It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Cuba Describes US With Large Sign Including Swastika and Prison Abuse Photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In response to a US diplomat's refusal to take down Christmas decorations, Cuba has erected overnight a large sign that includes a nazi swastika and large, blown-up photographs of Americans abusing prisoners in Iraq. The sign sits prominently on the Malecon, a Havana coastal highway, facing the US Interests Section offices. The sign also includes the word "fascist" covered with a "Made in the USA" stamp.

story.news.yahoo.com
(AP) HAVANA - There was no immediate response from American diplomats in Havana.

The U.S. Interest Section, headed by chief James Cason, ignored a demand earlier this week to remove Christmas decorations that included a reference to dissidents jailed by Fidel Castro's government.

The trimmings included a Santa Claus, candy canes and white lights wrapped around palm trees and a sign reading "75" a reference to 75 Cuban dissidents jailed last year.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Gee, maybe Cuba is finally learning to embody the right of freedom of expression...Haha. Instead of sending out a lynch mob to take out Cason's Christmas decorations, they just put up a sign- right in front of the US Interests Section in Havana- one that I'm sure will be regarded as highly offensive to the US diplomats and others that work there. While Cason's sign only referenced detainees, and did not call the Cuban government any specific names, Cuba's version seems to definately up the reterick, implying that America is fascist.

Related News Links:
www.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
POLITICS: Castro's Cuba: Is The End Near?

[edit on 17-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ah, Payback.

I must admit the US using such a message as a Christmas display is a little strange and dare I suggest a little twisted. I think Cuba's response is preferable to sending out a lynch mob as you put it TrueAmerican, but it is just as strange and twisted. There had to be a response and here we have it.

If I am honest I think both sides have been petty. Still, you reap what you sow and all that.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Tit for Tat

Fidel may be a dummy tyrant but he's not stupid

[edit on 17-12-2004 by dgtempe]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well I guess democracy and freedom of speech is finally getting into the hart of Castro after all, I wonder if the people has the same rights also.

I guess if you try hard enough it will work eventually.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Tit for Tat

Cubans may be dumb but they're not stupid.

DG, you being from the Island you should remember that everything done to demonstrate againts the US or when Fidel is making a speech etc, is all an act....paid and done by the government....do you remember what happens to people that did not want to go to the speeches of Fidel Castro when told by their bosses they had to go? How long would they keep their jobs if they didn't go?... Do you remember being "rounded up from school" to go to these speeches?......

You are Cuban for crying outloud woman..... you can't tell me you believe something like this is done by the regular Cuban people....

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Hello, did i say it was done by the Cuban people??? No. I fully know that this is done by Fidel Castro and his government.

Get a grip.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
Hello, did i say it was done by the Cuban people??? No. I fully know that this is done by Fidel Castro and his government.

Get a grip.

DG...you know full well you edited the post...you did say "Cubans" instead of "Fidel".... but whatever DG....

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Muadib, i did edit it since you pointed out that what i said wasnt correctly stated.

I wanted to correct my statement which did not come out correctly-

Can you live with that?????

Jeeezzzz....

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Someone earlier on in another post said if you listen close
you can hear them in the distance Sieg Heil Sieg Heil
I guess you can hear them way off in the distance
if they are putting up signs in Cuba it's only a matter
of time till more feel that way.

geo

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
Someone earlier on in another post said if you listen close
you can hear them in the distance Sieg Heil Sieg Heil
I guess you can hear them way off in the distance
if they are putting up signs in Cuba it's only a matter
of time till more feel that way.

geo

You are kidding right?..... That was an attack on the part of the Cuban government (read castro) the Cuban people would rather come to the U.S. or help the U.S to oust the communist dictatorship in Cuba. Perhaps you haven't gotten a hint yet with the millions of Cubans that have left Cuba in makeshift rafts, many of them dying in the shark infested waters close to Cuba or drowning.... Your chant is one that castro is very familiar with and one he agrees with...

new topics

top topics

join