It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

600 American troops arrive in Slovakia!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: all2human

NATO is in Ukraine, is it? Or are you confusing activities of individual nations with regard to Ukraine and calling it "NATO", such as the deployment of UK troops to provide training for the Ukraine Army? Such activities have nothing to do with NATO and are solely the response of one nation towards another.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Again..why do you would consider operations like Libya,yugoslavia or pakistan defensive in nature.
if you believe NATO is a defensive organization.

Didn't answer my question? l
Not exactly a nato operation? O
But because not all members participated,it didn't happen? l

NATO Military operations for Libya:

The NATO-led “Operation Unified Protector” had three distinct components:

the enforcement of an arms embargo on the high seas of the Mediterranean to prevent the transfer of arms, related material and mercenaries to Libya;
the enforcement of a no-fly-zone in order to prevent any aircraft from bombing civilian targets; and
air and naval strikes against those military forces involved in attacks or threats to attack Libyan civilians and civilian-populated areas.
www.nato.int...
edit on 1-3-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Key is "NATO led" - ie, NATO used it's extensive experience with working with multi-national forces, along with the pre-laid infrastructure to do so, but it wasn't a "NATO operation". It didn't include many NATO members and in fact included nations who are not NATO members, such as Qatar and UAE.

Either you're deliberately ignoring the distinction, or are genuinely unable to use your noggin to work it out, in which case I sympathise, but there isn't a cure of ignorance.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Not exactly how the BBC or sites view it:

"Over the past year small numbers of British troops have already taken part in Nato exercises in Ukraine, but this is the first explicit training mission there.

The US is to start its own training mission in a few weeks time and where the US and Britain are leading, other Nato countries are likely to follow"

www.nrcu.gov.ua...
globalnews.ca...
kinda see the word NATO don't you? and all member states,coincidence? If only they threw in mongolia just for sh*ts and giggles.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

You're referring to Rapid Trident, I presume? That was held at the request of the Ukraine Government and was designed to assist the Ukrainian military in battalion-level command. It is also an annual exercise and has been held long before the overthrow of the former President. In fact, one has been held every year since 2005.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Insults are the result of a failed argument
please do your research
read the link i provided
the operation is listed as a NATO operation on the NATO website
www.nato.int...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Ukraine is not a member of NATO, therefore chapter 5 does not apply or we'd already be in a ground war with Russia. Then again, if Ukraine was a full NATO member then Russia may have never invaded. However, NATO does consider Ukraine to be a member of the NATO Outreach Program. So like Finland, Swedan and other non-NATO nations, NATO considers Ukraine a friend and they all hold training exercises in each other's territory, but NATO cannot come to the rescue for those in the outreach program (Not as an alliance anyway). Nato was in Ukraine last year performing a training exercise, the same exercise that NATO has been doing in Ukraine for over ten years now. It was also performed in the West, far from any fighting zones. This had nothing to do with the Russian Invasion.

EDIT: Ukraine is only mentinoned once on that page, and only because the crisis there sparked increased policing in NATO territories, not Ukraine.

"Over the past year small numbers of British troops have already taken part in Nato exercises in Ukraine, but this is the first explicit training mission there.

Yes, just recently it was decided to start training the Ukraine Military in response to Putin's aggression. But it says right in your quote that this is the first actual Mission in Ukraine which hasn't even started yet. Your previous posts implied that NATO has been there all along. This decision was also made by the US and Britain, it really doesn't have anything to do with NATO. Your quote only mentions NATO because it indicates that the regular NATO training mission is the last time British troops were there. It's made clear that this will strictly be a US/Britain mission, with only a handful of trainers, not actual troops coming to fight. The Media loves to blow little things up like this in the headlines.
edit on 1-3-2015 by JonStone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

No I am not wrong.

NATO does not have a NATO military. NATO is comprised of all member nations armed forces. Prior to the Russian invasion of Ukraine there was NO NATO presence in nations bordering Russia with the exception of the 3 Baltic nations and as I stated it was air units only.

NATO has now deployed assets to Poland, the Baltic nations and is conducting NATO exercises with various members.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

According to you, occupied nations like to be occupied… such good little colonies, aren't they. Big targets painted on their backs now (I mean on the US bases inside their borders). You may think that prevents war, occupied peoples (not their governments) have a different slant on that…

Considering the US is not occupying any nations I don't grant your premise. Secondly the US uses bases of the host nation. You can try and lie all you want about your unsupported and sad occupied argument however it does not =work considering its not true. Try again.

mmm, hmm. Is this CNN?

Courtesy off all media that reports on Russian troops inside Ukraine, including Russian media now. Putin can deny it all he wants but in the end its the same stunt he pulled when he invaded Ukrainian Crimea.

I would just suggest stop making false accusations. NATO is encroaching on Russia's borders not the other way around.

