It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATF Attempting to Ban Common Type of Ammo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I realize this has been discussed on ATS but I think there maybe another another angle to this. Also, I think it warrants more attention than it has received. You may or may not agree.

The ATF wants to ban M855 ball .223 ammo because it says the GCA Act of 1986 prohibits armor piercing ammunition. However, the GCA Act states that this applies to handgun ammunition and was intended to protect law enforcement officers from armor piercing projectiles. The act also states that if ammo is made for sporting purposes, it is exempt from this ban. But, what is classified as a sporting round is at the discretion of the Attorney General. The M855 ammo has been exempt for years.
Because some rifles have short barrels and no stocks, they can be regulated as pistols. This allows pretty much all primarily rifle ammo to also fall under the GCA act.

The thing to note here is, almost any modern hunting round contains at least one material on the armor piercing list. Without the exemptions to the GCA Act, the DOJ could expand the ban list to include many of the most popular rounds, leading to shortages in ammo and spikes in prices.

So we have the DOJ using the GCA Act, intended to protect police officers, as a means of enforcing gun (or ammo) control. As stated in the reference article, only 2.5% of murders occur with a rifle of any kind. Also, the ATF has not provided any evidence of one circumstance of a police officer being killed by a armor piercing rifle round shot out of a pistol.

We know that various government agencies have been stockpiling millions of rounds of ammunition for years. Link And now there is this move to ban these rounds. Here are a few reason I can think of as to why this is being implemented. I'm sure there are more I am unaware of. I'd be interested in hearing these.

1. The current administration is truly concerned for the safety of law enforcement and is concerned that criminals will start using pistols with rounds intended for rifles.

2. This is simply the Obama admin using back-door channels to impose what it deems as good for the public.

3. This is market manipulation and there will be some organization/corporation that will greatly profit.

4. There is an extensive and concerted effort to disarm the American public with the explicit intention of preventing any sort of future uprising.

I'll admit that most likely explanation is #2. But is there any validity to any of the others? Could it be a combination of these?

Link
edit on 26-2-2015 by newWorldSamurai because: Fixed typo

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: newWorldSamurai

It just never stops. It seems new and the successes certainly are but, the movement to disarm law abiding citizens is perpetual and so should our awareness and resistance be.

Until we can bring the federal government to heel for its overreach, all we can do is hold course.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: newWorldSamurai
1. The current administration is truly concerned for the safety of law enforcement and is concerned that criminals will start using pistols with rounds intended for rifles.

2. This is simply the Obama admin using back-door channels to impose what it deems as good for the public.

3. This is market manipulation and there will be some organization/corporation that will greatly profit.

4. There is an extensive and concerted effort to disarm the American public with the explicit intention of preventing any sort of future uprising.

1. This administration certainly doesn't have a law enforcement friendly track record, at least on the local and state levels, to lead any credence to this idea.
2. "Good for the public"? Again, where is the track record that anything this administration has ever done has been done with the average American in mind? Good for the public has always been and will always be liberty and freedom, especially freedom from meddling government jackassery.
3. This is one president who, from everything I've seen, has zero financial connections to the ammunition industry.
4. This is the most likely, but I don't know that it has anything to do with prevention of uprisings as much as it has to do with increasing citizen dependency on government for personal protection and provision of food.

Here's my most likely one:
5. Backdoor compliance with United Nation's lead ammo ban attempts combined with current law changes such as this which restrict non-lead ammunition equals NO ammunition.

Solution: Stop electing idiots.

Probability of the solution actually being implemented: HA! This is American voters we're talking about... 0.0%

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
After reading the article I do find it very troubling indeed. If you were to ask me I would also choose number 2 and/or number 4. I have also read and listened to people discussing the pros and cons of a popular revolt against the government. I will not name sources or names/groups. But after DHS making that statement about their investigation concluding that the "American Right Wing are plausible Extremists" It is concerning.

I just hope that this article or the possibility of it happening doesnt fall on deaf ears.

The American People must know what's going on lol.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

5. Backdoor compliance with United Nation's lead ammo ban attempts combined with current law changes such as this which restrict non-lead ammunition equals NO ammunition.

I'll take #5 for all the marbles.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I am actually not trying to ban anything... lmfao yea when the smelters were shot down it was down hill from there now there taking caliber by caliber till theres nothing left...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yeah, the lead ammo ban is just another mechanism for the ultimate agenda, disarming the US.

Probability of the solution actually being implemented: HA! This is American voters we're talking about... 0.0%

Regarding your statement above- Unfortunately, I think that is currently true. Although, I do see an awakening of at least some of the American people. I see the gain in popularity of ATS and other similar sites as evidence of this. Or maybe we're just bored.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: 4N0M4LY
After reading the article I do find it very troubling indeed. If you were to ask me I would also choose number 2 and/or number 4. I have also read and listened to people discussing the pros and cons of a popular revolt against the government. I will not name sources or names/groups. But after DHS making that statement about their investigation concluding that the "American Right Wing are plausible Extremists" It is concerning.

