the amazon is a close second.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: seattlerat

originally posted by: skunkape23
I've heard a big 'Thing in the Woods."
I would like to know what that was.
It scared the crap out of a few of us.

What did it sound like? I used to live near Mt. Ranier and on many occasions encountered elk and heard their eerie "alien" calls to each other. This is also where I witnessed UFOs, probably casing the elk.

I heard it inhale. I could tell that it had massive lung volume, and then it let out a low rumbling growl.
The only thing I could imagine that could make such a sound is an elephant, but this is in Texas.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I have many but living in Australia I have to go with the drop bear a super sized koala with big fangs and claws and a strong bum that can smash cars tanks e.c.t from falling high from the gum trees mainly a made up beast to put fear in the Japanese if they ever invaded in world war 2. the reason why I there my fav is when we have tourist come to our town and they are going bush we say watch out for the drop bears we tell them the story they asked have you ever seen one we say no but you know when there around as you can here them ? what do they sound like ? a cross between a lion and a gorilla . so funny has any one heard a koala mate as that's what they sound like

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse

imagine waking up to that ugly face! and having to tell everyone about it too!
but for a more serious answer, i would have to say mermaids.
Not that i believe they exist, but the mythology surrounding them is incredible fascinating, there is lots to b discussed and i have been reading about them for a few years now.
Going back to Babylonia with Dagon/Oannes i love this idea of how even so long ago, at some subconscious level, we were aware of out connection to the sea, every culture no matter how far from the sea has stories of half human/half fish creatures living in lakes or rivers.
then there is the argument bout how mermaids were used by various religions as a way to symbolize the "dangers" of female sexuality and the desires of the flesh, by painting women with this dual nature, both alluring and demonic.
Speaking of paintings, mermaids were used by many painters as a way to circle around the censorship of the era, when it was said that you could not paint naked women, but being that mermaids are not real women, painters could use that loophole to their advantage.
There is a lot more to be said, but i rather not hog up a bunch of space for something most people find only marginally interesting!

I found your comment fascinating. I didn't know about the censorship issue or how far back tales of mermaids dated. This is why I love ATS. I learn about so many interesting topics, all the time. It's great!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: vip867
Mine would have to be the Mongolian Death Worm.
Always loved the stories and artist pictures of this electrically charged acid spitting monster worm.

I saw the episode of Monster Quest where they went searching for that. Up until then I had never heard of it. The folklore is pretty cool though. It would be wicked frightening to come upon something like that in real life.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: normipoo
I have many but living in Australia I have to go with the drop bear a super sized koala with big fangs and claws and a strong bum that can smash cars tanks e.c.t from falling high from the gum trees mainly a made up beast to put fear in the Japanese if they ever invaded in world war 2. the reason why I there my fav is when we have tourist come to our town and they are going bush we say watch out for the drop bears we tell them the story they asked have you ever seen one we say no but you know when there around as you can here them ? what do they sound like ? a cross between a lion and a gorilla . so funny has any one heard a koala mate as that's what they sound like

I would be more scared of the documented creatures. Box jellies, Funnel webs, brown snakes, sea snakes, stone fish, crocodiles, etc... Damn Australia, you scary!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I haven't notice anyone mention the native American Thunderbird.They seem to be quite real to them.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Mine would have to be the Navajo Skinwalker. It can shapeshift, move very fast, and there are many terrifying stories about them.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I always quite liked the ingot or lingot worm, sounded like a strange beast, with its bright blue eyes

suspect its pure myth though

^ me typing that sentence has probably just expanded the number of internet references to it by 20%

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Possibly a little late to the discussion, like the cameraman on a Bigfoot hunt, lol!!

Mine, obviously is Bigfoot! The big guy is fascinating to me. Back in 2005, while driving on 412 through Oklahoma. I was about 20 miles from the Arkansas border when nature called. I found a turnoff that had some big dumsters in it so I thought i'd pull off, clean out the truck and take care of the nature call. Two birds, one stone....anyways, I went behind the dumpster to relieve myself when I noticed a huge, well, poop! I didn't think much of it and started my business when I heard something move about 30 yards away from me. I looked but really didn't catch a glimpse of anything, and that's when I heard a grunt!! My hair stood up and I didn't bother investigating. I left in a hurry...I know, not a smoking gun, but at the time, it had me thinking....

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join