It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 things you think you know about Jesus that are probably wrong

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Cogito, Ergo Sum

What's the point in that?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
All nine of them are wrong.

1. Married, not single.
2. Cropped hair, not long.
3. Hung on a pole, not necessarily a cross.
4. Short, not tall.
5. Born in a house, not a stable.
6. Named Joshua, not Jesus.
7. Number of apostles (12) from astrology, not history.
8. Prophecies recalled, not foretold.
9. Some Jesus quotes not from Jesus; others uncertain.

edit on 28-2-2015 by VigiliaProcuratio because:  

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: VigiliaProcuratio

Hi there - excuse me for interrupting, but I could just SWEAR that a moment ago your last post read "nope, no freakin evidence at all" (or something akin to that)....and now it says "All 9 of them are wrong" -

and now, after having read the whole thread - and reviewing your posts alone - I am really, really unclear on what the hell you are talking about.

Could you please clarify?

oh - and welcome to ATS

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. I'm not buying this nonsense, I want to see physical proof. I'm not going into detail but something stinks about all this. And this is coming from a Christian, by the way.

edit on 28-2-2015 by VigiliaProcuratio because:  

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Still no clue what you are talking about.

EDIT TO ADD (or, ETA):
Even with your edit(s).

edit on 2/28/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Still no clue what you are talking about.

I'm just having a bit of an identity crisis is all. If that helps.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Yeah, I totally get what you're saying. I'm not buying this nonsense, I want to see physical proof. I'm not going into detail but something stinks about all this. And this is coming from a Christian, by the way.

Okay - let's try this. Think of it as a game. I'm going to parse your statements there and show you why I don't understand what the hell you are talking about.

"Yeah, I totally get what you're saying"
what WHO is saying?

"I'm not buying this nonsense, I want to see physical proof."
Who isn't 'buying this nonsense? The person above who was 'saying' what you totally get?
So, you could write (instead):

I understand what you're saying. You are saying that you will not buy this nonsense, and that you want physical proof.
But it reads as though YOU are the one saying that. And I'm not a Christian, so I have to guess that the "this coming from a Christian" part is indicative of whoever our original "you" was, or it was yourself.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Hey Vig. Suppose they are true. Would that destroy your faith, or would that open your faith to the dimension of esoteric metaphor and mysticism that waits for you under the exoteric surface?

👣

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

That's given me a headache.

a reply to: BlueMule

It's not true, nothing to see here.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Ah. I see. Yes, now I understand what your meaning was. Thank you.

I'm sorry if you are distraught by this, but it is a learning curve/growth spurt kind of thing. You'll come out the other side in fine shape. And if you need help, there are people out there (and in here).

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   

That's not an answer.

👣

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Ah, I'm alright. I just realised something is all. I know when God is warning me about something. I'm gonna be really, really vague about this and just call it a revelation.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I don't know why this is in italics!! -------

Well,

"well done, you!"

You got that "vague" thing going really well, I gotta say.
Again, welcome aboard.

Please keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all times, and your wig on straight.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Guys, off-topic, but - WHY am I all in italics now?

EDIT TO ADD: Seriousy - what was that?
My avatar font and everything - what was it????

A sign of something?

Or, am I the only one seeing this? I'm serious - does anyone else see my previous post is all in italics, including the text within my avy box>

Okay, this also is strange: When I go to view just my posts in thread, it isn't italicized. I inspected the element on the thread and see this random-seeming bracketed i (and yes, I know how to read CSS)......anyway - interesting puzzle. Sorry for being so off-topic -but, if you think about it - it could be very much on topic.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

A sign of something?

Yep.

Or, am I the only one seeing this? I'm serious - does anyone else see my previous post is all in italics, including the text within my avy box

Weird.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Do you see it?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Okay - let's play.

What do you think it means (and this coming from a person whose nape hair is standing on end)?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

What do you think it means?

What, the weird text?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Just want to clarify my position on Jesus.

I do believe in a 'historical Jesus'. An actual human being that walked the Earth, and no not your gardener.

Watching this series of lectures was fairly compelling for me:

Historical Jesus, Professor Bart D. Ehrman Ph.D., M.Div.

I agree with some other posters who posit that his descriptions were an amalgamation of previous mythologies.

In that sense I don't think that Jesus Christ ever existed. It's that mythical overlay that defines what believers think of Jesus, and that's in my eyes a fabrication.

It seems to me he actually had a relatively small impact during those times, and thus not much historical evidence. Yet enough for me to warrant belief this Jewish man caused unrest that resulted in his crucifixion by the Romans.

Here is a quote from the first century Roman historian Tacitus:

"Consequently, to get rid of the report, Nero fastened the guilt and inflicted the most exquisite tortures on a class hated for their abominations, called Christians by the populace. Christus, from whom the name had its origin, suffered the extreme penalty during the reign of Tiberius at the hands of one of our procurators, Pontius Pilatus, and a most mischievous superstition, thus checked for the moment, again broke out not only in Judæa, the first source of the evil, but even in Rome, where all things hideous and shameful from every part of the world find their centre and become popular. Accordingly, an arrest was first made of all who pleaded guilty; then, upon their information, an immense multitude was convicted, not so much of the crime of firing the city, as of hatred against mankind".

This was in reference to a terrible fire that consumed much of Rome in 64 AD that Nero blamed on the Christians. Tacitus was a child when this fire occurred. In addition to whatever sources he later had at his disposal, he no doubt heard about, as I am sure most Romans had, Nero's thoughts concerning Christians and that fire. He was also not someone who would have motive for fabricating Christus and the Christians, unlike the Gospel authors.
edit on 28-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: VigiliaProcuratio
a reply to: Cogito, Ergo Sum

What's the point in that?

Go through the bible and see how many apostles there really were. Then look through the historical record (outside of the bible) and see how many were historical figures.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join