It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson gives NASA a Bible lesson: God didn’t put life on ‘barren rocks’ in space

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Christianity does not insist that an anti-scientific view be adopted by believers. If individuals who practice the faith refuse to engage with science, then that is their shout, but they should not do so based on a fallacy inserted into the faith by its flawed, selfish, power hungry leaders of yesteryear!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Regardless of what said Christian believes, or what's taught to them by said church, it doesn't negate the absolute fact their dogma is completely counter to our scientific findings.

Additionally, I would whole heartedly argue that the religious notion that we have answers to life's biggest questions, which is exactly what religion professes, is precisely antithetical to what is good and moral and what we should be doing.. We need to instill into people that we don't have answers to life's biggest questions.. because truly we do not..

Science is about discovery. Can you truly same the same about religion?
edit on 27-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Do not generalise. Not all religious belief has the same meaning or dogma associated with it.

Furthermore, you should not equate The Church, and Christianity, as being the same things. Very often those most pious are those whose ears are most closed to the word of Christ, so the attitudes of The Church are NOT the same as the attitudes of Christians. Many Christians avoid churches completely in this day and age, for precisely that reason, myself included.

That being understood, I will explain that having faith in Jesus does not automatically render a believer incapable of respecting the work, discoveries, and importance of science in terms of our current situation as human beings, and indeed what it all means for our future.

First of all, you and I are conversing using a medium which would be impossible without scientific pursuits, computer engineering, and understanding of the way electricity can be harnessed to achieve an end. I love communicating with people all over the world, and it would be foolish of me in the extreme therefore, to fail to recognise that science is an amazing tool.

Not only that, but it literally allows us to see the guts of the universe, from the smallest particles, to the largest densities of mass you can imagine, or at least infer their presence from their effects on their surroundings. I know this, and yet, I still believe in the word of Jesus Christ. There is a reason for that. The reason is simple. Science is amazing for all that it can do, but it can teach us nothing of morality, of love or ethics. It can tell us what the electrochemical signature of warm feeling is, but it cannot describe for us how to be altruistic, or how far we ought to go for those who might spite us, regardless of how risky it might be.

Science can tell us the weight of a thing, and the shape of a thing, and the volatility of a compound, but it cannot describe to us the meaning of fairness, or the sensation of helping a stranger, even one who might be expected to prove to be an enemy. Science deals with the nature of the physical universe, the matter and the energy. Faith deals with matters of the soul, the heart, the spirit.

They are separate things, but assuming a basic level of intelligence on the part of the believer, they are not mutually exclusive to one another.

Science, for me, is a tool which I like to use, in order to better understand the majesty of creation, and I find all of it absolutely fascinating. At no point have I ever felt that my faith, and my enjoyment of science were irreconcilable elements of my persona, nor have I ever felt them clash in the least. So, one may not say that Christianity, OR religion in general are anti-science, without being in error.

Whether one can have a faith, and appreciate science for the boon to humanity that it surely represents, is entirely about how much DOGMA one has been accessed by, and whether or not that dogma has achieved dominance over the main thrust of the religious belief one happens to hold. If one happens to be immune to indoctrination, by way of having an intellect which provides defence against it, one can experience both science and faith as positive elements in their lives, and accept the benefits of both without confusion.

The attitudes toward science, held by CHURCH leaders (again, not Christians generally, but CHURCH people) are formulated to prevent people who pay an awful lot of money to their horrible organisations, from investing it elsewhere, from gaining freedom from the mind factories that modern religious organisations have become in the main. Placing oneself in the hands of a priest or pastor, is to expose oneself to a flawed human being, and their interpretation of faith.

Being a lover of science, and a believer in Jesus, leads me to the conclusion that the best one can do, is to study Jesus words carefully, and look to HIM for guidance, not the army of bastards who have come along to profess falsely to speak on his behalf. It also means that my understanding of matters is as follows.

