It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Principal Made First Grader Eat Lunch Alone Behind CARDBOARD Because He Was ONE MINUTE TARDY

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Title from one of the articles, not me.

So the sources are, admittedly, on the conservative side of the aisle but from what I read, the local school board is looking in to the execution of this policy. Apparently there's a policy in place to deal with "chronic absenteeism/tardiness" which provides some one on one time for a student to catch up on missed work.

The boy's grandmother admits he's been tardy a good bit, but the picture posted of him at lunch doesn't really seem like it's got much education going on, but rather has some public shaming in action.

My opinion: kid was late, because of mom. Why is the kid forced to go sit by himself in front of everybody else when it's mom's fault he's tardy? Why not just make him wear a good old fashioned dunce cap?

Links here

kobi5.com...

dailycaller.com...

Pic of him by himself in the cafeteria in second article.
edit on 27-2-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Fix thread title

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I had to laugh, because I spend 2 years behind such a thing the whole year around (only they were made of wood and fit over the whole desk)...awesome when they thought it helped against being distracted but they couldn`t see you at the same time.

But it`s ridiculously to do that as punishment at lunch for being late.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

“For the past twenty-four hours, there has been considerable general and social media attention regarding the Lincoln Elementary School Attendance/Tardy Catch-up Protocol,” the statement reads. “This afternoon, Principal Fitzsimmons was able to meet with both parents to discuss their concerns. We are pleased to report the meeting was productive. The parents’ concerns were politely discussed and, ultimately, the issues were resolved to the satisfaction of both the parents and the school.”

From the article you posted it sounds like they are resolving the issue.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Resolved or not, does that mean it's cool?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
If it hadn't of been for the camera and social media this would have never seen the light of day. Sound familiar?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Yeah, first graders always want to arrive late and get publicly shamed, especially when they have car trouble.

Hoover (grandma) alleges that Fitzsommons force the first grade boy to sit all by himself during lunch because he was tardy by one minute when he arrive to school in the morning - thanks to car trouble.
*snip
“This is my grandson, Hunter. He’s a little first grader,” Hoover narrates in the Facebook post. “His momma’s car sometimes doesn’t like to start right up. Sometimes he’s a couple minutes late to school. Yesterday, he was 1 minute late and this is what his momma discovered they do to punish him! They have done this to him 6 times for something that is out of this baby’s control! They make a mockery of him in front of the other students! The principal is responsible for this. His mom found him there, crying, and took him home for the day. Anyone want to help me flood this lady principal with calls telling her how inappropriate this is?”

2nd link

Why weren't the parents in "school confinement" since the child had no control what-so-ever in the situation?

ETA: posting addition quote from link.
edit on 27-2-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
When we were bad in kindergarten we had to sit in the "big chair" and then everyone would laugh at us and point.

This is just weird though. How does this address tardiness in any way?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

So the sources are, admittedly, on the conservative side of the aisle but from what I read, the local school board is looking in to the execution of this policy. Apparently there's a policy in place to deal with "chronic absenteeism/tardiness" which provides some one on one time for a student to catch up on missed work.

The boy's grandmother admits he's been tardy a good bit, but the picture posted of him at lunch doesn't really seem like it's got much education going on, but rather has some public shaming in action.

My opinion: kid was late, because of mom. Why is the kid forced to go sit by himself in front of everybody else when it's mom's fault he's tardy? Why not just make him wear a good old fashioned dunce cap?

Links here

kobi5.com...

dailycaller.com...

A better strategy might have been to call his Mom to tell her to come pick him up and take him home because children aren't admitted to class after the bell has rung. This would cause inconvenience for her. On the other hand, she would probably take it out on the kid. Solution to that: call her and tell her she has to have a meeting with the principal before bringing her child back to school the next day or he won't be admitted. Problem with that? She may not care and he won't get an education. Solution: ? I'm out of them, at least temporarily.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

This is just weird though. How does this address tardiness in any way?

It doesn't and it was never meant to. It's just a method for the control freak, teachers and administration to assert their dominance. That's the underlying purpose of public education. Social and cultural indoctrination in conformity. If you actually learn anything, it's just a by product.

edit on 27-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

From what I gather, the policy is supposed to be more along the lines of getting the kid some one on one make up instruction. That, to me, seems waaaaaay more than a fair resolution to tardiness.

You're right though, there's no magic bullet for chronic absenteeism or tardiness because at the end of the day, it's on the parent.

Hell, make the parent sit at the lunch table by herself maybe?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Yup part of being a control freak. Just another kid that will be on welfare BECAUSE he don't like to get up in the morning or any of another 27 reasons why they can't hold a job. Our company goes through a lot of laborers of the excuse of the day!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Why weren't the parents in "school confinement" since the child had no control what-so-ever in the situation? How did grandma Laura Hoover get this pic onto her FB? A tip off from someone at school?

It's a lot easier to bully children?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam

originally posted by: StoutBroux
Why weren't the parents in "school confinement" since the child had no control what-so-ever in the situation? How did grandma Laura Hoover get this pic onto her FB? A tip off from someone at school?

It's a lot easier to bully children?

And that's the reason I detest all authority figures to this day. Something is very sick with people that want to bully others, that seek control and influence over those they deem inferior.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
These god damn school principals/superintendents/ teachers are really starting to get under my skin. I can't go a week without hearing about another horror story that is happening at our Liberal Indoctrination Centers . . . . I mean schools. From them suspending kids for posting pictures of them holding airsoft rifles (which were under direct parental supervision, and on a personal facebook account, not that it is any of their business anyway) to teachers taking coats away from kids in below freezing because they aren't wearing school colors? What the hell is going on? These guys are going to piss off the wrong parents one day, and part of me hopes it is me. I would be more than willing to spend a night in jail to beat the piss out of some stupid teacher took my kids coat away then made them go home without it in below freezing weather.

Don't get me wrong, if a does something reasonable, say, confiscate a cell phone because the student was using it in class. Or gives them honest critiquing (which is different than berating them in front of the class), then I am all for it and 100% on the teachers side. But when that teacher tries to punitively segregate my kid because he was late because my car broke down on the way to school, I will raise all hell.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Links here

kobi5.com...

dailycaller.com...

A better strategy might have been to call his Mom to tell her to come pick him up and take him home because children aren't admitted to class after the bell has rung. This would cause inconvenience for her. On the other hand, she would probably take it out on the kid. Solution to that: call her and tell her she has to have a meeting with the principal before bringing her child back to school the next day or he won't be admitted. Problem with that? She may not care and he won't get an education. Solution: ? I'm out of them, at least temporarily.

Why would you even punish the parent. Hey, newsflash bro, cars are mechanical devices that sometimes don't always work together, especially in adverse environments, and in addition to that, sometimes people can't afford to fix them right away. It's life. Libs like to talk about the big corporations keeping people down, you are allowing schools to do the same. You are punishing someone for something that is out of their control when it would not be any sort of issue for the school to conform a little. How about instead of publicly shaming him at lunch for events completely out of his control, they keep him in class for a few extra minutes when everyone goes to lunch to help him catch up? And I just came up with this in 5 minutes.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Well if we cant shame them , we can always segregate them

Going forward, a separate, supervised classroom has been designated for necessary catch-up work.

d7fus.grantspass.k12.or.us...

new topics

top topics

join