It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson gives NASA a Bible lesson: God didn’t put life on ‘barren rocks’ in space

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
And yet Christians want to scream about being persecuted.

Anytime a Televangelist like Pat Robertson can say something like this publicly, to millions of people through TV and radio, there is no persecution. And even worse, many will believe him, and believe he is speaking for "God" himself.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: JadeStar
Can someone please tell me how:

1) Pat Robertson is still relevant?
2) Pat Robertson is relevant to Space Exploration?

:

Rev. Pat is still relevant because he has a huge following and is a spokesperson for Fundamentalist Christians in America.
His program 700club claims to have 85 million viewers. That's relevant both politically and culturally.

us.wow.com...

But how is it relevant to Space Exploration?

I guess it makes the argument for better STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education funding in the USA.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
And in next week's news...

Billy Graham discusses the satanic cult of nano particles, the hoaxed dinosaur bones, and the luciferian symbolism displayed in fractals.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
And yet Christians want to scream about being persecuted.

Anytime a Televangelist like Pat Robertson can say something like this publicly, to millions of people through TV and radio, there is no persecution. And even worse, many will believe him, and believe he is speaking for "God" himself.

I would not judge Christians based on religious extremists like Mr. Robertson any more than I'd judge Muslims based on the actions of ISIS or Buddhists based on the actions of Aum Shinrikyo.

To me, people like Pat Robertson are "Fake Christians".

They live their lives accumulating vast amounts of wealth (often from poor, undereducated and ignorant people) and rather than use it for good and to improve their lives they use it to build media empires to preach hate.

That is almost diametrically opposite of the life Jesus lived and what he was about.

Though I've read the Bible, I'm not a Christian. I almost wish Christ -would- come back to give people like him the smackdown.
edit on 26-2-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   
There are Christians, and then there are Christians. The church of Rome, often considered an anachronism itself is not in denial of extra-terrestrials any more, so where is this fellow Robertson coming from, or more to the point where's he going to? forward or backward...sounds like backward to me.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

:

Rev. Pat is still relevant because he has a huge following and is a spokesperson for Fundamentalist Christians in America.
His program 700club claims to have 85 million viewers. That's relevant both politically and culturally.

us.wow.com...

I guess it makes the argument for better STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) education funding in the USA.

Rev. Pat has the ability to call on his followers and swing elections. The right wing could ostensibly cut all funding for any scientific research including NASA. Tax dollars fund NASA.... That's relevant ....
edit on 26-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy
There are Christians, and then there are Christians. The church of Rome, often considered an anachronism itself is not in denial of extra-terrestrials any more, so where is this fellow Robertson coming from, or more to the point where's he going to? forward or backward...sounds like backward to me.

Yes, and the Vatican Observatory recently co-hosted an Astrobiology conference which gathered scientists to discuss the search for life in the universe...

Motivated by the rapidly increasing number of known Earth-sized planets, the increasing range of extreme conditions in which life on Earth can persist, and the progress toward a technology that will ultimately enable the search for life on exoplanets, the Vatican Observatory and the Steward Observatory announce a major conference entitled The Search for Life Beyond the Solar System: Exoplanets, Biosignatures & Instruments.

Goal: The goal of the conference is to bring together the interdisciplinary community required to address this multi-faceted challenge: experts on exoplanet observations, early and extreme life on Earth, atmospheric biosignatures, and planet-finding telescopes.

Video archive at the link above.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

:

us.wow.com...

Rev. Pat has the ability to call on his followers and swing elections. The right wing could ostensibly cut all funding for any scientific research including NASA. Tax dollars fund NASA.... That's relevant ....

Oh I get that.

I just question whether the majority of those who consider themselves political conservatives also are followers of guys like this.

Political conservatism need not necessarily mean religious extremism.

I am not up on politics but do the majority of Republicans follow this guy?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg
I'm just hoping Ted Cruz (chairman of NASA's senate subcommittee) doesn't give Pat Robertson a second career at NASA.

It could happen. Ted is about as far right Christian as you can get.

www.ontheissues.org...

Here's what Ted Cruz is actually proposing for NASA. More space exploration. I'm sorry, which president directed NASA's administrator to focus on "muslim outreach" to "make them feel better about their accomplishments?"

We must refocus our investment on the hard sciences, on getting men and women into space, on exploring low-Earth orbit and beyond, and not on political distractions that are extraneous to NASA’s mandate."

www.businessinsider.com...

Agree 100%

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

:

us.wow.com...

Oh I get that.

I just question whether the majority of those who consider themselves political conservatives also are followers of guys like this.

Political conservatism need not necessarily mean religious extremism.

I am not up on politics but do the majority of Republicans follow this guy?

I don't know about them following rev Pat but the majority watch Fox news and that's worse than Pat Robertson any day, as far as curtailment of education in all its facets.

www.people-press.org...
edit on 26-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Is this just another attempt by Christians to deny and limit scientific research?

No, it's a group of people pushing out their most ignorant and idiotic old relative to preach some nonsense in an attempt to profit.

The man is an ignorant fool, but those using him to make money are even worse. They know exactly what they're doing, claiming to be "Christians" while capitalizing on an old man.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I seriously cannot wait to get the heck off this planet or at least live long enough to send my offspring off to some kind of space faring endeavor. Some people are so ill-informed to assume that life doesn't exist within the entire universe filled with over hundreds of galaxies that have too many star systems to count. I know for sure that we are not the only planet that has life on it. I can guarantee it.

