It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boris Nemtsov (Putin Critic) killed in the center of Moscow

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

FEAR.

That pretty much sums it up.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
a reply to: JonStone

what does that have to do with me correcting your objectively false statement that Putin somehow made the Russian people love him through fear?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: AVoiceOfReason

what does that have to do with me correcting your objectively false statement that Putin somehow made the Russian people love him through fear?

I don't recall you correcting anything.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

who is going to get scared? people are going to be mad yes. but scared? no.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

"Do you approve of Putin?" Most are going to say Yes, especially after seeing what happens to people who do NOT approve of Putin.

you implied that people supported Putin because they were scared, and yet Putin wasn't supported by the majority until a short time ago.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Really? So the opposition is just going to say, "Man down! Next!"

It made a pretty clear point that anybody who openly opposes Putin is going to pay the same consquences. That's called fear.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AVoiceOfReason

you implied that people supported Putin because they were scared, and yet Putin wasn't supported by the majority until a short time ago.

And I responded. It takes time to manipulate public opinion. He's not just going to get elected and boom, everyone loves him. It took time for him to gain control of the media, as well as public opinion. In fact, the idea that people used to dislike him proves my case, what changed? They just magically like him now that their country's economy is crashing and russia soldiers are magically disappearing?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

i don't know what the opposition is going to do. i know it wont stop, and i know for a fact its going to get stronger now that people think Putin had this man killed.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

well his approval rating dropped below 50% just last year...

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

well his approval rating dropped below 50% just last year...

Painting yourself as a paternalistic keeper of the nation's future is a little easier, of course, when you have scrubbed out every potential rival.
Asked why they support Mr Putin, many Russians answer, "Who else?"
Ever since he came to power in 2000, Mr Putin's lieutenants have worked diligently to sideline, prosecute, discredit, co-opt or otherwise neutralise political opponents.
In 2011 and 2012, mass street protests shot Alexei Navalny, an anti-corruption campaigner, onto the Moscow stage as a credible rival.

He was soon faced with a flurry of dubious criminal cases against him and has struggled to maintain momentum beyond a hardcore of younger, liberal supporters in the capital and other big cities despite a strong showing in mayoral elections.
Mr Navalny stood apart from seasoned but marginal opposition figures because of his nationalist streak. That appeal was blunted when Mr Putin seized Crimea and marched into eastern Ukraine this year. Mr Navalny admits that although he would not have launched the takeover, he would not give Crimea back to Ukraine if he came to power.
Other more radical opponents of Mr Putin's rule like the veteran Eduard Limonov are now vocal supporters of the war in Donetsk and Luhansk, organising volunteer militia to go and fight there.
Press unfreedom
One of Mr Putin's greatest tools is his ability to manipulate public sentiment through a stranglehold on Russia's most influential media.
A Levada survey in May found that 94 per cent of those polled depended on domestic television networks – which are state-dominated – to follow news from Crimea and Ukraine.
The Kremlin may have a point that Western reporting has its own slant, but Russian state media is a tide of Putin-worship, nationalist diatribe and outright falsehoods.
Alternative voices are increasingly scarce. Last month, Mr Putin signed off on new legislation that will limit foreign ownership in Russian media assets to 20 per cent. The law will likely see two of the country's biggest independent outlets, Vedomosti and Forbes Russia, ushered toward Kremlin-friendly control.
Surveying the pollsters
The polls say Putin is adored, but can they be trusted?
The Levada Centre has struggled to maintain its independence and last year prosecutors threatened it with inclusion on a government list of "foreign agents" – NGOs that receive foreign funding and are therefore seen as potential fifth columnists for western states.
Political surveys conducted by telephone in a country where people fear retribution for criticising the authorities may not be the best test of sentiment. Saying you love the leader is the safest thing, just in case someone is listening in or noting down your name.
Interestingly, the state-linked WCIOM polling agency puts Mr Putin's popularity lower than Levada. It found his personal approval rating down from 85.9 per cent in May to 62.5 per cent in October.

Source

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

approval rating is not a choice of this guy or the other guy. its a choice of do i approve of this guy or not. what opposition there is or isn't doesn't determine if people approve of Putin or not. just because you keep trying to paint this picture of scared Russian people cowering in the corner under the might of big bad Putin doesn't make it a reality.
edit on 28-2-2015 by AVoiceOfReason because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

You obviously didn't read the article, or don't care. I could show you a video of Putin pulling the trigger and you'd still keep saying the same thing over and over again.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   

“I wasn’t very far away and a friend phoned, I arrived and I saw the body,” said opposition leader Ilya Yashin at the scene a little after 1am.
“My last meeting with him was the day before yesterday… he was preparing to write a report called ‘Putin and War’ and he said he had information proving the participation of the Russian military and Russian soldiers in the Ukrainian conflict,” according to friend and colleague Yashin, who was visibly shocked.

Source[edit by]edit on 28-2-2015 by JonStone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   

If you disagree with me, I will kill you. That doesn't scare you?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   

i read what you posted in quotes. i dont know what else to say to you there.

no if you had proof that Putin was tied to his murder i would definitely believe it. im not even saying he didn't have something to do with it. im saying it makes no logical sense for him to have killed him. im just looking at the situation objectively.

personally i think Putin probably has had people killed. he is a politician after all. but this guy? nah, i don't think so. this harms putin more than it benefits him. when something like this happens always look to who benefits.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

He had every reason in the world to kill this guy. Refer to the post I made just before this one.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Again:

“I wasn’t very far away and a friend phoned, I arrived and I saw the body,” said opposition leader Ilya Yashin at the scene a little after 1am.
“My last meeting with him was the day before yesterday… he was preparing to write a report called ‘Putin and War’ and he said he had information proving the participation of the Russian military and Russian soldiers in the Ukrainian conflict,” according to friend and colleague Yashin, who was visibly shocked.

That there is reason enough.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   

this harms putin more than it benefits him. when something like this happens always look to who benefits.

So... would you then agree, given the enormous propaganda bonanza it has provided for Putin, that the fire in Odessa was probably started by Russian agents?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

ok well there have already been a few reports such as the one he was talking about writing. and seeing as the Russian people pretty much want Putin to overtly invade Ukraine i don't think many people would care. at least not in Russia. as for the international community well they will keep imposing sanctions no matter what.

i mean come on. everyone knows Putin has been helping the separatists. the thing you seem to refuse to understand is that many people (myself included) are in favor of this. i believe that the people of east Ukraine have every right to secede if they chose to. so if they are attacked whoever is helping them fight back is not the enemy in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Russian agents? so girls not even old enough to join the military making Molotov cocktails were Russian agents? ohh and the Ukrainian police forces that opened a corridor for thugs to beat on protesters were Russian agents to i suppose?

u wot?

or are you talking about something else that happened in Odessa?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join