It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loss of Christianity induced morality is destroying America

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Sigh, different generations, I guess.

...Said every generation since the dawn of man.......

I'm old, and I find young people that are kind and helpful all the time.

PS: Most of them are atheists.

edit on 28-2-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

I'm agnostic with atheist leanings, so this is not being said with a Christian agenda. But how do you know the faith or lack thereof of people randomly helping you?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I think it more or less how the Christian Morals have lost their touch to a sense of purpose or way of life. It often presented with and interpreted with fear and is used more like a political fashion statement where it became a pecking order .

Don't get me wrong though, Christianity at it heart is humble, but frail and arrogant over nothing. Then again, it is originally based of a guy, who followed his own peoples way of life, which was mainly based of highly respected guy named Abraham who wanted to sacrifice his son because God said so, then an angel came and said don't do it you idiot.

Then there was King Solomon, who wanted to slice a baby in half since both women fought over whose the mother, so he couldn't make up his mind...

Anybody noticing reverse psychology here, or am I just Loco?

Don't feel to bad, the Muslum haven't made up there mind about anything these days.
edit on 28-2-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

But how do you know the faith or lack thereof of people randomly helping you?

Ah, because most of my angel helpfuls are from the circle that associate with my daughter's students. She's a university professor, a scientist that specializes in genetic engineering, mostly from fetal tissues. Hardly any Christians in that field, although there are a few in my daughter's lab.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

"A Moral Sense". Sounds good, yet, as the OP describes, apparently not particularly effective in it's results.

Additionally, leaving it solely to the individual, without the guidance and the sharing of life experiences by a parent or mentor, is also not very effective.

Off the top, I'd say your description would work as a supplement or alternative means. Not a replacement, however.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: lambs to lions
a reply to: th3dudeabides

How is Christianity about control? From my perspective it's about freedom to make choices. The right choices can lead to a fulfilled life. No one is forcing me or controlling me. I found my faith through several years of asking many questions, I haven't been brainwashed or indoctrinated...nor am I a member of a Christian church.

Oh MY lord....YOU are truly just talking nonsense. Mass religion is all about control. You found faith? That is good for YOU but that is because like religion you don't ask the right questions and definitely like religion do NOT like questions being asked of your cult.
Questions seem to be like a disease to religion, seeing as to follow any of the mass religions you have to be an idiot who does not question the teachings, the ideology, and the history of its made up practice.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   
It's true. If i had a graph chart I could show you the direct correlation between religious decline and increased immorality. Religion (most that is)provides a standard to live by, the very structure of society is held in place by the discipline given through religion. A deterrent to crimes against each other needs to be more than a possible stay in jail,a lot of people will take that chance for the payoff. we need religion to instill right from wrong in people so they respect others and religion does that.Whatever your opinion of religion,without it man will digress as a species and revert back to animal like behavior, losing the civility that separates us from the animal kingdom.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: fartsmeller46

It's true. If i had a graph chart I could show you the direct correlation between religious decline and increased immorality.

Yeah? I'd like to see that chart! Why do you suppose there exists so much pedophilia among clergy?

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: fartsmeller46

If i had a graph chart I could show you the direct correlation between religious decline and increased immorality.

I guess you would have to define immorality first (premarital sex? masturbation? gasp!).
Then go about quantifying it somehow.

edit on 2/28/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Logic, Reasoning, Empathy, Compassion, Acceptance of Others, and Inclusiveness leads to morality, as does being raised in an environment that promotes these qualities, as to does one's personal nature.

Logic, Reasoning, Sociopathy, Selfishness, Non-acceptance of Others, and Exclusiveness leads to immorality, as does being raised in an environment that promotes these qualities, as does one's personal nature.

It's really this simple. I'm not convinced the Christian religion only encompasses the qualities of the first category. It seems to me that's been used quite successfully to promote both categories.

Oh and one more thing, stagnation of thought only enforces the status quot as it negates the ability to improve in either category. That's the biggest advantage and hindrance of religion. Strictly following religion creates moral stagnation. Religion is narrowly defined and rarely changes, it is instead merely interpreted. What this means is that it may hinder things getting worse, but likewise it also works against things getting any better. Religion attempts to neuter reasoning and replace it with doctrine.
edit on PMSat, 28 Feb 2015 16:27:51 -060028America/Chicago2092015Saturdayf by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

edit on PMSat, 28 Feb 2015 16:28:49 -060028America/Chicago2092015Saturdayf by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker
a reply to: Entreri06

I'm not referring to 'deductable' contributions. I'm talking volunteer work. Neighbor to neighbor. The man helping the lady with her grocery bags. The 'Boy Scout' assisting an elderly gentleman. Stopping to help a broke down motorist. so on.

Things that one doesn't need to 'google'. One sees it on a daily basis...or not. Sigh, different generations, I guess.

When was this mystery time?

It's the good ole days myth that every generation does. Just like the kids of every generation usless to there preceding generation.

There is no time period you can name where the same Christian values your sporting were twisted by the same people your imagining had it better.

