It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loss of Christianity induced morality is destroying America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here's a relevant quote, especially the first part.

“One of the great tragedies of mankind is that morality has been hijacked by religion. So now people assume that religion and morality have a necessary connection. But the basis of morality is really very simple and doesn't require religion at all.”

Arthur C Clarke

There's also quite a bit of evidence to show that the least religious countries are the best behaved.

Societies worse off 'when they have God on their side'

RELIGIOUS belief can cause damage to a society, contributing towards high murder rates, abortion, sexual promiscuity and suicide, according to research published today.

According to the study, belief in and worship of God are not only unnecessary for a healthy society but may actually contribute to social problems.

The study counters the view of believers that religion is necessary to provide the moral and ethical foundations of a healthy society.

It compares the social peformance of relatively secular countries, such as Britain, with the US, where the majority believes in a creator rather than the theory of evolution. Many conservative evangelicals in the US consider Darwinism to be a social evil, believing that it inspires atheism and amorality.

Many liberal Christians and believers of other faiths hold that religious belief is socially beneficial, believing that it helps to lower rates of violent crime, murder, suicide, sexual promiscuity and abortion. The benefits of religious belief to a society have been described as its “spiritual capital”. But the study claims that the devotion of many in the US may actually contribute to its ills.

The paper, published in the Journal of Religion and Society, a US academic journal, reports: “Many Americans agree that their churchgoing nation is an exceptional, God-blessed, shining city on the hill that stands as an impressive example for an increasingly sceptical world.

“In general, higher rates of belief in and worship of a creator correlate with higher rates of homicide, juvenile and early adult mortality, STD infection rates, teen pregnancy and abortion in the prosperous democracies.

Link

Article:

Least religious countries

..The survey concluded that "high levels of organic atheism are strongly correlated with high levels of societal health, such as low homicide rates, low poverty rates, low infant mortality rates, and low illiteracy rates, as well as high levels of educational attainment, per capita income, and gender equality. Most nations characterized by high degrees of individual and societal security have the highest rates of organic atheism, and conversely, nations characterized by low degrees of individual and societal security have the lowest rates of organic atheism.

Link

Article:

The 2009 Global Peace Index

The 2009 Global Peace Index has just been released. It's basically a ranking of how turbulent and warlike a country is.

They put it together by assessing 23 criteria, including foreign wars, internal conflicts, respect for human rights, the number of murders, the number of people in jail, the arms trade, and degrees of democracy (Guardian).

You can see a world map of peace at the Vision of Humanity website, and also take a look at country rankings for 2009, as well as earlier years.

Link

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Well said. People have grown up in a sense, accepted differences. That has positively impacted humanity. I wonder though, what will we become once greed and hedonism completely takes over. The line between what is acceptable in society is blurred. Divorce is up. Adultery. Violent crime. Materialism. Rampant consumerism. It will all come crashing down. Not to mention the crazies in the ME that have gone the completely opposite direction.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

This is the dumbest thing I have heard EVER.

Religion in America is the PROBLEM. The more advanced we get as a people the less religion is applicable. Christian values are stupid just like any other religious values.

Its only getting worse because that is all people have known and forced to believe. Eventually once religion is classified as mental disorder and people accept they can live peacefully and in harmony with the world will we then see change.

Religion has damaged everything but only worked when control over our lives was needed.

Now its a blight on humanity. Christains, muslims, jews and the rest are deluded and the cause of all major problems.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

That may be true as they are at least honest with themselves and admit they are not religious. I don't believe this country is either, we talk a big game is all. I can claim to be anything, Joel Osteen and the like have people thinking its Gods will that believers amass great wealth. Sick.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: projectbane

No, what you just said was the dumbest thing ever. Christian values are stupid? Grow up. Yeah, all that charity work and feeding the poor is just ridiculous. Yeah yeah, and believing in honesty is the worst.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   

My religion is myself and my own morals that I have learned to always follow, and to believe in what I want and choose to believe. My religion is knowledge to further my own exploration through life and to become the wisest I was created to be. I do not need to follow one book written by man, but I choose to piece together my own philosophies based on other men, much wiser than those whom were credited as authors of the bible, the same authors who have been edited into oblivion and secrets expunged to get the mass religion of Christinsanity to where it is today. People have the right to believe in what ever they choose to believe. I do not need a preacher to tell me what is right, while at the same time they are thumbing young boys, embezzling money, spreading fear, and committing crimes far beyond my own moral limits. There is no religion that should be forced to follow or even learn about. Mass mainstream religion is mass for the same reason every other mass-anything is typically immoral and unjust. Organized religions are no different than cults, and if you can spot the difference than please inform, cause there is not. Popes and archbishops are worshipped as if they are above other men, this is pure proof that it is a cult, as they are no closer to Jesus than you or I.

link   
When one side of the balance of power fails, the other shall rise to take it's place.

