It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The most haunting imagine in NatGeo 30 years ago, The Girl With Green Eyes has resurfaced

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
What angers me is the fact that media can take a person's face, make hundreds of thousands of dollars off of it without sending at least some of those monies to the person who could have used it the most.

This woman lived a life of squalor in a war torn country, did whatever it took in a desperate attempt to escape from it, and the western world pocketed the profits from her face.

Capitalism.
Oo-rah.

I can definitely agree with that. Imagine all the money NatGeo made off just that one issue alone, just with the original print, and the reprints! Hopefully they sent her something! But that's wishful thinking. I know that. If anything they gave her a small pittance and had her or her parents sign a release form.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
originally posted by: Tangerine

No harm. Probably no good, either. It was just that the notion that someone living in a war torn country where prayers and good wishes didn't do crap to prevent war and oppression would benefit from prayers and good wishes struck me as being absurd. I should have realized that the prayers and good thoughts are really intended to make the one "sending" them feel good. That probably does work.

Now, now, play nice!

No, in all seriousness, some people, myself included, believe what you put out, comes back to you. So if you put out well wishes and prayer, when you need them most, they will come to you. Now, whether this works or not, is a whole 'nother story, honestly. I would like to hope that they work. Otherwise, I think I would lose all hope for this world as a whole. I normally have a very negative, pessimistic, worry-wart attitude when it comes to the world as a whole, and my life. Since my divorce, I've been trying very hard to change that, slowly, but I'm trying at least. Part of that, has been my outlook on life, and yes, that includes what I put out in the world. Maybe I suffered 20 miserable years because I was miserable. So I'm trying to be more cheerful and put that out toward the people in my life, and even the people I read about in the news. I've been a much happier individual, so I would like to think it's working, but there's no true way of knowing really. But you're right, it does make the person praying feel good. But in all honesty, it's not as if they can go there, physically help the woman, other than donating to an organization that may or may not be shady, near her, what else would YOU suggest they do?

Send her a care package. Start a fund to get her and her children out of there. Whatever you want to do. I don't even object to sending her good thoughts so long as you realize you're just making yourself feel good. Nothing wrong with that.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun
a reply to: Anyafaj

Isn't this "refinding" story a couple of years old?
I remember seeing it.
I that why there is not specific dates are mentioned?

I think you're thinking of 2001/2002 when the photographer first refound her married to the baker.

In search of Afghan Girl

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

No harm. Probably no good, either. It was just that the notion that someone living in a war torn country where prayers and good wishes didn't do crap to prevent war and oppression would benefit from prayers and good wishes struck me as being absurd. I should have realized that the prayers and good thoughts are really intended to make the one "sending" them feel good. That probably does work.

Now, now, play nice!

No, in all seriousness, some people, myself included, believe what you put out, comes back to you. So if you put out well wishes and prayer, when you need them most, they will come to you. Now, whether this works or not, is a whole 'nother story, honestly. I would like to hope that they work. Otherwise, I think I would lose all hope for this world as a whole. I normally have a very negative, pessimistic, worry-wart attitude when it comes to the world as a whole, and my life. Since my divorce, I've been trying very hard to change that, slowly, but I'm trying at least. Part of that, has been my outlook on life, and yes, that includes what I put out in the world. Maybe I suffered 20 miserable years because I was miserable. So I'm trying to be more cheerful and put that out toward the people in my life, and even the people I read about in the news. I've been a much happier individual, so I would like to think it's working, but there's no true way of knowing really. But you're right, it does make the person praying feel good. But in all honesty, it's not as if they can go there, physically help the woman, other than donating to an organization that may or may not be shady, near her, what else would YOU suggest they do?

Send her a care package. Start a fund to get her and her children out of there. Whatever you want to do. I don't even object to sending her good thoughts so long as you realize you're just making yourself feel good. Nothing wrong with that.

Right now I'm on a very limited budget thanks to my last landlord, so for now at least, it will have to be prayers and good thoughts, but I wouldn't mind sending a donation in the future, when I can afford it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join