It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The big melt: Antarctica's retreating ice may re-shape Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: lostbook

The consensus from scientists in the aricle is that in 200 to 1000 years for the oceans to raise by 10ft. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

With a rapid increase in the Arctic as well and global warming accelerating to, it isn't going to take 100 years.

I wonder/ worry about that scenario.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
More chinwobbling......that's all.....it must suit the agenda....
Science is no longer trustworthy as they are entirely dependant on funding, and must have results that meet the funding partys criteria it seems.....
Too many reports of rigged data have emerged....
All in all, id put the bulk of Scientists right on the current PTB agenda, as they are not independent or perhaps never were......

A ten foot rise of ocean levels would obliterate Floridas Infrastructure if not the state.....
Would render much of current port facilities unuseable due to tidal action, and change earths weather patterns.
Would spell the inundation of Bangaladesh,and other low lying places, many low islands/atols would be gone......

There are questions in my mind as to what the redistribution of the actuall weight of all that material would do to the earths axis, etc....perhaps the computer modelling will improve in the future, but as for now it cannot be relied upon for serious accuracy....remember these are modelled predictions....and we all know what that can mean in terms of meeting the expected results of same.....
Time will tell, but no amount of carbon taxes will change anything significantly.....

edit on 27-2-2015 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AzureSky
Just out of curiousity. It says that the ice is melting where the ocean is hitting it.
Meaning that the weight of the ice is already on the water, and the law of buoyancy is in effect correct? So as soon as the weight of the ice is on the water, it's already risen even before melting.
Only land based ice will raise the water level. Humans will adapt regardless

As land Ice breaks from the Glacier(s) it moves into the sea and skews the land ice/ sea ice ratio so LAND ICE is contributing to SEA ICE. At least that's my understanding..

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

From the ground in this extreme northern part of Antarctica

Can somebody please explain the "Northern" part of Antarctica?

The Antarctic Peninsula is the northernmost part of the mainland of Antarctica.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

I do agree to a point. I am all for the idea that we are just coming out of an ice age but I'll still won't just throw out ideas presented to me by people that know much more then me.
Or just use that thought process to say that man has no contributing factors.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
it's the damn volcanic activity

Active Volcano Discovered Under Antarctic Ice Sheet

www.livescience.com...

edit on 122828p://bFriday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Hidden Volcanoes Melt Antarctic Glaciers from Below
news.discovery.com...

Seafloor Eruptions Triggered by Tides, Ice Ages
National Geographic-Feb 7, 2015
Earth's seafloor is born in fiery eruptions along volcanic mid-ocean ridges. ... When the Earth warms and glaciers begin to melt, sea level rises. ... Antarctic ice cores show that CO2 levels also follow the 100,000-year cycle.
Scientists Link Underwater Eruptions to Climate Change
NBCNews.com-Feb 6, 2015
Undersea Volcanoes Linked To Climate Change By Researchers
The Inquisitr-Feb 7, 2015
Climate change linked to underwater volcano activity in new studies
SMN Weekly-Feb 6, 2015
Do underwater volcanoes alter Earth's climate?
In-Depth-Christian Science Monitor-Feb 6, 2015
Undersea Volcanoes Could Affect Climate Change
In-Depth-Discovery News-Feb 5, 2015

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: lostbook

How much damage do you reckon ten feet would make?

A lot to my Malibu Beach house...wait...I don't have one. I forgot.

Peace

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

NASA funding is dependant on supporting global warming which is why many former NASA scientist and astronauts protested years back. We are not dealing with science here at all, its a political agenda to increase profits for the banking sector in the futures markets in carbon trading.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

And that volcanic activity increases when the sun goes quiet due to increased decay of radioactive elements in earths core. A wonderful thermostat from mother nature to try keep us warm

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Well, ice does tend to melt in the Summer time, and it's sort of late Summer in the Antarctic part of the planet. On the other side, the northern hemisphere is experiencing a lot of cold weather.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I am more concerned about surviving a nuclear winter in the next few years than I am about GW sea levels 100 years from now.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: greencmp

NASA funding is dependant on supporting global warming which is why many former NASA scientist and astronauts protested years back. We are not dealing with science here at all, its a political agenda to increase profits for the banking sector in the futures markets in carbon trading.

And to back that banking sector plan up, they've begun Phase 2 to initiate an increase in volcanic eruptions, seismic activity, sinkholes, extreme weather patterns and loud booms. And when that doesn't work, I can't wait to see Phase 3...those dirty rotten bankers!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Over 68 percent of all the fresh water on Earth is found in icecaps and glaciers, and 90% of that, is in Antarctica.
As the ice disappears in Antarctica, so does this huge percentage of our fresh water. Perhaps we should find a way to preserve some of it.... for a non-rainy day.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

The ice melting has something to do with the fact that the poles are shifting away from the north pole and further south doesnt it?

Wouldnt that mean that eventually the ice will re accumulate in the new true north and south?

Thats it will melt and a new glacial period will start once they are are done shifting for a while right?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
Over 68 percent of all the fresh water on Earth is found in icecaps and glaciers, and 90% of that, is in Antarctica.
As the ice disappears in Antarctica, so does this huge percentage of our fresh water. Perhaps we should find a way to preserve some of it.... for a non-rainy day.

Another possible trigger for rapid climate change is ocean circulation. Today, warm water from the equator is carried towards the poles on ocean surface currents.

Look.....

Because Milankovitch’s theory tied climate change to the slow and regular variations in Earth’s orbit, the scientific community expected that climate change would also be slow and gradual. But the ice cores showed that while it took nearly 10,000 years for the Earth to totally emerge from the last ice age and warm to today’s balmy climate, one-third to one-half of the warming—about 15 degrees Fahrenheit—occurred in about 10 years, at least in Greenland.

source

Don't believe the BS most people on here will try to have you believe. The fresh water will disrupt the oceans currents as the poles continue to move and cause a new glaciation period in another region of the world.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

No but they will highlight all natural climate variations in media to try convince the gullible they need pay more from their wallet to save humanity from doom. Its clear that the elite this world are only interested in power and greed. They don't care about the environment nor do they care about the people. The global warming brigade helps the elite destroy our earth, not save it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: glend
a reply to: Rezlooper

No but they will highlight all natural climate variations in media to try convince the gullible they need pay more from their wallet to save humanity from doom. Its clear that the elite this world are only interested in power and greed. They don't care about the environment nor do they care about the people. The global warming brigade helps the elite destroy our earth, not save it.

Well, what about me? I'm as poor as they come, yet I care enough to do my best to spread the word. I'm not following along with what the global elite try to tell me to do either, I can see for myself the escalation in climate-caused events on a worldwide level, so somethings going on. Maybe, the one's you refer to are trying to capitalize on something that is inevitably occurring. Shame on them, but it doesn't change the facts.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think we have less than 100 years to fix a whole host of far more dire problems before we see the "recurving of heavily populated coastlines".

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
I think we have less than 100 years to fix a whole host of far more dire problems before we see the "recurving of heavily populated coastlines".

Possibly. The weather may change but we have the technology to adapt to the changes.

What we need to do is start living for humanity and art and stop living for greed and capitalism or religious wars so we can start using the technology we have to our benefit instead of a means to a greedy end.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join