It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loss of Christianity induced morality is destroying America

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
No, Christianity is killing morality.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Aren't you always demanding some kind of evidence? Yet, you make a statement that is purely speculation based upon your personal opinions. So, you only require evidence when it doesn't agree with your position. Okay, got it.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
a reply to: missypants

Your first post? Nice work.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I do find that interesting. On a side note, the article you linked mentions to prominent atheist speaker Christopher Hitchens (now deceased) if you get a chance there is a youtube video of a debate between him and the apologist William Lane Craig. I enjoyed the debate very much.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: lambs to lions

Aren't you always demanding some kind of evidence? Yet, you make a statement that is purely speculation based upon your personal opinions. So, you only require evidence when it doesn't agree with your position. Okay, got it.

Church attendance and the number of people claiming to be Christians is down in the US and and way down in Western Europe. Christianity has all but had the coffin lid nailed on it it the Scandinavian countries. The very premise of this thread that you started is that Christianity is in the toilet.

The difference is that you want to revive it and I want to put a pillow over its face.
edit on 1-3-2015 by Tangerine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

Thanks for the suggestion. I will watch later with subtitles (I hope there's one since I'm deaf? lol).

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Actually, I'm not sure if there is one, but I know that the transcript is online as well. Have a good night. Peace.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

You too peace my buddy.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

That's cool, I admire your honesty. You despise Christianity, I respect your right to do so. I also hope that you will one day change your mind and open your heart. Until then, I'll see you around on the board. Hopefully, we can discuss other topics that are not so polarizing in the future.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   

That's cool, I admire your honesty. You despise Christianity, I respect your right to do so. I also hope that you will one day change your mind and open your heart. Until then, I'll see you around on the board. Hopefully, we can discuss other topics that are not so polarizing in the future.

A passive lion laying down with a lamb? How interesting. You know the bible never said the lamb was alive you know... maybe it slaughtered so many lambs that it was so full it just lay down with the last one... alive or dead is the extreme what's the middle? Neither actually existed. SO many assumptions in humanity, make the blind leading the blind... very curious to observe.

You know the last time I went to a Thai Buddhist monastery... I gave anyone watching a bit of zen? Yup, I looked around and with much obvious intent. I locked my car doors. (Cleek) I saw no one watching crap himself.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I think the basic tenet of most religion is "be nice to each other and don't kill each other", which is sensible advice and just left at that its great ideology. There are also other basic variances about food types depending on location, lifestyle and diets of certain creatures that formed some fairly good advice given the time/location/climate of the folks practicing their chosen religion.

But... you have to bear in mind that when a lot of the worlds major religions were founded, life was massively different from where we are now.

You also have to bear in mind that the religious texts were written by men, adpated by men, shaped by politics and have been used as a mass control tool to shape the lifes of followers ever since.

So if the OP is simply talking about the basic "be nice to each other and don't kill each other" then yes, the US (and the world) is a poorer place for not following such simple advice.

However, if the OP is referring to applying advice from 2000 years ago that was relevant at the time and has been bastardised many times across that timespan and using that as a yardstick for modern life, then no, I disagree.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Yes, I hope so. Please note that I don't hate most Christians, themselves. I'm not sure I actually hate any. Beautiful lion, by the way. Is he actually melanistic or is the photo color altered?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: neformore

So if the OP is simply talking about the basic "be nice to each other and don't kill each other" then yes, the US (and the world) is a poorer place for not following such simple advice.

However, if the OP is referring to applying advice from 2000 years ago that was relevant at the time and has been bastardised many times across that timespan and using that as a yardstick for modern life, then no, I disagree.

Most or all of us in this discussion would probably agree that the basic "be nice to each other and don't kill each other" stuff is a good idea. However, the Abrahamic religions, in particular, have been used to justify killing others and not due to bastardization of the texts. Reading the Old Testament which, last I checked, is still part of the Christian Bible, is enough to curdle one's blood. I think the major disagreement has been with the OP's contention that morality comes from Christianity. It does not. It comes from people which is not to say that Christianity hasn't adopted some morality from people.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Yes, I hope so. Please note that I don't hate most Christians, themselves. I'm not sure I actually hate any. Beautiful lion, by the way. Is he actually melanistic or is the photo color altered?

So you admitted a general hate but not all of them for being themselves. the brain twisted itself into a correction, thinking well maybe I dont hate any at all, paid a compliment. Did you just convert or something?