The violent crime rate has only dropped.
By every measure imaginable the human race has only gotten better.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: fartsmeller46
It's true. If i had a graph chart I could show you the direct correlation between religious decline and increased immorality. Religion (most that is)provides a standard to live by, the very structure of society is held in place by the discipline given through religion. A deterrent to crimes against each other needs to be more than a possible stay in jail,a lot of people will take that chance for the payoff. we need religion to instill right from wrong in people so they respect others and religion does that.Whatever your opinion of religion,without it man will digress as a species and revert back to animal like behavior, losing the civility that separates us from the animal kingdom.

Direct correlation? No you couldn't. Apparently you don't know the difference between an indirect and direct correlation. A chart would NOT indicate a direct correlation. That has to be statistically proven via a study.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
i dont think its religion or governement destroying america, but rather the reactions stemming from the conflict of beliefs. Reactions include mockery, fights, or worse. Here is a quote i like from a song.

Skinny Puppy - Village Lyrics

"All sides rape and pillage tripping in the village
Collapse collapse
All sides pay the lie cause it's happening now
Relax"

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

You must be young. LOL.

Numerous international improvements, I would agree.

U.S.? You must be joking. Whole cities verging on bankruptcy. States not far behind. Highest percentile of citizens incarcerated....ever.

Education levels lowest....ever. A Federal gov't bankrupt by every definition invented by man, both financially AND morally.

An economy propped up by 600 Billion in deficit spending which neither party is willing to address. Jobs exported, cheap labor imported. A shrinking to near non-existent middle class.

Your norm. My 'after' with a before and after comparison. Wake up, son. Your 'imaginable' is myopic....

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Reply to Entreri06

How do you define better?

Adultery is rampant. Divorce is through the roof. Greed is celebrated and admired, just look at the millions foaming at the mouth over celebrities. Drug use, excluding marijuana, is a national epidemic (pills). Dishonesty is expected, no one trusts anyone because it's obvious most people are out for themselves. Sexual perversion is everywhere and our children idolize poor role models such as Rihanna and the like. How about underage drinking? How about consumerism? Materialism? Vanity? I could go on. The only thing that is getting better is the acceptance of others. Unless you are a Christian that is. Just because someone has a persecution complex doesn't mean they aren't persecuted.

edit on 28-2-2015 by lambs to lions because: Add

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Reply to Entreri06

Adultery is rampant. Divorce is through the roof. Greed is celebrated and admired, just look at the millions foaming at the mouth over celebrities. Drug use, excluding marijuana, is a national epidemic (pills). Dishonesty is expected, no one trusts anyone because it's obvious most people are out for themselves. Sexual perversion is everywhere and our children idolize poor role models such as Rihanna and the like. How about underage drinking? How about consumerism? Materialism? Vanity? I could go on. The only thing that is getting better is the acceptance of others. Unless you are a Christian that is. Just because someone has a persecution complex doesn't mean they aren't persecuted.

how about the human animal, self doubt, depression, deception, self deception, absence of truth/reality/nature,
then there is corporate advertising methods/television brainwashing using tones and hypnotic suggestion, blackmail, ignorance, selfishness, assuming God said this or that to defend incorrect belief structures. using law to oppress the masses, instigation of war or riot via media..on and on and on..

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

You must be young. LOL.

Numerous international improvements, I would agree.

U.S.? You must be joking. Whole cities verging on bankruptcy. States not far behind. Highest percentile of citizens incarcerated....ever.

Education levels lowest....ever. A Federal gov't bankrupt by every definition invented by man, both financially AND morally.

An economy propped up by 600 Billion in deficit spending which neither party is willing to address. Jobs exported, cheap labor imported. A shrinking to near non-existent middle class.

Your norm. My 'after' with a before and after comparison. Wake up, son. Your 'imaginable' is myopic....

I'm 33, the education system isn't worse. There is far more information taught today because we know more today. Then add in all the religious garbage previous generations were force fed. When were these golden times? What years? 92 to 94? By any measuring stick we have improved over the decades. Sure you could show how we did better in December then in April, but that's not a fair satistic is it? You can't say the schools of the 60s and before were better. Most of the information they were teaching was wrong lol. Plus all the blatant racism and hate that filled most sectors of life. Plus

Cities in bankruptcy?!? The Great Depression much!!

An economy of debt and lower wages, but a far more comfortable life and about a 30 year increase in life expectancy.

We may not be as tough as our forefathers but we are far better people with far longer and safer lives.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: sanitizedinfo

Reply to Entreri06

how about the human animal, self doubt, depression, deception, self deception, absence of truth/reality/nature,
then there is corporate advertising methods/television brainwashing using tones and hypnotic suggestion, blackmail, ignorance, selfishness, assuming God said this or that to defend incorrect belief structures. using law to oppress the masses, instigation of war or riot via media..on and on and on..

There has just been no time in human history we haven't been worse at everything you listed.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I've always wondered how many "Christians" there are who either don't really understand what Christianity really is or understand it but just give it lip service without really thinking about it. "Sure, I believe that Jesus is the Son of God, but please don't ask me to define what all that means."

My father was a Catholic Christian, but toward the end of his life, after experiencing and understanding how complex life and those ideas actually are, he mostly gave up on it. He continued to believe that people should treat each other without cruelty, but that is by no means an exclusively Christian concept.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
H ere is one of my favorite quotes:

To most Christians, the Bible is like a software license. Nobody actually reads it.
They just scroll to the bottom and click "I agree."

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join