It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The stone cold and sobering truth

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
The stone cold and sobering truth of the world is that no matter how much money you make or what your life accomplishments may bring you you are going to die miserable and alone. You will eventually die in a horrifying accident or you will experience a long and drawn out miserable death on a hospital bed. Your going to be incontinent, most of your family will forget about you, they will have a funeral or cremate your body and you will be forgotten in a years time.

Nothing you do at this point will have mattered. You will face death totally alone.

Thats reality folks.

The funny thing is this ain't nowhere near the truth or reality, ever been to a funeral? Thr ones I attend are full of the people that have been touched in one way or another by the deceased and a beautiful thing.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Hi onequestion.
I'm going to tell you what I tell parents of twin babies..."I've been where you are...and it gets better."

Now I'm going to disagree with you.

Everyone does not die miserable and alone.
Does the man who has a quick fatal heart attack during an orgasm suffer...or go out with a bang?

Does the person who dies in their sleep suffer?
We don't know so you're only assuming this.

Does an elderly person surrounded by loved ones feel alone? Not while they're conscious.
Again...we still don't really know what they feel when they become unconscious.

Most of your family will forget about you?
I REALLY wish this would be true.
Because my life is full of people mourning all their lives for the loss of loved ones. Every single day. They feel their loss with every breath they take.

I don't want to die anytime soon only for the simple fact that certain people would mourn me very painfully. I would hate to think of how it would affect my daughters...my son...his son...and a few others.
I would actually prefer it if I saw that people didn't get paralyzed with emotional pain that affects them the rest of their lives.

As for 'nothing you do matters'...so not true. EVERY thing you do matters.
Every choice, every decision throughout your life...because everything YOU do affects someone else in some way.
And so on...and so on.

This 'deep thinking' that you're doing...it's okay. After a while some things make more sense.
Sadly, there are still too many things that don't make any sense at all.

In the words of someone I will miss, "Live long and prosper." (RIP Leonard Nimoy)...someone I admire, "While there's life, there is hope." (Stephen Hawking)...and someone whose words mean a lot to me, "Love is all you need." (The Beatles).

In a nutshell, Live long and prosper. While there's life, there is hope. Love is all you need.

jacygirl

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Any day now, please.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

www.youtube.com... This basically changes everything.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

LOL "thank you for the pick me up" LOL half of what the OP was crap.. Ok so we all die, that doesnt mean my life had no meaning, sorry but thats the sobering truth

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Nothing you do at this point will have mattered. You will face death totally alone.

Did Ghandi matter? Carl Jung? What about Ceaser? Sun Tzu? Hell my 3rd grade teacher Mrs. Stanley!

If it was for nothing then there would be.. nothing. Everything you see has a purpose. The trick is finding it.

" You will eventually die in a horrifying accident or you will experience a long and drawn out miserable death on a hospital bed."

No, that's not the only way to go out. Besides, death is merely a physical explanation of the process. We don't know what happens to consciousness once we die.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
Any day now, please.

Wish I could give you 5 more stars!!!

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Be Empathetic, do a good deed every day however small, make peace, be positive. Try not to waste your life .

www.worldlifeexpectancy.com...

Become an Angel ?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Well, this is a very hard headed attitude towards life, does it make you feel better. I guess in the meantime, we can enjoy this amazing experience called life the wonder of being on a rock planet in the middle of space circling a huge fiery ball. Make the most of the experiences that present themselves to us along the way. Fall totally in love giving you self up to another person, not to live in fear, not to cling to material possessions and negative beliefs and other people. Let it all go and be part of the stream called life. Don't fight against it, and go with it.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Well, this is a very hard headed attitude towards life, does it make you feel better. I guess in the meantime, we can enjoy this amazing experience called life the wonder of being on a rock planet in the middle of space circling a huge fiery ball. Make the most of the experiences that present themselves to us along the way. Fall totally in love giving you self up to another person, not to live in fear, not to cling to material possessions and negative beliefs and other people. Let it all go and be part of the stream called life. Don't fight against it, and go with it.

Thats some damn good advice

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   

The stone cold and sobering truth of the world is that no matter how much money you make or what your life accomplishments may bring you you are going to die miserable and alone. You will eventually die in a horrifying accident or you will experience a long and drawn out miserable death on a hospital bed. Your going to be incontinent, most of your family will forget about you, they will have a funeral or cremate your body and you will be forgotten in a years time.