NATO is not encroaching on Russia's borders and, again, that excuse does not work considering the facts don't support it. NATO nations bordering Russia were NOT hosts of NATO nations until after Russia invaded Ukraine. If Russia didn't occupy Eastern Europe and other central Asian nations for as long as they had then maybe those nations would not run in the opposite direction of Russia.

The false allegations have come from you and I have pointed out where your blatant misleading comments / mistakes were.

Accusing me of lying doesn't change this basic fact.

Actually it does. The claims you made that were in fact - false. I corrected your mistakes and all you did was try to make a different point using the same flawed argument.

Like the lie that Russia and China don't do joint exercises on each others territory when in fact they do.
Like the lie that the Us occupies European nations when in fact they don't.
Like the lie that NATO threatens borders when it was Russia who was threatening borders, up to and including the invasion of Georgia and Ukraine and illegally occupying territory in Georgia, Ukraine and Moldova.

You should take the comment about doing your research as constructive feedback. It will allow you to not make false claims in these topics, thereby preventing you from misleading other people who also don't bother to do research before making claims.
edit on 1-3-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra
"NATO does not have a NATO military"

WRONG:
NATO Response Force:
Very High Readiness Joint Task Force:
(VJTFen.wikipedia.org...
Military units and formations of NATO"Military units and formations of NATO"

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human

NATO Response Force:
en.wikipedia.org...

Yup.. formed in response to Russia's invasion of Ukraine. What part do you not understand so I can explain it to you? As I stated before, NATO had no units deployed to Poland or the Baltics and again with the exception of the air patrol for the Baltics. All other deployments came after Russia invaded Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

"NATO does not have a NATO military"

WRONG:
NATO Response Force:
Very High Readiness Joint Task Force:
(VJTFen.wikipedia.org...
Military units and formations of NATO"Military units and formations of NATO"

That's still made up of units from member nations - NATO has no troops of it's own.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Can't change the goal posts to fit your agenda Xcathdra
NATO certainly does have military,it is a military alliance with an army
NATO did have a presence on Russia's border before the crisis
The USA does currently occupy foreign land
what part do you not understand?
NATO response force 2003:
www.aco.nato.int...

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

All member countries that participate in the military aspect of the Alliance contribute forces and equipment, which together constitute the integrated military structure of the Alliance. These forces and assets remain under national command and control until a time when they are required by NATO for a specific purpose (i.e. conflict or crisis, peacekeeping).

NATO has no army of it's own.

Source

For the purpose of a Mission perhaps, but the US does not remain in these territories once the mission is completed like Russia has done. If you disagree, then name one.
edit on 1-3-2015 by JonStone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Can't change the goal posts to fit your agenda Xcathdra

I haven't.

Those militaries belong to their respective nations - not NATO.

NATO did have a presence on Russia's border before the crisis

No - countries that border Russia have had their own military presence. NATO went out of its way to prevent the stationing of NATO forces in those countries. Only after Putin pulled his sharks and jets routine did NATO send units to those nations bordering Russia.

Some of the Baltic nations are sending arms to Ukraine. That actions is a sovereign internal issue and NOT NATO.

Where?

what part do you not understand?

I understand it just fine. which parts are tripping you up?

Ranks and insignia of NATO:
en.wikipedia.org...

You missed a part at the very beginning of the article -

NATO maintains a "standard rank scale" in an attempt to match every member country's military rank to corresponding ranks used by the other members. The rank categories were established in the document STANAG 2116, formally titled NATO Codes for Grades of Military Personnel. There are two scales, though not all member countries use all the points on the NATO scales and some have more than one rank at some points (e.g. many forces have two ranks at OF-1, usually lieutenants):.

Lets try this -
In my State I am a member of a municipal police agency. My chain of command is solely exclusive to my agency. When interacting with other agencies I show respect for their ranks however they have no command authority over me.

If a mass disaster were to occur that required lots of law enforcement agencies a unified chain of command is established via NIMS framework.

NATO essentially works the same.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   

NATO is not "encroaching" anywhere.

You too, huh?

NATO Expansion map…

Every sovereign and independent nation has the right to choose it's own path - if that means they wish to join NATO, then that is their business and not anyone else's.

Tell that to those in the eastern portion of Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

This is the reason for NATO expansion -

Stop blaming the west because Russia pushed former SSR's in their direction because of 50 years of occupation.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Considering the US is not occupying any nations…

Liar

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You too, huh?

It's not like NATO invades these countries, and forces them to serve their will (You know, like Putin is doing in Ukraine). These nations are sovereign and join because they applied to join and are qualified to join. Judging by Russia's hostile actions in the region, I can't blame them for joining.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Considering the US is not occupying any nations…

Liar

What nations is the US occupying?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join