It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Bright Light on Ceres......?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Another bright light on Ceres? Wha? What could this mean, ATS?

Washington (AFP) - The discovery of another bright light on the dwarf planet Ceres has NASA scientists perplexed as the US Dawn probe prepares to enter the orbit of the largest object in the asteroid belt and possibly resolve the mystery.

Related Stories

Mystery Spot on Dwarf Planet Ceres Has Mysterious Partner (Photos) SPACE.com
We've never seen the dwarf planet Ceres up close. That's about to change. Vox.com
Mysterious Bright Spots Shine on Dwarf Planet Ceres (Photos) SPACE.com
NASA Briefing to Discuss First Spacecraft Arrival at a Dwarf Planet PR Newswire
The images taken nearly 29,000 miles (46,000 kilometers) from Ceres show that a bright spot on the planet scientists previously discovered appears next to another slightly darker spot, NASA said in a news release.

The light appears in the same basin as the other spot, images released by NASA show.

Is it a warning from something? Is it a beacon from a stranded alien vessel? the excitement is building for me. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
What say ATS?

Uh, a whole bunch of people beat you to it Op.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
My wish/hope is that it's alien garbage. We humans could still learn a ton from some intergalactic garbage!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Have a look at the video, and chew on it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: bkfd54

This is a second sighting.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Im sitting on pins and needles. Cant wait to March 6th. Then again, we could have a camera failure, or the data link goes down for some unexplained reason.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

They are nuking themselves.

It's our turn next.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
It's a gigantic glass dome, pressurized with air, where people don wings and fly in the low gravity.

Wait....I think I read that before in a book by Larry Niven......

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
You can't be a beacon if your light don't shine!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

This is also my understanding.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye

Im sitting on pins and needles. Cant wait to March 6th. Then again, we could have a camera failure, or the data link goes down for some unexplained reason.

Yes, this is very exciting. It will be awesome if the light(s) are from a crashed alien spaceship or maybe a desolate alien research outpost where they conduct experiments.
edit on 27-2-2015 by lostbook because: word change

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

second sighting, havn't been here long i see, take it easy big fella

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

originally posted by: All Seeing Eye

Yes, this is very exciting. It will be awesome if the light(s) are from a crashed alien spaceship or maybe a desolate alien research outpost where they conduct experiments.
In my time I have read some really really bizarre stuff. Hell, even seem some it with my own eyes. Go figure........ lol lol lol

I cant say what will be discovered, nor can I postulate as to what is really there. Except to say, maybe, just maybe, its not "alien" at all.

I wonder if the space craft will be able to determine what the surface temperature is, at the lights
Sure would be interesting...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Just saw a US Air Force General on TV news and he claimed its the suns reflection off swamp gas.

I believe.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
No,weather balloon!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
A very interesting mystery, but I have a couple of questions, which maybe one or two of you can help me with. The still photograph of the lights shows them in a position that the video does not place them in. If you watch the video, you can see that as Ceres rotates, seemingly from south west to north east, the lights appear at around 9:47 on the clock and skim circumferentially upwards towards the 12 o'clock position, going nowhere near the centred position of the still photograph. Are we looking at two different images from Dawn at different positions and distances from Ceres?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Staroth

It's the same as the one posted here.

And I don't think it's a light, as a light would probably appear much brighter.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I think it's one of these things
1) icey material - don't know if ice has high enough albedo?
2) cryvolcano (the larger spot)?
3) subsurface metals which got exposed because of meteorite impact?

One thing to note is these spots seem to appear in craters. I'm not altogether sure if both spots are in craters, but if so then I would wonder if maybe surfsurface metals were somehow exposed.

The more we learn about Ceres, or any body in our solar system, the more we learn about the origins of our solar system. And knowing more about the solar system's origins gives us clues about how life started.

The last thing on my mind is ET. If you examine NASA's history, ET's aren't showing up. Science is. That's what you should look for.

I believe the current theory is Jupiter didn't allow a planet to form in the asteroid belt. Instead we have a dwarf planet and smaller bodies. Ceres is something like 33 percent of those materials. Vesta is ~9%. Pallas is ~7%. Hygiea is 2.9%. Vesta and Pallas and Hygiea might be considered protoplanets. About ~50% of the asteroid melt remains as the smaller asteroid.
edit on 28-2-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Looking at this picture , I can almost think of so many extraterrestrial thoughts knowing that if my thoughts were fact and this was some kind of alien or human outpost on Ceres . I immediately being stopped think about the euphoric possibility it might be the first contact we all are waiting to hear about. Just because they always shuffle us this BS story into our faces and thats the end of it..

But I'm so damn curious what this could be, that it gives me allot of inspiration to fantasize about ...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
1.) Icy material ? The known albedo of ice on a solid surface, like glacial ice, runs from 20 to 40 percent. The bright spots on Ceres are reported to have an albedo of 40% . Since these spots are not optically resolved yet, we can assume they are smaller, and so, brighter than they now appear. That would put their albedo above 40 %, exceeding that of the sort of ice we might expect to find on Ceres.
2.) Cryovolcanos ? Water vapor has been detected on Ceres, but apparently not from the area of the bright spots. These plumes of water vapor are strongest when Ceres is nearest the Sun. They seem to be like ice subliming off the surface, rather than from the interior of Ceres, something like what a comet does.
3.) Exposed metal ? It's very rare to find metal in its pure, shiny state. In large enough quantities to explain the bright spots, this would seem to be very improbable, from a geological standpoint.
It appears that the nature of the bright spots will remain an unexplainable mystery for a while longer.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join