It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 things you think you know about Jesus that are probably wrong

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: superluminal11
Behold....the man has become as one of us to know what is good and what is evil.
Genesis 3:22

Who is us?

Its not the Christian Islamic or Judea God. Its not Elohim or the plural of God.

Until you come to this true fact you will be forever chasing your tails like the Ouroboros until you exist no more .

I think its obvious that there is more than one creator, and generations of overseers.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: FlyersFan

Oh, and the Shroud of Turin puts the height of Jesus at about 5'8". (no, the Shroud of Turin has not been proven to be fake. In fact, a lot of evidence points to it's probable authenticity).

You've got to be kidding me! Never been proven to be a fake of what?

There is an extremely plausible explanation for the carbon dating furore over the shroud.

The sample tested was cut from a corner, this corner is believed to have been repaired by 'splicing' I.e. old and new fibres woven together to make am invisible repair.

Several experts in the field of textiles have verified that the remaining pieces of the original sample are indeed spliced. This means that while the carbon date results are technically correct, they are from a contaminated sample.

The frustrating part is that we can't retest from a new sample because the Vatican had the shroud radio something or other treated just after the sample was taken, meaning it can't be carbon dated any more due to the treatment affecting the carbon atoms.

Then the shroud doesn't prove squat, does it?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gianfar

I think its obvious that there is more than one creator, and generations of overseers.

How is it obvious?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 05:09 AM
link   
1. He was real. (spoiler, he wasn't)

/thread

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

The word "cross" in the New Testament comes from the Greek word stauros. The study of word origins shows that stauros simply means "stake" or "pole."

IF this is true every single cross with Jesus on it that has ever been made and venerated, is essentially idolatry, as this cross is imported from pagan ideology and never happened.

Hmmmm, I wonder who was responsible for that ?

edit on 1-3-2015 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I often imagine Jesus coming back and being horrified at all the crosses everywhere. Talk about triggeering PTSD.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blue_Jay33
a reply to: ~Lucidity

The word "cross" in the New Testament comes from the Greek word stauros. The study of word origins shows that stauros simply means "stake" or "pole."

IF this is true every single cross with Jesus on it that has ever been made and venerated, is essentially idolatry, as this cross is imported from pagan ideology and never happened.

Hmmmm, I wonder who was responsible for that ?

Starred. The cross that most revere is more likely a representation of Tammuz than Christ. Christianity IS paganism.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

I often imagine Jesus coming back and being horrified at all the crosses everywhere. Talk about triggeering PTSD.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
Yep.

And Bill and I were not the first people to have observed the irony in this. I actually pissed off a parish priest by asking this when I was 6. and got myself kicked out of Catholic school. We weren't Catholic, so there was more to it...they didn't like us anyway.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueMule

So, you're a Christian who doesn't care about scripture (but quotes it) and yet somehow has a concept of revelation, Satan, God, and Jesus. Is that about right?

The typical Christian has no concern with scripture, and I certainly haven't read the bible. In all honesty, I have never felt as close to God through the church alone as I have through trying my very best to respect everybody around me. I'm neither young nor old, but I've never been into scripture or strict religious practices so I can't see that dramatically changing. I prefer to call on my own understandings as well as divine guidance and on the whole it works for me. Not reading scripture does not mean to say that I have no concept of God. I also do not care to have any concept whatsoever for Satan, all I need is to recognise and protect against his evil.

originally posted by: Astyanax

"There is no reliable text. There is only this fairytale I made up for myself."

Convincingly demonstrate, to a third party, the difference between the above statement.

Do you not realise how insulting that actually is? The point I was making is that no book could adequately describe God. Even true Gospel is about us and not God, and interpretations can change over time. If you call that a fairytale then I don't care, I've got nothing more to say on it.

And now for some ramblings...

I know God loves us all and tries his very best to keep us safe. He calls on me and I have no doubt that he did so last night, but the message isn't exactly clear yet. Maybe I was subtly being warned about something, and this has happened a few times. For example, I came into contact with Mormons a while back and they were very keen to have me baptised; I know only too well that I have been steered clear. They told me one time, "If you come to church tomorrow you will receive blessings from God. You will be blessed in ways which you could never imagine", and as enticing as that may be to many people and it certainly caught my attention, and I have been to their church a fair few times...right away something inside of me was saying "No, just no". I responded by telling that I am already blessed and they said, "We know". I did not go and as it turns out I feel closer to God than ever before.

