It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In satire, veritas - The Onion and big Pharm

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
www.theonion.com...

This is presented as satire, and supposed to be funny. It is, but funny in that sense of, "Oh, Wow...did that just happen?"

It is, in fact, pretty close to what has happened with some of these trials. Of course, the effects are not obvious immediately, and by the time that the damage is noticeable, lifestyles have contributed a heap of additional factors to be considered. So we will never know, for sure, just how many "trial patients" were hurried along to their final rest as a result of their "participation."

Doctors prescribe with their wallets.

Drug companies spend more to fill those wallets than they do on researching the drugs they peddle.

And we get this from The Onion.

Truth disguised as humor is no less true. Spoonful of sugar, or some other sweetener whose chemical composition is in cosmic alignment with your natural internal vibratory emanations, and all that

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: cronemel

By law, the Pharmos don't have to publish the failed studies, only the ones that go well enough for the FDA licensing process.

The Nuremberg code was updated in 2008 with a number of transparency measures which would change this secrecy which really harms everyone. These were predictably ignored by the profit machines.

The amended Nuremberg code.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

S&F! That was pretty funny and would appear so close to the mark LOL. Do you remember the TV commercials where one of the side effects was Spaniel Ears?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

FDA - You mean the Fraud and Deception Agency? They haven't been effective since the first form they ever devised! A list of their approved disasters should bring tears to the most cynical of hearts. What might have been a noble idea way back when has transmogrified into a bloated, sedentary semi-sentient life form that recycles its own fecal output, only accepts new nourishment from poisoned and tainted sources, and can't be bothered to kick the turds out of its own nest.

Or should I tell you how I REALLY feel about the FDA?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Thanks!

I shut off the TV back around 1990, so if it wasn't a Super Bowl ad aired since then...I haven't seen it. But I have seen enough clips/blurbs/vines/gifs to know the sort of thing you mean...

and commercials were a key reason I gave the idiot box the grand farewell. *Shudder*

(Off topic - I am new round these parts, and this is the second time someone has greeted me with S&F. I am taking it as a greeting/compliment...correctly? Translation? I could not find a reference to this anywhere in the newbie boards. If this doesn't belong in this post, please delete, deduct and let me know not to off topic again. Thanks.)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Means Star & Flag. Your opening post received a star and your thread received a "flag".
edit on 27-2-2015 by theNLBS because: words are hard

edit on 27-2-2015 by theNLBS because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: cronemel
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Thanks!

I shut off the TV back around 1990, so if it wasn't a Super Bowl ad aired since then...I haven't seen it. But I have seen enough clips/blurbs/vines/gifs to know the sort of thing you mean...

and commercials were a key reason I gave the idiot box the grand farewell. *Shudder*

(Off topic - I am new round these parts, and this is the second time someone has greeted me with S&F. I am taking it as a greeting/compliment...correctly? Translation? I could not find a reference to this anywhere in the newbie boards. If this doesn't belong in this post, please delete, deduct and let me know not to off topic again. Thanks.)

A Star and Flag, S&F, is basically an indication that the OP has hit on something interesting, valuable or humorous, in any event of value to someone reading the OP. So yes, it is complementary. It is also a way to "bump" the OP as accumulating Flags (and possibly Stars) moves an article up in importance. At some level set by the owners, that Flag level can place the OP on the main page. So, I think that's basically the way it works ;-)

I am quite sure we would all wish you many more S&F's as it is an indication of the validity of threads and subject matter which makes for good contributors.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 2/28.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
My thanks to both of you for the explanation. I had sussed out stars and flags, and what they represent - but never made the association with noting when awarding them. Makes perfect sense now.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

EXCELLENT title. Great find.

F&S&

top topics

join