It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edwards Gun Harmonizing Range

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:23 AM
link   
google maps; switch to satellite view

Nellis Pavehawk at the range

This particular structure at Edwards AFB is used to test gun accuracy. However it often is confused for an opening to an underground facility. This USAF article is the first I ever saw about the facility, let alone provide the official name.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: gariac
google maps; switch to satellite view

Nellis Pavehawk at the range

This particular structure at Edwards AFB is used to test gun accuracy. However it often is confused for an opening to an underground facility. This USAF article is the first I ever saw about the facility, let alone provide the official name.

damn i always wondered what that was. nice find

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
We have one of those here at Rickenbacker (LCK), south end of Columbus,OH, tucked away out in the woods.

Looks abandoned. I always wondered what the heck it was as I used to see it across the tarmac from where I used to work on the airport. I always thought it was an old secret bunker or something.

The more you know I guess. Below is a picture of it from google with the overgrowth.

S&F

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Right on Gariac! I was looking at google maps imagery of Edwards the other day and was wondering what that was. I also thought, hmmm. doors to a bunker for storage or something. Now I know what it actually is. Very cool.

On a side note. You have some of the best threads here. I wish more people would take notice in them, cause the qualities always there.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: gariac

When I was a kid, the nearby taxiway was used as a parking lot during the Edwards AFB air shows. One time, I decided to explore the Gun Butt (I already knew what the "pyramid" was for). I climbed up inside and found it was filled with sand to absorb the impacts of projectiles. I found numerous 20mm and 30mm projectiles, all of them ground down to stubs by the sand.

There is a lot of interesting stuff out there. The Gun Harmonizing Range lies within the boundaries of the old Muroc town site (established in 1910). Just a bit to the north you can see the old X-15 static firing stands (with the rust brown blockhouse - another truncated "pyramid" - in between). The southernmost stand is the one where X-15 (see. no. 56-6672) exploded during a ground run on June 8, 1960. It was rebuilt and flown, something that's hard to imagine happening today.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
BTW, I'm not psychic. I was at an Edwards open house and asked an airman what that was. The explanation was to tune up the guns, which more or less is what they do. I would have rolled my eyes at a new age term like "gun harmonizing."

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 03:17 PM
link   
www.edwards.af.mil...

This is another article on the gun harmonizing range.

The objective of this test effort is to evaluate the ballistic dispersion of the GAU-21 .50 caliber machine gun mounted to the HH-60G via the GAU-21 GM/AHS when operated in the fixed forward fire and fixed side fire modes.

"Ballistic dispersion" sounds so friendly, as does "gun harmonizing" ;-)

edit on 12-1-2016 by gariac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Harmonized guns dispersing ballistics in concert into soft targets.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 07:37 PM
link   

anit that where they tune the A-10 guns. BRRRT BRRRT BRRRT BRRT.

no seriously, i know that they use to take the aircraft out to what we called the bore sight range and test them.
here is a article on the F-35A Gatling gun test at Edwards.

Undertaken at Edwards AFB's Gun Harmonizing Range, the ground testing uses a target practise round, the PGU-23/U, which fires from the gun but does not explode on impact.
USAF’s F-35A Gatling gun undergoes testing

here is the video.

edit on 12-1-2016 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I forgot the guns "sing." I've watched the Capstone then later renamed Firepower demonstrations at Point Bravo. The A-10 sounded more like the audio towards the end of the clip. Much like a belch.

I had an Italian gunship runs the guns on me, fortunately without ammo, while I was at the Cedar Pipeline ranch. As they say, a target of opportunity.

I thought "cooked ammo" was urban folklore
youtu.be...
Don't use this video as a how to in arms handling.

posted on Jan, 12 2016 @ 09:58 PM
link   
With the usefulness of this type of installation to the military, I would have to guess that there are many more of these types of installations near many other bases.

It would be nice if we could have the common indicators that delineated one of these installations from an actual underground entrance.

posted on Jan, 13 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   
www.af.mil...

Same article, different photo.

new topics

top topics

join