The trouble I'm having with the concept of Jesus is not about his existence, rather his portrayal. The church does not care for him and this is quite clear given that the typical depiction of him is on a cross. This is not simply a celebration of death, which is possibly inappropriate in itself, but moreover it serves as a reminder and therefore a deterrent to anybody who might one day become like Christ. Idolising him is one thing, but the cross is a very negative symbol and it's high time to be done away with it. So far as his martyrdom goes, to me it promotes civil resignation to a criminal state and that is not a good message for us right now. In any case, the wisdom we have in Christ's teachings is very important because there are strong messages which can help us when we need some guidance. Yes, I'm suggesting that he did exist and said the things we know of, simply because it's easier for me to see it like so than to question it.

In my mind, the God as revered in Christianity is that of Islam also, for there is only Allah. Unfortunately, Christianity has been in denial of this since its conception so it remains very difficult for a Christian to be close to him without understanding the truths which are often concealed from us. In many troubling times have I have prayed to the Lord and sometimes, something happens. Even if it wasn't what I was hoping for, the prayer was answered no less. One day I considered if it may have been Allah and ever since then the feeling has gotten stronger. I can therefore only conclude that it is indeed Allah whom answers my prayers. And you know, I'm not a Muslim and it doesn't matter.

For what it's worth, I feel that Islam has its problems as well but I believe it's mostly due to persistent warfare being waged in the Arabic lands, which serves only to divert people from their true selves.

I do not trust Christianity any more because of the constant lies and wars. Look at the state of the Middle East, the Crusades never stopped and there seems to be no end. This is counter to the spirit of Christ. I have been extremely vocal regarding my support of Palestine, as one example, and Allah has noticed. He knows of my sincere concerns for fellow people and he blesses me for it. He does not want to see me fall prey to the perils of evil. With him I also have the Holy Spirit very close to my heart, which is very important to me.

As if we don't have enough problems around the world, we in England are facing a very grave situation and the church is wholly complicit. The crown knows only too well of my objections towards the state's crimes against humanity. Children are going missing and nobody is even talking, let alone doing anything about it. I therefore struggle to find much comfort in Christianity, yet Allah knows and so he gives me strength.

What I want to know are the truths about Abraham's sons, Ishmael and Isaac. It seems to me as though one found Allah and the other, well...since there is only Allah then I cannot find an answer to that.

edit on 1-3-2015 by VigiliaProcuratio because:  

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   
a reply to: VigiliaProcuratio

Do you not realise how insulting that actually is?

I don't see how it's at all insulting. You offered a statement whose veracity could not be tested. I'm not calling you a liar, I'm pointing out that nobody can decide, on the evidence you offer, whether you're telling the truth or not.

If you believe you have had direct, personal experience of God that has left you convinced of His existence, you are a mystic, and a successful one at that. What, then, are you doing here, arguing with us benighted souls? Shouldn't you be yearning after communion with the Divine, like St. Theresa of Avila or St. John of the Cross or Jalalludin Rumi or someone?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I cannot explain a lot of what has been happening in my life, especially recently, and can therefore only conclude that it is divine. Now I appreciate that I probably come across as a complete and utter loon, but I always speak honestly.

Here's an example; I was having a normal dream one night and all of a sudden I began to hear very distinct Egyptian music for a few seconds, which suddenly switched to completely different, Arabic music. I think I woke up then. I've never knowingly listened to what I heard so it really got me wondering.

By the way...I know it can be difficult to have confidence in somebody's honesty, but let me tell you this; if ever I were to make a deliberate, false religious claim then I would be doing so in full knowing that it is blasphemy.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
You are citing a Left Wing Liberal news source that has a history of posting Anti Christian stories and expect us to believe what they think about Jesus is more true than hundreds of years of study of Christianity?

The article also doesn't give one sliver of solid proof, it cites an unconfirmed gospel, guesses his height because other men of the time were shorter (I guess Abraham Lincoln and George Washington must have been no more than 5'6 by that definition), tries to claim he wasn't put up on a cross even though they checked his hands for the wounds, etc.

Find a site that isn't left wing and obviously Anti Christian that offers solid proof instead of guesses from Progressives. This whole story is unreliable.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: VigiliaProcuratio

So, you're a Christian who doesn't care about scripture (but quotes it) and yet somehow has a concept of revelation, Satan, God, and Jesus. Is that about right?

The typical Christian has no concern with scripture, and I certainly haven't read the bible. In all honesty, I have never felt as close to God through the church alone as I have through trying my very best to respect everybody around me. I'm neither young nor old, but I've never been into scripture or strict religious practices so I can't see that dramatically changing. I prefer to call on my own understandings as well as divine guidance and on the whole it works for me. Not reading scripture does not mean to say that I have no concept of God. I also do not care to have any concept whatsoever for Satan, all I need is to recognise and protect against his evil.

