It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The UK Rangers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a good idea (at last) from Geoff Hoon

Britain is set to form a new tri-service regiment, which is being dubbed 'the Rangers' after the US Rangers

the aim is to reduce the strain placed on the already overworked SAS and SBS, and they will be 'permanent backup' for them

the new force will recruit from the Royal Marines, the RAF Regiment, and a selection of Army units, among them the elite 1 Para. they will have their own cap badge and identity, and will have their own new base close to the SAS base at hereford

whilst this is good news it still doesnt excuse the cutbacks we are seeing. the british army is already overstretched and hoon is getting rid of seven infantry regiments.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
The british governement is bring out a new type of agency. Equlivent to the united states CIA or FBI. The UK governement is apparently testing out this new type of service

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bio Hazard Bob
The british governement is bring out a new type of agency. Equlivent to the united states CIA or FBI. The UK governement is apparently testing out this new type of service

WHA? we already got those two MI5 and MI6 duuh!

This new "ranger" section is really only going to make our army SF. Its not going to improve our military firepower or give us a tactical edge except in SF missions. What happens if we go up against a major army? We'll have a big problem stopping tanks with SF and SF support only.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bio Hazard Bob

no no no! ha ha
. i know what you're thinking about. you're talking about SOCA. its based on the FBI and is made up of people from Customs, MI5 and the police (Special Branch, D11, NCIS, etc).

The rangers will be purely military, drawing personnel from the RAF, Marines and Army

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   
They are amalgamating the regiments to stream-line them.

What is the point of having logistical support for say seven regiments, all doing their own thing, when you can amalgamate them all, thus cutting down the need for seven different logistical support units into one. Saves on money and manpower, allowing the money to be spent on equipment.

Spacemunkey

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacemunkey

What is the point of having logistical support for say seven regiments, all doing their own thing, when you can amalgamate them all, thus cutting down the need for seven different logistical support units into one. Saves on money and manpower, allowing the money to be spent on equipment.

Spacemunkey

The only problem is the Government has a habit of using money saved from Military "streamlining" for other things and leaving our troops under equipped. May seem like a good idea on paper but if we ever get embroiled in a war with a nation like China ( hypothetical, i know we prob wont ) we will be in serious trouble. The Government is increasing our Troops commitment abroad but are leaving us under strength and compared to the US poorly equipped.
Meanwhile they spend obscene amount's of money funding a Fighter Aircraft that was originally designed to combat a Soviet threat that no longer exists. It may be a fine Aircraft (Typhoon) but is its designed role of interceptor really needed now the Soviet threat is no more?
Wouldn't we have been better of using the money to buy a multi role fighter/bomber that was specifically designed for that role there by saving money in the long run?
As for the amalgamation of the regiments it goes deeper than just saving money. The Regiment is more than just a group of Combat troops, it a family and to see your family broken up and see centuries of History tossed aside like it doesn't matter is a painful thing. If my own regiment had been split apart i would have been heart broken. I completely understand the frustration and anger the Scots are feeling now. They are a proud people and their regiments were more than just regiments, they are a symbol of Scottish pride and they are justifiably angry at their break up.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Yes I fully agree about the Regiment system, I too Served with one of the regiments that was amalgamated in the last round of rationalisation by the Government. But what is the point in having Regiments if they are poorly equipped? Surely, if they do put the 'saved' money back into equipment and freeing up logistical troops numbers for frontline troops this would put our Army in a better position.

The Typhoon was originally designed as an Air Superiority fighter for combatting Soviet Aircraft, but was later re-designed for the multi-role combat. But this doesnt get away from the fact that the UK Government has spent over �15 Billion on the project, when say they could have bought US aircraft. (I know there is arguments in there to keep UK business, Science and Technology in the UK)

Spacemunkey

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Spacemunkey

You do realise we now have no actual land defense force in scotland now? Just a little note that the fact that these troops job now is to support about 3 troops of elite troops in small missions.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
what has amalgamating Scotish Regiments, who spend most of their time rotating around the postings around the world along with the other regiments throughout the UK, have anything to do with 'actual Scotish land force'. The Scotish Regiments aren't there solely to defend Scotland.

People seem to be forgettting that 'English' Regiments are due for amalgamation as well. Dont seperate the Scottish and English Regiments out, this is a British Army with all parts of the UK represented, Out of the 4 Battalions to go completely, one is Scottish, the other three are based south of the border.

Anyway, enough distraction. I can only find information about the 1st Battlion Parachute Regiment being re-tasked to a Tri service 'Ranger Unit' and thats it, nothing about what units are to make up the rest of it, and nothing about where it is to be based.

Daystar can you provide a link please...

Spacemunkey

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

what has amalgamating Scotish Regiments, who spend most of their time rotating around the postings around the world along with the other regiments throughout the UK, have anything to do with 'actual Scotish land force'. The Scotish Regiments aren't there solely to defend Scotland.

First role of the army, defend the homeland, all our regiments are based here AKA our regiment HQ's are here.

People seem to be forgettting that 'English' Regiments are due for amalgamation as well. Dont seperate the Scottish and English Regiments out, this is a British Army with all parts of the UK represented, Out of the 4 Battalions to go completely, one is Scottish, the other three are based south of the border.

UHH wha? since when is the argyle and sutherland highlanders and black watch based below the border?
Why not? the english regiments are staying intact the ENTIRE british army in scotland is becomeing one regiment.
Also this is the british army's oldest and most respected unit we are talking about here.