I just hope that this article or the possibility of it happening doesnt fall on deaf ears.

The American People must know what's going on lol.

Tell your friends and family. Get the word out in an informative manner, without pushing a belief system or a set of values on to others; then let them make up their own minds. I know it's cliche but knowledge IS power.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Regarding your statement above- Unfortunately, I think that is currently true. Although, I do see an awakening of at least some of the American people. I see the gain in popularity of ATS and other similar sites as evidence of this. Or maybe we're just bored.

I agree, but we unfortunately have majority rule elections. Combine stupidity with nearly half of the country knowing better than to vote against the representatives of their wealth-redistributing Meal Ticket and the future looks bleak.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I think that we may be forced to consider a 'Union of American Citizens' sustained tax strike. After all, congress isn't tightening the purse strings so we are going to have to give them a new very small picture of the purse we will entrust them with if they could fathom the situation we are in.

Any significant participation would be palpable.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I agree, but we unfortunately have majority rule elections. Combine stupidity with nearly half of the country knowing better than to vote against the representatives of their wealth-redistributing Meal Ticket and the future looks bleak.

Wish there was a 100-star button. I'd use it for that one.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

A mass withdrawal of cash from the banking system might be a solution, as the government would doubt implement a seize and freeze at the first sign of uprising???

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Im sorry but the UN dont dictate policy to the US goverment. the constitution makes that very very clear. Now as far as banning lead i dont think thats gonna fly here. ALso 223 isnt armor piercing unless its hitting sub standard armor and thats with FMJ. simple solution is making 223 hollow point with no core. OR using a composite material that approximates lead in its weight and consistency. BISMITH is a GREAT alternative to lead.bismith bullets with no armor piercing core. Norway uses these.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

4. here is an extensive and concerted effort to disarm the American public with the explicit intention of preventing any sort of future uprising .

The Obvious and Most Probable Reason Bar None................

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

4. here is an extensive and concerted effort to disarm the American public with the explicit intention of preventing any sort of future uprising .

The Obvious and Most Probable Reason Bar None................

That is all one can conclude. They seem to have this fascination with "assault rifles" popular with good ole boys which is not based on any sort of factual data if they want to claim it is for the public good.

They cannot argue that AR-15s are responsible for gun violence as the FBIs stats clearly show that only a couple of hundred deaths are attributed to rifles of any kind, much less AR-15s. Barely 2 or 3% of gun deaths. Vast majority of gun violence is committed with handguns and highly concentrated in urban areas among young black males. Camo wearing Jethro in middle of bumblephuck Indiana with his AR-15 he bought at Cabellas is hardly responsible for the day to day gun violence.

The report noted above that they can't point to a single instance of a cop being killed with this particular ammo in a handgun.

There seems to be this completely irrational fear and I'm starting to believe they are worried about the common man being armed.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

There seems to be this completely irrational fear and I'm starting to believe they are worried about the common man being armed.

That seems to be the logical extension from what has been happening lately.

"Sir, you can carry the rifle but we need to check the bullets in your magazine."

Rifle stop and frisk coming soon.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
And they told me I was overreacting when I started hoarding certain types of ammo 3 years ago.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: greencmp

A mass withdrawal of cash from the banking system might be a solution, as the government would doubt implement a seize and freeze at the first sign of uprising???

People have this idea that banks are bad because they have everyone's money but, that is not exactly correct.

The problem is that our central bank has the power the 'print' money, so to speak. The practice is responsible for our losing 95% of the value of our dollar since its inception a century ago.

That and other tremendous hurdles must be methodically traversed. It is possible because it must be.

No uprising and no revolution is necessary, just a systematic but measured deprecation of our local municipal bureaucracies and their public sector unions. I believe that the bottom up is the way to go. It is how the old conservative bureaucracy was displaced by progressives.

It wouldn't hurt to have professional libertarian politicians but, they don't exist by default. No self respecting libertarian would pursue official office unless under duress.

We can do it one better now that we really do have a generation ready to pick up the catallactic torch who have been disillusioned at an early age with Keynesian 'economics' and statism of all kinds.

The free market is a living system and always survives.
edit on 26-2-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   

a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yeah, the lead ammo ban is just another mechanism for the ultimate agenda, disarming the US.

Because of course any other ammunition just doesn't kill the same!!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Aloysius the Gaul
Firearms laws have nothing to do with "what kills", its all very irrational. Particularly because no matter the killing potential of a weapon, it cant do anything without human intention.

Banning a common round for dubious reasons has 'pacifying' written all over it

top topics

<<   2 >>

join