I will never allow my personal choice of religious affiliation to override that which I know in my heart to be true and just and good. I hold a positive moral code that I keep close to my heart and which guides the course of my actions. I don't push my way on anyone, and it saddens me when others fight and bicker over semantics.

The devil is indeed in the details.

The fundamentals of religious teachings do not reside within an inanimate object...those fundamentals reside within the living heart. Too much time spent worshiping the words and not enough time putting the teachings into practice has taken it's toll on many.

Idolatry at it's worst.

Those fundamentals are expressed through our actions towards the well being of our fellow Countrymen and Women, in doing so (or neglecting to do so) we show our true alignment.

Whether it be lifting the impoverished to better ground, or aiding an comforting the sick and helpless. It is about selflessness and doing what is right. For some, we call upon our religious upbringing, for others, it is an innate sense of what is right.

When something is broken, we fix it. When something is wrong, we make it right.

Does it really matter that much what we call ourselves when set upon to the service of others?

Many hear the word Christian and immediately react with anger and disgust because of what casual manipulators have done in name only. What I find sad, is that many of the self-professed "higher minds" that flock to the slaughter of Christianity also tend to preach of how "morality is not inherent to religion", yet they still hunger for the next public flogging, torches in hand.

The weight on a Mans actions should bear more testament than the casual passing of fanciful and colorful words.

It is a trying time for many in a country founded on the principle of unity now falling asunder by the chains of division.

edit on 2/27/15 by GENERAL EYES because: minor edits

link   

Extreme examples from you.

Not caring what happens to my neighbor because it doesn't affect me is common sense.

No it is not common sense. For example, if somebody breaks in your neighbor's houses from time to time and has not been caught then it WILL certainly affect you. You better bet that you WILL care.

But anyway religions have never invented morality and are NOT necessary.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: iDope

That's great. Nothing I said is in conflict with your post.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Would be nice if we could all agree what the good parts are.

Seems like the basic message us be nice to others, which I wish was easier for all of us to get behind

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   

The crime rate has steadily dropped, tech has made life insanely easy, life expectancy has tripled, we ended slavery, free flowing information as never before seen, landed on a comet, instant global communication and global transportation.....

Your right as religion has declined the world has changed!!!

Hilarious... Just hilarious!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I love what you said. I'm with you, just trying to do my best and give what I can. Many have done horrible deeds in the name of Christianity. They were not acting in accordance with Christian ideals any more than ISIS is with Islam.

Thanks for posting.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:09 AM
link   

I may not be that religious but do see that there is a lot of good in many of the religious people in this country. Yes, there are some that are using religion to better themselves and to judge others, but overall it was better before than it becoming now. Like you said, the lines are blurred as to what is good or bad in society. Just because something is legal does not mean it is right, swindling someone is not right even if the law says it is acceptable. The funny thing is even the churches did not try to stop those who were doing wrong from doing it, they actually gained power in the churches.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Does anyone read the OP?

I love science, it makes life so much better.

How are you feeling about our leadership and their integrity? Do you believe our founding fathers were good people? Do you think their faith played a role in that?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Being honest is a good starting point. Most people can't see they are swindling others because we have been conditioned to not see it. I respect someone who is good to others and honest more than I respect someone who is successful and has overcharged others to get that way. I respect a person who works hard to put food on the table for his family and pays the rent and utilities to house his family more than a congressman or stockbroker. I respect the farmer who grows food for others more than a movie star. But then again, I know I am not normal.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I agree to an extent. There are great people who are so regardless of a lack of faith. But, I think that believing in my God gives strength to those that need it, our leaders for example. It served us well once. Im not sure how we are being served by our government now.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I don't think it has anything to do with Religion at all. I think that is a totally false premise used by people who are Religious themselves. I've known Religious people with absolutely horrible morals, just like the hypocrites you speak of. I know non-religious people with fantastic morals too.

It just comes down to the fact that some people have good morals and ethics and stick by them because they are people of integrity while others don't. It has nothing to do with Religion other than Religion might help someone in shaping their morals to some degree but does little in making sure they follow them.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

That's a very fair point. In your opinion then, where do you think this country is headed in the future? Religion will continue to be diminished. How do you envision the human race free of religion? It's interesting to ponder.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:22 AM
link   

That sounds pretty damn normal to me.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Goodnight people, thanks for being fairly civil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join