Anyway, enough distraction. I can only find information about the 1st Battlion Parachute Regiment being re-tasked to a Tri service 'Ranger Unit' and thats it, nothing about what units are to make up the rest of it, and nothing about where it is to be based.

Look up royal regiment of scotland, its an SF support unit now.

Daystar can you provide a link please...

I can give you links.

Royal regiment of scotland
royal regiment of scotland (2)

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:28 AM
link   
So why have we bases in Germany, Falklands Cyrpus, Diego Garcia, Gibraltar and Accension Islands? (I've probably missed some out).

Who said the Argyles and Black Watch are based in England? The Black Watch and Argyle are part of a Battalion based in Scotland, The three other battalions are based in England and Wales - I think you getting your Regiments and Battalion definition wrong.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   

So why have we bases in Germany, Falklands Cyrpus, Diego Garcia, Gibraltar and Accension Islands? (I've probably missed some out).

Because we need them to defend our citizens and to be able to project pwer, its not like the days of old where the RN could go and sort it out.
[qoute]
Who said the Argyles and Black Watch are based in England? The Black Watch and Argyle are part of a Battalion based in Scotland, The three other battalions are based in England and Wales - I think you getting your Regiments and Battalion definition wrong.
Uhh wha?
Royal scots regmient HQ = Edinburgh castle.
Kings own scottish borders = Berwick Upon Tweed
Argyll and sutherland highlanders ( hell yeah these guys rock!!) = west coast of scotland and to the Firth of Forth (want me to go and ask my local TA base to take a picture of them with thier berets on?)
Black watch =Perthshire, Fife, Dundee and Angus also anywhere from scotland and the UK.
royal highland regiment = GLASGOW and AYRSHIRE .

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Anyway, I still cant find anymore information on the creation of a UK Rangers force, It'll be interesting to actual see what they are gonna be tasked with.

The links that you provided Devilwasp only mention the creation of the Rangers.

Can anyone else provide any Links for this new Rangers force.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Anyway, I still cant find anymore information on the creation of a UK Rangers force, It'll be interesting to actual see what they are gonna be tasked with.

The links that you provided Devilwasp only mention the creation of the Rangers.

Can anyone else provide any Links for this new Rangers force.

look for royal regmient of scotland, it will tell you of the para and royal regiment are going to be support units for the SF groups.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Its not going to be any Scottish Regiments that are to be the support for the SBS and SAS, its the 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2004/12/17/narmy117.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/12/17/ixhome

[edit on 20-12-2004 by spacemunkey]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Its not going to be any Scottish Regiments that are to be the support for the SBS and SAS, its the 1st Battalion Parachute Regiment

www.telegraph.co.uk.../news/2004/12/17/narmy117.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/12/17/ixhome

[edit on 20-12-2004 by spacemunkey]

The Scottish regiments new job is a support unit, why do you think they are combineing them?
This "new" force will give britains military more abilitly to fight terrorists. Supossedly.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:28 AM
link   

The decision to create a special forces support regiment solved the biggest problem facing the Army Board in deciding which battalions to cut.

The choice was between the single-battalion Green Howards and the multi-battalion Royal Regiment of Fusiliers - both had a number of influential backers. The Green Howards could count Tony Blair and Field Marshal Lord Inge among their supporters, while the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers could count on the backing of some 200 MPs and Gen Jackson himself.

Disbanding the second battalion of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers, as advocated by supporters of the Green Howards, would have forced the remaining battalion to amalgamate with another.

Losing one of the existing multi-battalion regiments would have made the changes appear a pointless exercise and been seen as a defeat for Gen Jackson. Defence sources said yesterday that he would not have wanted to stay.

Diverting of one of the battalions of the Parachute Regiment to provide support for the SAS and SBS provided a way out in which everyone was seen to win, they said........General Mike Jackson

Devilwasp, can you show me a link to support your claim that the Scottish Regiments are going to be a 'Support Units for SF' The Scottish Regiments will never be a support company for the SBS or SAS

Spacemunkey

[edit on 21-12-2004 by spacemunkey]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Devilwasp, can you show me a link to support your claim that the Scottish Regiments are going to be a 'Support Units for SF' The Scottish Regiments will never be a support company for the SBS or SAS

Spacemunkey

[edit on 21-12-2004 by spacemunkey]

It was on the news. and why wouldnt they?
Exscuse me while i find it.

dh

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Whatever the Rangers may be they'll still just be a useless and dumbassed bunch of performing and, maybe, sadistic, monkeys doing the bidding of a self-serving and thoroughly corrupt elite
Infantalised tough guys doing the homicidal bidding of deathwanking rich guys
Where's the honor in that?

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by dh
Whatever the Rangers may be they'll still just be a useless and dumbassed bunch of performing and, maybe, sadistic, monkeys doing the bidding of a self-serving and thoroughly corrupt elite
Infantalised tough guys doing the homicidal bidding of deathwanking rich guys
Where's the honor in that?

So you call all service men AND women arseholess?
The military has a job to defend thier country, do you want anyone to walk in and abuse you worse than our country does now?
If you say "yes" then frankly I dont see you as fit to be a citizen of a country.
If your unhappy about the government then do something, dont just complain. Take martin luthor king or malcom X they both helped change america , do you want to end up controlled and oppressed? You may say you are already but remember , you can stop them just by not buying things.

Also i did read it wrong its only the paras to be the CORE of the new rangers but they will recruit members from all services.

[edit on 22-12-2004 by devilwasp]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join