It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The big melt: Antarctica's retreating ice may re-shape Earth

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
But it's not really melting because Imhofe had a snowball in his hand the other day,

Right?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

We all know you are just a climate change shill rez!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

We all know you are just a climate change shill rez!

I know, right? And they paid me to write the book on it to, the one that promotes methane gas and goes against everything they've promoted for the past three decades.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

Maybe its melting because the poles are moving and the weather is adjusting to the new true north, once it finished moving.

Maybe we have nothing to do with it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Maybe its melting because the poles are moving and the weather is adjusting to the new true north, once it finished moving.

Maybe we have nothing to do with it.

I think we do though. I base that opinion on the fact that almost all the leading scientists in the world are telling me that. But then again Imhofe had a snowball in his hand...hmmm

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Is it the same group of scientist that are responsible for covering up the real origins of humanity? Same people?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

They feed you and you lay golden eggs for them.

You need ask yourself if Antarctica's retreating ice is really true why has Antarctica ice extent been the largest on record for the last three years running. Clearly warming oceans arn't a good thing for ice so something is not right with the logic they feed you. So stop laying them golden eggs.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

They dont know their ass from their elbows.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

You need ask yourself if Antarctica's retreating ice is really true why has Antarctica ice extent been the largest on record for the last three years running.

ex·tent
ikˈstent/Submit
noun
the area covered by something.
"an enclosure ten acres in extent"
synonyms: area, size, expanse, length; More
the degree to which something has spread; the size or scale of something.

plural noun: extents
"the extent of AIDS infection"
the amount to which something is or is believed to be the case.
"everyone will have to compromise to some extent"

There is a reason why they used the word "extent".

When they speak of "extent" they are not talking about giant walls of ice like above they are talking about surface ice like below.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

They had to change their name from "Global warming" to "Climate Change" because they know the planet stopped warming but the tax man hates to let go of a good thing so they will continue tooth and nail until it becomes unwinnable.

Personally I am far more worried about a climate affect that might cause another little ice age in coming years. It explains why antartica's ice shelf has expanded to record levels. Thats a lot more sunlight being reflected in space so more ice could accelerate the cooling.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Thanks Grimpachi I realize what ice extent is. Its not a point of how thick it is, more so, what is causing it to expand to record levels. Perhaps I can test at home. I will put some ice into a pan and heat up the water to see if more ice grows.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   

You gotta separate climate science from most other forms of science. It really is the only sub category of science that has become purely political/economical. Don't be confused though, I am not dismissing all climate science data, nor the climate scientists/science in general.

If you could just answer this question...What provides almost 100% of the earth's energy, and how far back do we have accurate readings around the world regarding solar variation? The climate proxies used are questionable at best.
edit on 27-2-2015 by c0gN1t1v3D1ss0nanC3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

They had to change their name from "Global warming" to "Climate Change" because they know the planet stopped warming but the tax man hates to let go of a good thing so they will continue tooth and nail until it becomes unwinnable.

You can thank Republican political strategist Frank Luntz in a controversial memo advising conservative politicians on communicating about the environment for the change in dialog.

It’s time for us to start talking about “climate change” instead of global warming and “conservation” instead of preservation.

“Climate change” is less frightening than “global warming”. As one focus group participant noted, climate change “sounds like you’re going from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale.” While global warming has catastrophic connotations attached to it, climate change suggests a more controllable and less emotional challenge.
Memo

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend

Thanks Grimpachi I realize what ice extent is. It's not a point of how thick it is, more so, what is causing it to expand to record levels. Perhaps I can test at home. I will put some ice into a pan and heat up the water to see if more ice grows.

I see you missed the point.

If you want to experiment try this: take two buckets of water outside in the cold when it is below freezing in one put some ice cubes to simulate glaciers broken off in the other leave it be. Now wait to see which one forms surface ice first.

The article says Antarctica is losing ice that means glacier loss is outpacing snowpack buildup. Sea Ice doesn't mean anything to ocean levels, but that experiment should keep you busy.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I've seen Waterworld.

If I'm alive in 1000 yrs, I'm pretty sure I can survive.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
I've seen Waterworld.

If I'm alive in 1000 yrs, I'm pretty sure I can survive.

You gonna be the lone wolf guy or part of the evil people?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Ice extent is highest on the north side where there is no melt (according to GW camp). But we are playing with dodgy information at best. Ice cores show that land ice mass has been increasing which supports findings that show temperatures at McMurdo have been decreasing since 1986.

But GW does not exclude a colder Antarctica, The problem is that the ice extent should not be expanding further out into the warming oceans.
edit on 27 2 2015 by glend because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   

land ice mass has been increasing

Really that is news to me everything I looked up says the opposite.

Sea ice is increasing which increases the extent of the ice sheet, but no one has said land ice mass has increased.

The east Antartic did a little but both the West Antartic and the Antartic Peninsula both decreased bringing the whole of the Antartic land ice to a net loss not gain.

findings that show temperatures at McMurdo have been decreasing since 1986.

Are you sure about that?

The highest temperature ever recorded was 10.5°C (50.9 Fahrenheit) on December 30, 2001.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

The highest temperature ever recorded was 10.5°C (50.9 Fahrenheit) on December 30, 2001.

Wait........ what? I don't believe that for one minute please add context.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Ha those guys are as slippery as fish, in 2005 Antarctica was in a 2 decade long cooling trend and now its into a multiple decade warming trend. Guess they must have corrected those errors that showed cooling!

Rug up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join