For those moments when one wishes to understand the quantum mechanics involved with the universes existence, when one wishes to heal a wound, when one is concerned with the tensile strength of a particular compound, or wants to explore the galaxy, one turns to the wisdom imparted by science. When one wishes to explore the human condition, when one wants to understand how to be a better person, or how to deal with matters of the heart, one should turn to Jesus.

I have both things at my disposal, and consider myself to be much better off than the woollen eyed idiots who follow televangelists for all that. I have both faith, and reason at my fingertips, when ever I have need of them, and am comfortable with both.

edit on 27-2-2015 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Oh my. Quite a reply. This will require a moment of my time.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

How do you reconcile your trust in science with the fact that science has shown that the miracles of Jesus were impossible and likely didn't occur? Do you consider Jesus just a man? If so, why worship him? Do you still think he performed those miracles? Then you are discounted scientific evidence and proof that says otherwise. Just curious as to your opinion here.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Science is the tool I use to navigate the physical elements of MY existence. My FAITH however is in Jesus. They are separate elements of my core as an individual. One relates to the things I see, taste, touch, and sense with my body. One is about nourishment of my soul and spirit.

I reconcile them by not requiring that they make sense when taken as a whole narrative. Where science is concerned, I answer questions using its basic principles all the time, especially in my work, which can be quite Newtonian in aspect at times. Where my belief is concerned, I have faith that when I meet my maker, I will have the opportunity to answer questions like how Jesus walked on water, and by what mechanism he fed multitudes with a small amount of fish and bread.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

There is a point where faith in religion and science meet. This is one of those cases. It looks to me that the reason you can reconcile both things in your life is because you don't think about the conflicts that believing that Jesus performed miracles defies physics.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
This thread is titled " pat robertson gives nasa a bible lesson "

To imply " in your face nasa, you dont know nothing.

But what if ........

Cave men still existed, and I created a thread called " caveman gives stephen hawking a cave painting lesson on physics"

Would it even matter to stephen ??

Its only value would be comedic right ?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Not so!

I do consider the defiance of physics that Jesus' actions represented on occasion. However, because I have faith in Jesus, I am sure that I will receive an answer to that type of question, from the source himself, when my time comes to interface with the infinite.

Where matters of the here and now are concerned however, I take a very emperical veiw, when it comes to what I trust, and how I come to trust it. I will admit that this represents a double standard, whereby the only thing I never require PROOF of, is Jesus, but everything else is held to a firmer measure. However, I am very comfortable with that.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Oh fun Pat Robertson how heck are you still alive you gotta be 80million years old by now.

So God being omnipotent and all that has to set up experiments to test his hypothesis?

ANOTHER OUTDATED BELIEF SYSTEM BITES THE DUST

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Not so!

I do consider the defiance of physics that Jesus' actions represented on occasion. However, because I have faith in Jesus, I am sure that I will receive an answer to that type of question, from the source himself, when my time comes to interface with the infinite.

But science answer already has an answer to those questions. Science says that Jesus defied physics with his miracles and therefore didn't happen. Science says that humans are prone to being superstitious and let their confirmation biases reinforce these beliefs. Science says that the Jesus narrative is likely the story of a small time Jewish cult leader whose exploits were sensationalized by the public and his followers.

I have nothing against saying that Jesus was an inspiring person and spoke many progressive and new ideas about how we should behave towards each other that got him killed, but to believe the miracle version of bible as true while saying you also respect science is hypocritical. Because to believe the former, you have to deny parts of the latter.

Where matters of the here and now are concerned however, I take a very emperical veiw, when it comes to what I trust, and how I come to trust it. I will admit that this represents a double standard, whereby the only thing I never require PROOF of, is Jesus, but everything else is held to a firmer measure. However, I am very comfortable with that.

Well if it gets you through the day, who am I to say otherwise. I just find it hypocritical. I think Jesus can be celebrated better as a wise man than a deity.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: 4N0M4LY

But you see, it really is one set of belief against another.

