It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop Starring Members Just for Posting!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I gave you a star and flag for the OP. I just had to do it because you said not to.

I think that is what the op wants and knows that people will flag and star this post. Just a way for the op to get more....

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: daaskapital
My...precious...

OMG !

I think I just pee'd myself a little from laughing so hard !

Absolute brilliance !

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:34 AM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I'd give you more stars if I could

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:42 AM
link   
OOOHHHH Shiny!!! Starred you

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Yet you have gotten stars for ranting about people who give stars. I'd give you a star for ranting about people who give out stars like free hugs, but in the process I'd contradict myself by giving you a star because you ranted about...now I'm confused so I'm gonna give you a star anyway

I give stars to well written or thought provoking statements like many other members would, and everyone else is free to issue them to whomever they wish.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I still think ATS should allow you to see who stars what, by hovering the curser over the star...

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I thought the star thingy was like some interactive fun idea. You know, like whack-a-mole? Oops!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This has got to be the best thread for getting stars that I have seen yet. Everyone is getting stars.

Oops, I had to give the post above this a star just so my post wouldn't be a lie.
edit on 27-2-2015 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse
I'll try and get you more stars if you tell me what your avatar is...

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Looks like a sloth to me, star me!!!

@Rickymouse: I of course returned the favour.

edit on 27-2-2015 by Jonjonj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012
I still think ATS should allow you to see who stars what, by hovering the curser over the star...

In the political forums you don't need confirmation to know who starred their posts. THAT is the point of the OP.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Oh no!

Because this is my own thread, do I go against my very train of thought?

Without a member's response, what little thread do I have?

Do I star them for simply breathing life into my creation?

So perplexed...

If someone takes the time to participate in an OP I started or responds to something I've written in a thoughtful way, even if they disagree with me, I will give them a star. To me a star represents an acknowledgement of others opinions, again, even if they are different from my own.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Stars? What stars, never noticed them my whole 7 yrs here.lol

Peace.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
While I appreciate everybody's advice about how I should view and use the star system, I will ultimately take sides with everybody else and use them as I see fit. This thread was only directed towards members who star posts before even reading them.

A rude or distasteful post can accumulate stars simply by the view count of the members I speak about. It gives false affirmation and may reinforce bad behavior from a member if they think there post habits are becoming popular.

I admit, I am putting more thought than is necessary into this, but the topic to me was a good way to increase my rant quota. Until next time...

Thanks for all the replies everybody! The Gollum picture was hilarious!

STARS FOR EVERYBODY!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Stars are utterly meaningless on ATS, other than to see what posts people like.
There was a glitch some time which meant people registered before a certain date ended up with like 2 million or 5 million stars... it's crazy.

They just just wipe the whole lot and start again

If they were used solely for letting people know you appreciate their post and their view, then that's fine, but it's not.
You get people just starring the poster rather than the post and you get gangs and cliques.

It's a floored system but it's what we have have and owners don't seem to care so meh, don't worry about it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: superman2012

Here is a picture of it before I took out the stranded clay plug. I found this in my yard, tossed aside when I backfilled the basement. files.abovetopsecret.com... Notice the little scratches where they were grinding what looks like a foot.

The hole is similar to the hole in a soup bone found in the front upper leg of a cow, but it is much bigger of an animal. I still need to find a butcher who cuts up buffalo to see if it is a bigger bone than that. It is rock now, either permineralized or fossilized and I do not know if it was already rock before they carved it. After washing it thoroughly it has a patina, I put a little vegetable oil on it so it won't oxidize more.

I have no clue who made it or when, It came out of the pile that the bulldozer had made, it was probably in the top three feet of soil.

Other than that, I just made a handle the old fashioned way, using an axe to chip and shape it. There are many interpretations as to what the person who made it was trying to carve, some see a bunny, others an indian head with braided hair, others a puppy. Someone here said it looked like a camel's head, I actually see that too. Only the creator really knows what it is. I learned from this why art is valuable after the artist die, that way people's interpretations of the art can't be contested, so they will pay more for it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis

A rude or distasteful post can accumulate stars simply by the view count of the members I speak about. It gives false affirmation and may reinforce bad behavior from a member if they think there post habits are becoming popular.

In particular,
I do agree but believe it stems from member popularity rather than what is being said. Not always but more commonly.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Maybe the wrong thread but finally I know how you attached this stone to the wood ^^.
Some years ago, before you cropped the picture I was asking this to myself. Back then I think the house and the garage was on the picture, no? A red pickup or something? Don´t know why I remember this.

edit on 27-2-2015 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I think if you post something, you've earned a star.
I also flag every thread I go into, whether I read it or not (like say I accidentally click on a thread I have no interest in, I'll flag it before hitting the back button)
It makes people feel good to see their S&F count go up; & it makes me feel good to make them feel good.

I'm sure this will absolutely offend many peoples sensibilities, for whatever reason.

originally posted by: TrueBrit

If people were to star me, just for posting, that would skew my ability to rate the usefulness of my contributions no end.

I don't need a high star count to know that my contributions provide no end of usefulness

edit on 27-2-2015 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

Speaking of threads made for the sole purpose of getting more stars...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

& my thread on OCD covering this same topic, in a way, haha
www.abovetopsecret.com...
You know you have OCD when...

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
You can't not give every single post a star, every time you go to/refresh a page.

Has anyone else noticed that you can give a post as many stars as you want by revisiting the page? Because I notice...& it's like being trapped in a mime box.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Awesome! Now I don't have to pause every time I see your avatar and wonder... Stone Sloth? Nah, not in Northern Michigan, or anywhere that I know of. Chupacabra? Maybe. Lonely rock hugging a fence post? Hmmm, I don't think rocks hug. What in heck is it?

Well, now I know!

P.S. Cheers from a troll (I'm in lower Michigan)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join