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 04:47 AM
link   

When aren't humans using and excuse instead of looking at themselves and taking responsibility for what they are doing, not only by group... yah too lazy to hate individually... hey you christian? derpa derpa! Wanna hate something worthwhile? Hate the hate within oneself. See it's root, know it's cause... it was from an action someone using a label as and excuse or justification for their action that made you hate wasn't it? Once you see it was the action that you hate, you can see it was really a motivation out of ignorance that made you hate the person that caused them to do what they did, ignorance is not bliss when you know better. It's an excuse, and any justification for wrong to be twisted into right is a scape goat for responsibility like you did in your previous reply... stating the hate you felt then twisting it to a positive and ending with a compliment, then come back for more.

Not attacking you or trying to provoke you just show you all the karma of your words that are infecting your consciousness that is not bring it nor anyone else peace.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

How is morality common sense? Self serving and hoarding of wealth and resources is common sense. Not caring what happens to my neighbor because it doesn't affect me is common sense. How is that moral?

Actually, a sense of morality is common sense. Which is why even before we created God/Allah we knew what was wrong and what was right. The fact that we are all still alive and haven't caused our own extinction (yet!) is a testament to how deeply ingrained that moral compass is.

Humans evolved as a species which lived in groups, usually consisting of several families. For a species to survive as a group, a moral compass is not only necessary but vital to ensure all members of the group get enough to eat, grow and pass on their genes. Without a deeply ingrained sense of what is right and what is wrong, the early groups of humans would have eventually been reduced to a handful of small, close knit families who eventually died out because they didn't have the protection of their comrades.

As has been said, religion does not hold the monopoly on what is right and wrong. And I wonder, is it actually moral to do good by your neighbours simply because you're scared the boss is watching? It's not altruistic. It's not charitable. It's just you watching your own back.
And that is exactly why we're in the mess we're in now. People haven't been told "do good because it's right." They've been told "do good because if you don't you'll be punished." We're teaching fear, not morality.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

the vatican wants to talk to you about wealth hoarding.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I do find that interesting. On a side note, the article you linked mentions to prominent atheist speaker Christopher Hitchens (now deceased) if you get a chance there is a youtube video of a debate between him and the apologist William Lane Craig. I enjoyed the debate very much.

Christopher Hitchens was visible ill during that debate. He was distracted, sweaty and pasty. He didn't have the energy to sufficiently address William Lane Craig's intellectual dishonest assertion of his opinion that the God of the Bible is the Prime Force of Creation of the Universe and that his God is 100% "GOOD", as a factual bases for the debate that was actually entitled "Does God Exist?", not "Is God Good?".

His assertion that God is only "GOOD" is belied in Genesis 3, where God declares that "mankind has become like us, knowing good and evil. Then we get to see the "EVIL" side of this God throughout the Old Testament. Craig asserts that everything this God does is GOOD, even if it appears to be evil to us.

Craig's own argument undermines his case for "Objective Morality" with this logic, because if God does something that appears to evil, and his scripture forbids such behavior, then a double standard is revealed, and a double moral standard is anything but "Objective Morality".

edit on 1-3-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

Nothing more could be said to prove the point of the OP than your post.

I'm not really accusing nor blaming you whatsoever. Your a product of this environment.

YOU SEE NOTHING WRONG!

33? Just starting .
Envision, if you will, what you have learned in your 33 years. Now add 30 more, sans the hormonal issues, and you may glean the potential as yet unrealized that you possess. Rather than listening and perhaps learning from those that have 'been there, done that AND have the T-shirt', you scoff.

As far as data? Yes, much more available to 'learn'. As far as what is prioritized, it's off the rails. An amazing number of our high school graduates can't even read. Never mind conjugate. Now common core. It transcends stupidity and borders on sabotage.

Basic personal morals has been subverted into 'social morals'. Based on subjective-and manipulated-concepts as 'fair', 'equality' and 'justice'. It's a lot tougher to mess with don't steal, don't lie, don't murder, respect of parents and the like.

I know you don't see it. I get you think we're full of s***t.

I humbly suggest to you to sit down some afternoon at a park bench and visit with some old man/lady and visit with them. Listen to them.

There is a world of wisdom out there that is empirically learned. Outside the classroom. Absorb some of those pearls and you will begin to shed some of the garbage you have been taught that up to now went unrecognized.

Religion is a personal understanding to be used or ignored as you choose.

The Judeo-Christian moral code, however, albeit, flawed and even contradictory, prima facie, has as it's legacy, western civilization. Even the Constitution and the Bill of Rights has, as a foundation, the good will of the people via that basic code.

No need to spew back all the things 'wrong' with it or the U.S. or whatever. We've heard them all and understand them.

We may even agree...to an extent.

What should give you pause is the fact that despite every valid point raised pointing out those flaws, nothing has come close to matching their achievements as reflected by the continued support given by us!!

Such is the value we give it. We aren't idiots. Neither are you.....

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join