It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Members Be Required To Have An Avatar?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

I hope my Avatar bites that puking unicorn in the ass; control freak that he is....

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I have been around for a while, just never figured out how to upload an avatar.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I think your avatar would take his avatar anyday of the week.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLotLizard

How about we just chip them all???

Then create a database including DNA samples and a detailed timeline of their life since birth???

Maybe barcode tattoo on the forehead followed by a unique alpha-numberic identifier on the back of the neck or inside bottom lip in case there are system issues that come up and we need to verify them with older methods???

Then of course the standard retinal scan, hair sample, finger prints, etc.

I think that should cover it??

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Avatars are a young people's obsession.
I have never learned how to "upload images" and I don't intend to try.
Why on earth should I be forced to look around for some abstract design which "says something about me"?
If I want people to understand me, I use words, not pictures.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
No No and... No..

It's just fluff, it means nothing and *should* hold little relevance to what you say.. as it's just fluff.

It's only use besides fluff is for profiling and if that's the game then it's a definite NO and a NEVER thrown in as well.

Such a strange question really..

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Avatars are a young people's obsession.
I have never learned how to "upload images" and I don't intend to try.
Why on earth should I be forced to look around for some abstract design which "says something about me"?
If I want people to understand me, I use words, not pictures.

I have to disagree somewhat, I find that avatars help to form a familiarity and bond in an anoynimous enviroment.

I get where you are coming from but personally find that they add something.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
My first avatar here got me banned LOL (Other name, circa 2002). I need to find that. I wonder if it would get me banned today.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   

I have a great idea.......Worry about yourself.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Or you can have someone else make one for you or pick one from the Avatar Creation Thread. I've made a few for some people that wanted animated ones. It's really not very difficult to place it once it's made and sized correctly and stuff.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Yours is amazing, by the way.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Maybe.

I like avatars personally because they can easily indicate whose post I'm reading. Some are so familiar that I recognize them instantly. This is also why I prefer to cycle through just a few I have on hand. I want other members to recognize me in my avatars.

However, I'm completely against forcing members to have them if they don't want to go through the small bit of trouble to make one.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
i don't think it needs to be mandatory, though i agree with others who have said the avatar pictures
can be helpful when scrolling through a thread.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Oh, well thank you.

Mine was fairly simple to actually. The difficult part at least with the animated ones is trying to make something that looks good and smooth that also fits within the allowed file size which isn't very big. Plus I have a thing about animated Avatars that I always try and make the loop around from the end back to the start where you don't see the it skip back. That way it will just cycle smoothly and continuously forever. That's not always easy to do.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Avatar? You mean that huge picture thing that takes up 1/3 of my screen and makes a short post seem 2 miles long?

I guess I see the point in a visual cue - but not being visually oriented, I never even look at them, unless they move and catch my eye. I go straight to the text, paying attention to pictures ONLY if they relate to what I am reading about.

Random images off to the side are just a distraction I have learned to ignore. So I would be annoyed to learn that I was now required to subject others to that distraction, for the sake of a rule.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm#
The other half of my objection was that I don't have any interest in identifying myself through some picture or abstract design. That sort of thing just isn't me.
If people just want to be able to recognise me, I've got that personalised mini-profile background colour which probably does the trick.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

I have a great idea.......Worry about yourself.

Congratulations on totally missing the point. Here's an idea...don't get so easily offended.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: cronemel

If you go to your 'Account' panel, you will see a button near the bottom where you can turn off avatars and backgrounds.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Right, but then as far as being identified, like you say, you have other stuff which already does that including your name, background color, etc.

The Avatar doesn't have to even represent anything personal to you. You could even misdirect with it by putting up something counter to you're personality if desired. It can have as much or as little meaning as you want.

It's really nothing more than a fancy paint job. You don't need it but sometimes it's fun to have it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

If its that important to you give me one.

Something that would suit you, You know please you.

While your at it show everyone where you're from...Purgatory? really?!?

sound sorta like a cop out.

I'm from Cocoa Beach!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join