So, you've absorbed religious concepts from your culture. But you have a tough time seeing it, like a fish doesn't see the water - it is too immersed. For example, why is Satan a him? You say his evil. Is God a him too?

👣

edit on 776Sunday000000America/ChicagoMar000000SundayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Might be handy linking the post if it's a reply to the first one. I thought you were talking to me.

Anyway, right-wing sites probably just say he definitely didn't exist, without elaborating.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

Why are you being all semantic about things? You're just looking for something to pick on.

English does not use a neuter and as such I must be selective with regards to grammatical gender. I don't think I have ever seen God, in either Christianity or Islam, being referred to in the feminine sense.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

a reply to: BlueMule

Why are you being all semantic about things? You're just looking for something to pick on.

English does not use a neuter and as such I must be selective with regards to grammatical gender. I don't think I have ever seen God, in either Christianity or Islam, being referred to in the feminine sense.

Who cares whether Christianity or Islam knows the Sacred Feminine? Do you follow culture or revelation?

Hasn't God given you a revelation that shows the transcendent is beyond gender, and that the soul of a mystic such as Jesus is androgynous? Hasn't God shown you that the Holy Spirit is feminine, that the creator is creatrix?

👣

edit on 790Sunday000000America/ChicagoMar000000SundayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

a reply to: chuck258

Might be handy linking the post if it's a reply to the first one. I thought you were talking to me.

Anyway, right-wing sites probably just say he definitely didn't exist, without elaborating.

I wouldn't even trust a right wing source, because they would be more likely to claim he was the perfect height and build, performed his miracles without question and is going to return to judge non believers or other complete nonsense. If you are going to make a legit claim about someone as important as Jesus, you have to be completely unbiased. Those sorts of people are hard to come by these days. Though I like to think if given the opportunities and resources I could do a decent job.

Me personally? I do think that the man Jesus Christ was real and he had a real impact on the people of the time. I also believe he was Charismatic which is why he is still remembered today. When it comes to his miracles however, I'm unsure of what to believe.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Isa, Jesus, of 32 AD was a Nazarene Sect, vegetarian, he was a rogue Rabbi (Teacher) not of the traditional Jewish Priesthood.... as the Nazarene sect was a radical 'Sons-of-Light cult'...Jesus as that rogue Rabbi took on himself the 'Mantle' of becoming the role of suffering first-born among human kind

see. the immaculate conception of Mary, his mother, was an abduction event by Alien-Angels who performed the test-tube conception from the 1000 year old stored 'seed' from King David, himself from Bethlehem...where Isa=Jesus also was born

the whole 3 1/2 year Ministry of Jesus was cleaned-up and adulterated to be acceptable to the duped masses...
ask yourself just what is the acknowledged 'Great Deception'? ~ read the summary above once again ~

for what it's worth the scriptures say Jesus was not radically different from the average person of his day in that region of Judea...
b ut I would say that Jesus most likely did not shave or cut the hair of the chin or temples... there is a Jewish Law about such things

...The book of Leviticus in the Torah makes mention of corners of the head and prohibits the marring of the corners of the beard, with particular emphasis on priests not marring the corners of the beard;[3] as with many other parts of Leviticus, the Book of Ezekiel describes different regulations, stating that the priests should not shave their heads, or let their locks grow long.[4]

However, there were exceptions, with the Book of Ezekiel itself adding that priests should keep their hair trimmed,[4] and Leviticus arguing that, in certain cases of tzaraath, the beard and hair should be completely shaved away.[5] Numbers(Ch. 6) additionally requires that Nazarites shave their heads, 7 days after any contact with corpses.[6]...

but the careful crafted escape was that Jesus said Lazarus was 'asleep not dead'...thus avoiding shaving his head...

Jesus probably looked like the wild-man John-the-Baptist (his cousin in tradition) was said to have presented himself... you seen the likes at a WWF wrestling match
but that aspect was probably sanitized in the 200-300AD church stuff

edit on st31142523389001182015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

edit on st31142523434201252015 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

This has absolutely nothing to do with grammar. You have taken one word from a sentence and turned into something completely unrelated. You're just looking for pointless debate and I'm not interested.

The gender of the Holy Spirit is irrelevant to me because it is not a person. Jesus definitely has a gender, but I appreciate that he would have had an androgynous nature if he was to reach out to man, woman and child alike.

Anyway, please don't patronise me about revelations. I'm having to do some serious soul-searching right now so it isn't nice having to read "Hasn't God given you a revelation that..."; it's insulting to me and probably to God as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join