It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loss of Christianity induced morality is destroying America

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: rupertg

Funny, I think the same about atheists who so vehemently denounce it as though they have some understanding of it. Other than regurgitated so called knowledge from their army of Hollywood Gervaisian heroes.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

I have one simple identifying fact for all.
The more secular the people of this nation have siezed the
opportunity to become. The worse things have gotten for them.
One can draw many comparisons that suggest this wrong.
But it simply isn't. And I fear that soon it will be undeniable.
Yes, I said I fear that.

SnF bigtime.
edit on Rpm22815v48201500000047 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Actually more atheists DO read and understand the Bible than Christians. Why do some leave Christianity? Think about it.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

Many abandon their faith because when something bad happens they blame God. I don't see how an atheists could or would claim to read the bible. If the material is so laughable, why spend precious time reading it? Atheists sure do expend a lot of energy on something they make fun of. But then again, you see it even in this thread. Agitated members, frustratingly trying to drive a nail into the coffin of a believer. However, they don't claim to have a belief, but rather a lack of belief. But, their actions betray their mouths. They are being enlisted in the enemies forces and don't even know it. Not that I believe them to be evil, just ignorant of the truth. Peace.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

(RNS) More than half of Americans think the Bible has too little influence on a culture they see in moral decline, yet only one in five Americans read the Bible on a regular basis, according to a new survey.

More than three-quarters of Americans (77 percent) think the nation’s morality is headed downhill, according to a new survey from American Bible Society.

The survey showed the Bible is still firmly rooted in American soil: 88 percent of respondents said they own a Bible, 80 percent think the Bible is sacred, 61 percent wish they read the Bible more, and the average household has 4.4 Bibles.

If the Bible is so commonplace in America, wouldn’t its moral teachings counteract the downward trend?

Linky
edit on 2/28/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

The more secular the people of this nation have siezed the
opportunity to become. The worse things have gotten for them.

When I threw off the shackles of Christianity, that's when my life got better. 40 years later, I've never been happier

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   

So the majority says they believe the nation's morality is headed downhill. The majority also believes the bible is sacred but admit that they don't spend necessary time reading it....thanks for making my point.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

No it counters your point. If people don't read it ever then how, as you claimed, the morality goes downhill?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Fantastic, but what is 40 years when measured against an eternity? Tell me more about the shackles that were holding you down. Was it really Christianity that was holding you down? Or, was it some ignorant people that you associated with Christianity as a whole? It seems misrepresentation of the Christian faith has turned a lot of people away.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Huh? My entire OP is based on my belief that lack of Christian values has caused a lack of morality in America. Then you post material that references the fact that the majority of America:

1)Thinks morality in America is in the toilet

2)Thinks that they don't read the bible enough

Cause: Bible (Christian Values) is not read enough. Effect: Morality in America is in the toilet.

Like I said, you made my point.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

LOL you are not understanding. The article is not saying that they STOPPED reading the Bible. It has always been that way. Understand? Most people generations and generations have not read the Bible much. YOU claimed that the morality is STARTING to decline.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

If the Bible is so commonplace in America, wouldn’t its moral teachings counteract the downward trend?

Not if it is not being read.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Correct. Which it has always been. Why hasn't morality decline back then?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

That is my point Alien, bibles are everywhere but they aren't being used like they should be. Furthermore, a bible means nothing if the reader doesn't follow and take to heart the teachings within it. I think that in the last several decades the country has taken a sharp moral decline. However, my OP was specifically targeting governmental leadership whose backhanded deals with corporations for their own greed is killing this nation. It is those who we need to be honest and forthright that lack the integrity or conviction to lead us.

I see what you are saying and understand what you are getting at. Instead of just owning and reading a bible, Christians need to practice what they preach more....and judge less.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Yeah I understand what you are trying to say. What I was trying to say that for a long time Christians have not read the Bible much. If that is true, why hasn't the morality started to decline way back then? That was my point.

I can attest to that fact. I grew up in a strict Christian home. My father was a pastor. I've been a pastor for a while. One thing that is universal amongst Christians is that they do not read the Bible much, if at all, since at least 40-50 years.

But yeah things do seem to get worse but I disagree that it has to do with the "decline of Christian values". People still do not need any religion for morality.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

I'll agree that they don't NEED religion for morality. But what do they turn to when they find themselves in the dark? Maybe they realize they are like Daniel in the lion's den, or maybe they realize they are losing their way and need a lifeline? That is when the Christian can turn to God, can lean on teachings for strength.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Do we really need to start getting into all the condoned atrocities by Jesus's 'father'? The most petty, jealous, childish, sadistic, vindictive deity I can think of, that guy(that's right, he's male so that means he's got a penis, that's a rabbit hole and a half all in itself).

Christianity is a milestone in human evolution, as were many other philosophies. And I do believe that the ideas of selflessness, forgiveness, sacrifice and the golden rule are all amazing concepts, but they are not exclusive to Christianity. Even if they were at a time, they are not anymore, and that's called evolution. As we evolve, paradigms are constantly shifting. Once you've got it all figured out, found the meaning of life, discovered the purpose of the universe, you've stopped evolving. To attempt to quantify the vast amounts of information in the cosmos in one book, especially an archaic, 2000+ year old one chock full of inconsistencies and fiction, albeit with some moments of beauty as well, but clearly written by fallible man and not divinely inspired, is a huge mistake.

I'm not sure what it is about humans that they need to have it all figured out, but it seems wired into us. I think that wiring is what will one day give us unimaginable understanding of the software we're programmed into. I'm guilty of this too, but I'm constantly putting myself in check when I see my ego taking over, and when I realize that there is no way I could possibly comprehend the meaning of life. Christians don't have that opportunity.

Jesus was beautiful, his message was priceless, but he was not the son of god and he didn't rise from the dead. At that point you just need to say, "Hey, I'm lying to myself so I can sleep at night. Maybe I should be strong and accept the reality(which is just as fascinating) that I don't know exactly why I'm here, and it's hard that way, but much better than using a false crutch to get through the human experience."

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: lambs to lions
a reply to: rupertg

Funny, I think the same about atheists who so vehemently denounce it as though they have some understanding of it. Other than regurgitated so called knowledge from their army of Hollywood Gervaisian heroes.

Most atheists are atheists because they were Christians and actually read the Bible.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Huh? My entire OP is based on my belief that lack of Christian values has caused a lack of morality in America. Then you post material that references the fact that the majority of America:

1)Thinks morality in America is in the toilet

2)Thinks that they don't read the bible enough

Cause: Bible (Christian Values) is not read enough. Effect: Morality in America is in the toilet.

Like I said, you made my point.

You really don't understand what a direct correlation is. The fact that most of the people in prison consumed milk within 24 hours of committing their crime does not prove that there is a direct correlation between milk consumption and crime.

posted on Mar, 1 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   

Not if it is not being read.

It's not going to be read. Christianity is in its death throes. Dig a hole for it.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join