Maybe that ship will never come because the condiions for life are so specific and sensitive that even in all this vastness we are unique or lucky to have emerged out of chaos or designed.

Now im not rooting for one or the other, just considering all the possibilities.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

You say that Jesus would be better thought of as a wiseman than as a deity.

I say that if one has listened to his word, and taken it up TRUELY, the outworking of the two are indistinguishable from one another. It is only when mortal stupidity enters the equation that anyone can tell the difference, because that stupidity leads to crusades, greed distorting the message, power corrupting the ideal, and organisations forming to sculpt the minds of those who innocently took up the message of Christ.

I choose to believe that Jesus is the son of God, but those who meet me in life are often unware that I am Christian until I mention it, because I treat everyone equally and make no assumptions, something which many are unfamiliar with, when dealing with the faithful. This is because I have truely adopted Christs message, rather than having adopted the Church. They are not the same.

Therefore, since I harm none in doing so, what does it matter?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

It doesn't matter. I was just curious about your beliefs and how you reconciled them with science.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

I hope to be here no matter what the outcome.

We have certain leads on what we think it takes for life to sprout. We are hoping these leads are right.

Perhaps conditions for life are a lot more sensitive than we like to admit and that just having a blue planet at a certain distance from a sun is not enough. I certainly dont know. But i believe it could be so.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Who the hell cares what some ignorant religious whacko thinks? Just laugh at him/pity him, and then move on.

Unfortunately quite a few people ,like the millions who sent him money over the yrs and not just folks from the states but around the world, he is a wacko,but a wacko of means and an audience, incidentally there is a thread on the UFO forum.
I said.

I am gonna get into trouble for saying this, but Podesta's proclamation that Americans can handle the truth, I tend to disagree with that , maybe the folks here on ATS can and others can, but that might be the bubble "we" live in, many of us can't even handle the truth about ourselves and our planet, then there is the rest of the world, really?? a hugh disclosure like extraterrestrials visiting the earth and perhaps interacting and meddling in our affairs won't cause many religious conservatives of whatever origins to go off the deep end?? this would not be the equivalent of discovering mold under a Mars rock,this is very very different, frankly I am not so sure that we as in the rest of the planet is ready and can handle it without global disruption, I foresee many who would view this as proof that these are demonic beings and the end draws near.

It is these types I had I mind,those who will "C-Block" scientific inquiries all the time.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Who cares what this bloated, hypocrite thinks. Pat Robertson is a con-artist. While we are at it why don't we ask Bernie maddoff what he thinks about NASA's budget?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Who cares what this bloated, hypocrite thinks. Pat Robertson is a con-artist. While we are at it why don't we ask Bernie maddoff what he thinks about NASA's budget?

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

How do you reconcile your trust in science with the fact that science has shown that the miracles of Jesus were impossible and likely didn't occur? Do you consider Jesus just a man? If so, why worship him? Do you still think he performed those miracles? Then you are discounted scientific evidence and proof that says otherwise. Just curious as to your opinion here.
People, Jesus the Son of God is above and beyond physics. Of course He performed all the miracles that defy physics. Once you truly become Saved by His Grace, you will have no doubts whatever about Jesus. Do you not know that the miracle of Salvation is the greatest miracle of all. The Born Again experience is intensely physical, as the soul you are born with is stripped from your body b4 The Holy Spirit enters your body. Both these things when they happen, you are truly zapped by His mighty Grace and you rise beyond mere faith and belief. This is beyond science so thinking about this experience scientifically is futile. Praise Jesus.
Hope that helps

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Yea... The conversation between TrueBrit and I wasn't an invitation for you to come in and proselytize to me. I was asking him specific questions on how he can reconcile his belief in god with a physics defying Jesus. I, personally, don't care about the divinity of Jesus since I know it is a lie and not possible. So your text here will do nothing to change my mind. I've already traveled that path in my life and found it devoid of answers.
edit on 27-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join