It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Loss of Christianity induced morality is destroying America

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+42 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The further we've gotten from the religion induced morality of our founding fathers, the worse off our government and nation have become. Even though many of them were deists, they still lived by principles that they were willing to die for. Those principles came from the belief in a supreme being and a belief in an ultimate moral accountability. There were actually politicians that were good people in those days.

However, these days religion is losing the battle in the hearts and minds of our citizens. Sure, many claim to be religious, but show me 10 who claimed to be Christians and I'll show you 9 hypocritical imposters.

I do believe in a separation of church and state. I believe in gay rights, I believe in abortion in some cases, I support legal immigration, and I'm a gun owner that supports the right to bear arms and I don't care if they are practical firearms or not.

My point isn't that religion should be forced upon the nation through government. My point, is that with the degration of religion and those that truly had courage of conviction, the country has lost it's way.

True, we don't need radicals and extremists burning 'witches' and certainly don't need a superiority complex used as an excuse for racial or sexual discrimination. However, we sure could use some real men and women that believe in the golden rule and who keep the Ten Commandments.

I'm sure there will be snarky responses that point out how backwards and ignorant the religious are. I'm fully aware of the many wonderful benefits of a scientific mind as well...

We have lost the moral high ground in this country because we have lost morality. Most leaders are fake and don't live by any sort of honor code. The ones claiming to he religious are only doing so to appease conservative voters. You can tell me how religion is the worst thing ever (I agree radicals are) but it's becoming obvious what the impact of a lack of Christian ideals is doing in this country.

Finally, some of you will say you don't need to believe in God to be moral. In theory you would be right. But, it's not working out so far, and it's only getting worse.

***im on my iphone, I apologize for grammatical mistakes I may have missed

+24 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Its now really illegal to beat up your wife, and rape kids, oh the good old days.

+36 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Why do you need religion to have morals?

Just curious as to your answer.

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: dukeofjive696969

That's a silly response. Are you suggesting that somehow Christian ideals support child abuse and rape? It is those that falsly "claim" to be religious that act in that manner. Thus, connecting the idea that the religious are all hypocritical. The reality is that today most religious are full of $&@!. That's my point, there is no true blue keepers of moral principle.

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: lambs to lions

True, we don't need radicals and extremists burning 'witches' and certainly don't need a superiority complex used as an excuse for racial or sexual discrimination. However, we sure could use some real men and women that believe in the golden rule and who keep the Ten Commandments.

Finally, some of you will say you don't need to believe in God to be moral. In theory you would be right. But, it's not working out so far, and it's only getting worse.

I won't belabor the point that you glossed-over: the founders created a secular government.

Keep the Ten Commandments? What's the first of the Ten Commandments? You want a theocracy. Ask people who have lived under one how great it is.

This country (the US) is in trouble. I'll agree with that. But it's not because of a lack of religious nuts or, as I'm sure you'd prefer to characterize them, believers. How do you explain the happiness and well-being of people in the Scandinavian countries where religion is minimal?

link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

You don't. I know some great people who are not religious. But, I think that overall, the belief in a higher power who demands morality was a great thing for those in this country with the power over the populous. Power corrupts, and greed has eaten up many. I think a strong belief system helps to keep men on the straight and narrow. Many of out founding fathers made human mistakes, but many of those men were also men if conviction and that is what made this country great.

+25 more 
link   
a reply to: lambs to lions

I think the basis for your argument is very weak.

Have you forgotten the carnage that accompanied the founding of the U.S? The civil war and the Indian wars slaughtered millions upon millions of people. The wild west era was a time of total corruption and justice down the barrel of a gun. Yes, what about the slavery of black people, too?

I would argue that the U.S, at home at least, is far less brutal and savage as a nation than it used to be.

You want it to be so that without Christianity there is no "moral" hope and behaviour is slipping and sliding because Christianity is waning in popularity. The facts don't support your argument.

There are many ways to encourage morality in human beings; religion is just one of those. A proper and diverse education I would suggest is better capable of encouraging civility in people than religion perhaps? Religion appears to segregate people into camps and create climates of extremism. Christianity, Islam and Judaism have all fathered very extreme and brutal acts in the past and in the present.

+13 more 
link   

a reply to: dukeofjive696969

That's a silly response. Are you suggesting that somehow Christian ideals support child abuse and rape? It is those that falsly "claim" to be religious that act in that manner. Thus, connecting the idea that the religious are all hypocritical. The reality is that today most religious are full of $&@!. That's my point, there is no true blue keepers of moral principle.

Name a theocracy where women and children have been well-treated.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

a reply to: liejunkie01

You don't. I know some great people who are not religious. But, I think that overall, the belief in a higher power who demands morality was a great thing for those in this country with the power over the populous. Power corrupts, and greed has eaten up many. I think a strong belief system helps to keep men on the straight and narrow. Many of out founding fathers made human mistakes, but many of those men were also men if conviction and that is what made this country great.

Is making a country great to only have one major religion as the theocratic government of a state; that all others be confined to minority status with no political or social empowerment?
edit on 26-2-2015 by lonesomerimbaud because: clumsy sentence.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

You are right, they did create a secular government and rightly so. I'm simply stating that I believe their personal beliefs were important in that the kind of men they were was of huge importance. As for the Scandanavian countries? I don't know enough to speak on them. Perhaps the sheer size and scope of the power in the US has a lot to do with it

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

No, whether it be Christianity or any other benevolent religion or philosophy. I think the lack of those ideals and true personal conviction is killing this country.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

you are dead on!
I salute you! and give you these

Star and flag also
edit on 26-2-2015 by 5StarOracle because: Add

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
remove this post please
edit on 26-2-2015 by 5StarOracle because: ...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Geez, once again I'm not talking about a theocracy. I'm talking about a country founded by men with integrity, who many happened to believe in a supreme being.
Now, immorality had run rampant in our government to the point where no man can be trusted. I think there is a correlation between this and a lack of true religion.

It could be any religion, or set of ideals. Men these days don't seem to live by any code except 'do as thou wilt'

edit on 26-2-2015 by lambs to lions because: Add

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:42 PM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

I will admit you made good points, I did consider the atrocities committed during the colonization of America. Those were not inherently caused because of religious beliefs, as much as cold and brutal ignorance.

However, it has been good for mankind to evolve and show compassion for the different walks of life. Now, if only we could couple this modern level of intelligence with strong ethics.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   

I doubt that the lack of integrity/morality in politicians is related to their religiousness.

Depending on how you'd measure the morality of a people (crimerate, social cohesion?) one could even argue that less religious nations than the U.S. are more morally strengthened.
*duck*

If your proposition WAS true...
A Government adhering to the 10 christian commandments ?
So no killing, and no stealing from the people to finance all the killing?
I'm in.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

You do realize that morality has nothing to do with religion? Right?

Morality is simple common sense.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   
The way this country was taken over was far from moral. Have you read any of the dirty stuff they got up to?

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I agree with the OP on this one. If we would have kept promoting the good parts of Christianity and weeded out the ones doing the deceiving and the power hungry people in the churches, our country would be a lot better off than it is right now.

I can see the writing on the wall. You actually do not need to be religious to follow a truthful and honest path. But religion is better than what it is turning out today, deceit has gone wild. Most of our government runs on deceit and twisting numbers to make things look better than they actually are..

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

How is morality common sense? Self serving and hoarding of wealth and resources is common sense. Not caring what happens to my neighbor because it doesn't affect me is common sense. How is that moral?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join