It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basic Religion Test Stumps Many Americans

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
No big suprise, been saying it all along, just because you believe in Jesus, call yourself a christian and go to church, that doesnt make a person a christian.
Plenty of people attend a church because they believe it will save them, christianity is not about attending or believing, its about relationships.Plenty attend a church because its their culture.

I think the test is valid, i think the videos title is valid, there are plenty of stupid religious people who are banking on attending church to get to heaven, not depending on God or themselves.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Volcanoes and the sun are not made made and can't be affected by man. You fail to realize that man contributes to warming. With some of the things i listed above. You don't dispute them. You just give BS junk back we can't change. In denial or protecting you business interests? Flatworlders don't like facts. Pollution is all a computer animated fraud, projected holograms / NOT!! You must be reading these articles and typing in braille. a reply to: NihilistSanta

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Good points. I do agree there is merit to experiential faith. I was always after both. I wanted the experience, but I also wanted to know everything I could learn about Christianity. I didn't go to seminary, though. lol.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

Thanks for your opinion. I'm sure many theologians and scholars for the past 2000+ year would disagree
edit on 27-2-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: Klassified

Didn't we do this a few years ago?
Anyway - hiya.

S/F

EDIT: The only one I 'missed' was the beginning of the Sabbath. I said Saturday. It's Friday. Oh well.

Yeah, I think we did do something along this order now that you mention it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Klassified
Many also delved into it before they were atheists/agnostics. Either as a Christian, like myself, or just trying to decide what they believed, if anything. Though I don't discount the debunking part of your statement, either. I personally learned what I know because I was a devout Christian for decades.

That's me. I was immersed in it from the cradle and I really loved learning about it. I started asking "uncomfortable" questions by the time I was 4-5. As Silverman said, being an atheist is is an effect of my knowledge, not an indication that I lack knowledge.

I looked at several of the questions and I think I'd score pretty high.

There seems to be a handful of us here, BH. All proud heathens now. LOL!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
You scored better than 97% of the public, below 1% and the same as 2%.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Isn't that what moral relativism and progressive Christianity says about it?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Why are questioning someone whose experiences differ from yours? Just because you can't conceive of coming back to faith after having left it and examining other ways doesn't mean that everyone is the same as you are.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: pez1975
You scored better than 97% of the public, below 1% and the same as 2%.

I scored 100. I consider myself an agnostic with mystic leanings.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

Take the test and tell me again how much of this test has anything to do with being Christian.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

lol! Yeah, you're absolutely right. Not everyone is the same as I am. And not everyone is the same as you are, either.

K-State, was it? Or some 'Methodist' university? Heaven forbid that a person might attend a school that IS NOT "Christian" at its core.

Why are questioning someone whose experiences differ from yours?

Sorry - this question makes no grammatical sense.

edit on 2/27/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Good points. I do agree there is merit to experiential faith. I was always after both. I wanted the experience, but I also wanted to know everything I could learn about Christianity. I didn't go to seminary, though. lol.

I would actually hazard a guess that if you wanted these scores to go up, as well as understanding between people of all beliefs (including agnostics and atheists), you would institute a comparative religions course in high school.

Of course, I'm sure many people here know very well why this doesn't happen.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

you would institute a comparative religions course in high school.

There should ABSOLUTELY be a comparative religions course in high school. Even in middle- and grade- school. (It used to be called "Social Studies", just in case you didn't know.)

But, well, the Religious Right wants only to teach Creationism, ya know. Have a prayer before each class. Leave out evolution and all that jazz.

*eyeroll*

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

lol! Yeah, you're absolutely right. Not everyone is the same as I am. And not everyone is the same as you are, either.

K-State, was it? Or some 'Methodist' university? Heaven forbid that a person might attend a school that IS NOT "Christian" at its core.

You don't know a thing about K-State. It was actually founded as an agricultural school and has no especial religious affiliation.

So please check your
assumptions in your rush to judge.

Kansas State University, originally named Kansas State Agricultural College, was founded in Manhattan on February 16, 1863, during the American Civil War, as a land-grant institution under the Morrill Act.[6][8] The school was the first land-grant college created under the Morrill Act.[8][9] K-State is the third-oldest school in the Big 12 Conference and the oldest public university in the state of Kansas.[6]

When the college opened for its first session on September 2, 1863, it became only the second public institution of higher learning to admit women and men equally in the United States.[12] Enrollment for the first session totaled 52 students: 26 men and 26 women.[8]

So it was actually quite progressive.

Perhaps you are confusing it with Manhattan Christian College?

The two campuses are right next to one another and in the same town even, so I could see how you might get them mixed up if you are only doing a web search in an attempt to launch a personal attack on someone.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

you would institute a comparative religions course in high school.

There should ABSOLUTELY be a comparative religions course in high school. Even in middle- and grade- school.

But, well, the Religious Right wants only to teach Creationism, ya know. Have a prayer before each class. Leave out evolution and all that jazz.

*eyeroll*

Boy, someone did spit in your bean curd today, didn't they?

Comparative religion is not about creationism. But if you want to be intellectually honest you know that and you also know that is not what I was talking about when I mentioned it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

A WEB SEARCH? Honey, I am a KU alumnus. I've lived in Kansas for all but 13 years of my 56-year 'tenure' here on Earth. (And I am particularly grateful for those 13 years, although I won't expect you to ask where those precious 13 were spent - you don't want to know, anyway.)

So - your 'alma' apparently is K-State - fine - you went to K-State. Yes, I know it is an "agricultural" school. We have K-State Extension Service agents here in Kansas City. My vet is a doctor from there. I know PLENTY of people who went to K-State.

That still does not qualify you to "take Kansas". And BROWNBACK SUCKS. Have you seen the FB page "Brownbackistan"? There's a movement growing to recall him. Thank GOD. I think I might go to the organizational meeting - March 11th in Topeka - you want to carpool???

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
Volcanoes and the sun are not made made and can't be affected by man. You fail to realize that man contributes to warming. With some of the things i listed above. You don't dispute them. You just give BS junk back we can't change. In denial or protecting you business interests? Flatworlders don't like facts. Pollution is all a computer animated fraud, projected holograms / NOT!! You must be reading these articles and typing in braille. a reply to: NihilistSanta

The above is way off topic and you completely missed how I was using that debate as an example. Try to divest yourself from the need to be "right" and read into what was actually stated.

Apologies for further derailment but the issue was just left hanging in the air.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   
So that's how you defend what you said about something? You brought up global warming being volcanoes ect.. Way to correct me. Dismiss it. Good one. a reply to: NihilistSanta

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: borntowatch

Take the test and tell me again how much of this test has anything to do with being Christian.

I got three questions wrong one relating to Nirvana, a Jewish rabbi and a US political issue.
Irrespective how much they have to do with christianity it shows a very poor standard of education and community, christians should understand the world to be apologists. To understand the arguments and a desire to seek God.
I have been to a Mosque and a buddhist temple, I am aware of the arguments relating to creation evolution in society.
Christians are in the world, we are part of it, we should know it, we are part of the community.

I believe Christianity is about a relationship with God first, (thats the golden rule) and then within their communities. Inside the community not outside.Separate but together understanding non Christians.

and yes a basics of religion should be taught at high school
edit on b2015Sat, 28 Feb 2015 02:48:57 -060022820156am282015-02-28T02:48:57-06:00 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join