Thats reality folks.

Maya has got you right by the balls.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
You are right about one thing, we are all going to die. And there is some merit to the all alone part. “You gotta walk that lonesome valley. You gotta walk it by yourself. Ain’t nobody else can walk it for you. You gotta walk it by yourself.” As to lying in a pool of poop, I don’t know.

What you say is kind of important, because a growing part of today’s reality, is a belief that, “I may not have to die”. And like you say that just ain’t so.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Coffins are always made for one. People do have to face the process of death alone, but rarely lonely. The rest are simply bystanders. Anyone who says otherwise is letting their sentimentality get the better of them.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   

You think Buddha died like this?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Been technically alone my whole life. I don't see why my death would change that. At this point, I would actually shoo people away from me if I was dying in a hospital. I don't want their last-minute love.

I do, however fear the act of death yet. Mostly depending on the act. And say, dying from falling in a wedge of rock or ice where no one knows where I am does terrify the # outta me for some reason.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: phiche1

The stone cold and sobering truth of the world is that no matter how much money you make or what your life accomplishments may bring you you are going to die miserable and alone.

Thats reality folks.

This was pretty much the opening line of the opening lecture in one of my philosophy classes. The professor was challenging us to explain why life was worth living. It's easy to slip into nihilism when you fully grasp your end fate. It's here that our personal philosophy on life is exposed. How do you react to such a statement?

Denial?
Nihilism?
Do you cling to dogma of religion?
Do you seek out meaning of your own?

I struggled with the reality after reading Hamlet for the first time. The gravedigger tells Hamlet he started digging the prince's grave the moment he was born. The gravity of that lay on me heavily, and I languished under it. It was later that I discovered Sartre and Camus, and began to see that, for me, it doesn't matter how life ends, only that I know it will. And the challenge for my life is to find happiness and purpose that makes the inevitable fate nothing more than an end to a grand adventure. I may be alone, I may be miserable, but at the moment of my death, I will be at peace. Not because of some promised afterlife, or a possible reincarnation, but because I sought truth, happiness, and love with what time I had.

And just as an addendum, you say that nothing I do will matter. The question that should be the response to this is, "To whom?" If it matters to me, then the actions and accomplishments still matter, but not in a sense of the greater universe. To seek a legacy is folly and leads to misery, but to seek happiness within yourself is peace-giving.

I'm good with personal peace. Whatever legacy I have isn't truly mine anyway, but in the minds of others. And for all we know, other minds are simply simulations in a personal universe.

First post, be gentle.

Great first post. Welcome to ATS. I'm glad you're here!

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

You might be speaking just for yourself here and it is quite possible all these things will come to pass but it's hardly reality for everyone. Start with we don't even know what "death" is to that single atom which houses the soul and all our memories. Many, many people are loved and remembered, some even worshiped long after their deaths. It kind of depends on the legacy you leave behind who, if anyone, is going to actually miss you. I sponsor eternal memorial pages for two friends who've passed and I am surprised how many mutual friends will post a remembrance, a photo or a lighted candle as if to say their spirit still burns with us. We remember them, miss them. love them. Many people are thought about everyday. Others, their families could not forget if they wanted to. Many will die unexpectedly doing something they love. Others will die while making love. Some will close their eyes and die peacefully in hospital beds surrounded by loved ones. Many will choose when they die and finally pass after everyone they wished to see stopped by their bedside. Many will be glad they are going and quite a few will wear a smile.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
Coffins are always made for one. People do have to face the process of death alone, but rarely lonely. The rest are simply bystanders. Anyone who says otherwise is letting their sentimentality get the better of them.

Judging from this epitaph of yours it would appear you have the answers philosophers have pondered for millennia. Kudos.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Coffins are not always only made for one. You've heard of a mass grave? Many who've died, had company, not bystanders but family and friends, sometimes strangers who went and died then too. They all began their "wedding with eternity" together. Death is like a graduation for the soul. Not sure how sobering that is to people who really don't want to sober up? Some want to stay drunk and depressed, making up stuff they don't know, but only imagine, from an earthy plane and a limited perspective.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   

speak for yourself friend.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join