It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Crown of Kerberos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:59 AM
link   

In Greek mythology we hear of Cerberus or Kerberos, a vicious three-headed hound who guards the entrance to the Underworld, with the tail of a serpent's and the claws of a lion's. I bet the guys who designed the drill bits used on oil rigs around the globe, had this beast in mind... or the other way around of course, that the ancients saw this thing in some fevered hallucination, or while breathing methane sifting up from below Delphi-- and turned the vision into one of their sacred beasts. Kerberos.

Found the pics at Norsk Oljemuseum and en.wikipedia.org...

Three heads, check.
Serpent's tail, check.
Lion's claws, check.
Underworld, check.
edit on 27-2-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: Edited title Guardian of the Underworld

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

That is an interesting comparison, but I fail to see how this drill bit would be considered the guardian of the underworld. It would breech the underworld not protect it. Can you explain that bit for me please?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Silenceisalie

Fair enough, but it does mark the threshold of the underworld, I'll find a better title, thanks for the heads-up

ETA: On a side note: Hades translates into "Dødsriket" in Norwegian, it sounds exactly like slang for "Extremely rich", and in ancient Norse mythology the Ouroboros is named the "Midgard Serpent", which Thor pulls up from the bottom of the North Sea using the head of a bull (!) as bait, striking his legs struck through the hull of a boat standing the bedrock below.
edit on 27-2-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: misc typos and rephrasing

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
didnt this just have a different title, if so, why did you change it, thanks

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
didnt this just have a different title, if so, why did you change it, thanks

==> www.abovetopsecret.com...

User Silenceisalie thought the title was confusing. I agreed, and since there were nearly now views yet, I changed it into something a little more poetic.

Friday wiii! Spring wiiiii!!!
edit on 27-2-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   

That makes better sense. Thanks for the clarification.

You are right, it does look like a crown!

I didn't know that about the translation. That is very interesting. So you feel the oil they drill now is the Midgard Serpant?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Silenceisalie

That makes better sense. Thanks for the clarification.

You are right, it does look like a crown!

It's actually called a "borekrone" in Norwegian which translates into "drilling crown".

I didn't know that about the translation. That is very interesting. So you feel the oil they drill now is the Midgard Serpant?

Aye. The curator of Mammon, ancient dragons squeezed into goo and put ablaze, the Ouroboros biting its tail, global oil trade and "self-consumption".... Check out the names of the Norwegian oil fields. Lots of mythology there.

Thor angling for Jormungandr ==> norse-mythology.org...
edit on 27-2-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: Added link and rephrased some

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Silenceisalie

As for guarding the Underworld, you only get thus far-- as the Kerberos goes. Kerberos stands between the living world and the dead remains of the dragonworld in shape of petroleum. Ever heard the term "Greek Fire"?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   

I think that all of this could be a reach but I love it! Thank you for making my cogs turn (no pun intended).

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

There is plenty more. The biblical monster Leviathan is a sub, it means whale. I saw an Israeli sub named Leviathan docked in my hometown while being tested by the German wharf building it once. Explains a bit.
edit on 5-3-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join