I weep for this guys ignorance.

My apologies for the rant.

edit on 26-2-2015 by 4N0M4LY because: (needed to re-think my statements to make sense)

edit on 26-2-2015 by 4N0M4LY because: remodified to sound more understandible

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ngchunter

I'm just hoping Ted Cruz (chairman of NASA's senate subcommittee) doesn't give Pat Robertson a second career at NASA.

www.ontheissues.org...

Here's what Ted Cruz is actually proposing for NASA. More space exploration. I'm sorry, which president directed NASA's administrator to focus on "muslim outreach" to "make them feel better about their accomplishments?"

I know you know this but many people don't know that the majority of bright stars have Arabic names:

Aldebaran, Betelgeuse, Algol, Deneb, Fomalhaut, Keid, Mizar, Rigel, ec.

I don't want to get into a political debate on a space forum but don't you think it makes sense to remind Muslims of the legacy ancient Arabic astronomers who dutifully charted the skies during their golden era where science and rationality rather than than extremism was the aspiration of Islamic world?

I'd certainly rather have more Muslim kids knowing and being proud of that history and aspiring to become scientists not suicide bombers. Like it or not, ignorance of that era and the feeling of hopelessness among many of the poor in the Islamic world allows them to be manipulated into joining groups like ISIS.

When Europe experienced their Dark Ages and information was lost they turned to the Arab world's scientific records which persist to this day most notably in astronomy.

That -should- be taught to young people in the Islamic world since it shows that in the past it was on equal footing with the West and through rationality and a rejection of religious extremism, it can be again in the future.

We must refocus our investment on the hard sciences, on getting men and women into space, on exploring low-Earth orbit and beyond, and not on political distractions that are extraneous to NASA’s mandate."

www.businessinsider.com...

Agree 100%

Too me it sounds like he's pushing for cancelling the work NASA does in the Earth Sciences and Astrophysics divisions in favor of a bloated human spaceflight program like Bush's Constellation program which went nowhere. We've been here before....

The Terrestrial Planet Finder was cancelled under Bush for similar reasons..... Had it not been, it would be flying right now and might have detected life on a nearby exoplanet.....Just sayin':

It should be noted that people like Pat Robertson see the search for life in the universe as a "political distraction" which serves to undermine religious conservatism. Astrobiology is viewed as threat because it involves confirming aspects of evolution.

Hopefully Cruz does not believe this but from that statement you quoted, it doesn't look good.

NASA's budget should not be used to further political agendas. It should be used to do pure science.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Come on he is just expressing his belief, just as those who BELIEVE life is everywhere outside earth.

Lets face the music we have no proof of life outside earth. Just beliefs.

I am not trollin just giving the facts.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ngchunter

www.ontheissues.org...

I know you know this but many people don't know that the majority of bright stars have Arabic names:

Aldebaran, Betelgeuse, Algol, Deneb, Fomalhaut, Keid, Mizar, Rigel, ec.

I don't want to get into a political debate on a space forum but don't you think it makes sense to remind Muslims of the legacy ancient Arabic astronomers who dutifully charted the skies during their golden era where science and rationality rather than than extremism was the aspiration of Islamic world?

I don't think that should be NASA's job at all. NASA needs to be focused squarely on space exploration. If we're going to fight terrorists (oh sorry, "extremists") we should do it be quickly and thoroughly eliminating them and then leaving the area, that's the military's job. The job should not be trying to placate them or trying to educate them. It's a lost cause, just as lost a cause as trying to convince people who think Apollo was a hoax that it was in fact real, or that ISS is real, or that anything NASA does is real. I've given up trying. Now I just point and laugh when I see that kind of ignorance, there's no point in trying to educate it and NASA should definitely not be wasting its resources or its administrator's time playing footsie with the Islamic world. Extremists will be extremists, they can't be reasoned with. Reminding them of what their predecessors accomplished with science will solve nothing.

Personally I agree with the direction Ted Cruz is proposing, and he is NOT proposing shutting down NASA as some here have ignorantly claimed. I'm not going to try to educate the ignorance anymore, slipped into my old habit and I apologize, I'll just point and laugh instead.
edit on 26-2-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes
Come on he is just expressing his belief, just as those who BELIEVE life is everywhere outside earth.

While we have no proof of life outside of Earth, we have plenty of evidence that the conditions for it to exist are out there. We also know that life started pretty early in Earth's history, not long after it cooled from its formation so that would indicate it's possibly a common process which occurs under the right conditions.

It's kind of like how in the 1400s in Europe there was no proof that the Earth was round but there were plenty of observations known to the 'natural philosophers' (the physicists of the time) which indicated the Earth was probably round.

Another example would be Exoplanets.

In the 1960s we had no evidence of a planet beyond our solar system however, many astronomers began to suspect that they must exist and tried to find them using various techniques. The reason we looked was because based on models of our Sun's formation, planets seemed to be a logical byproduct of star formation.

This was beyond simply having a belief. It was about extrapolating observations and models to a possible outcome and logical hypothesis and then again looking for evidence to find something which supported that hypothesis.

It was only when our technology caught up to what would be needed to find such planets (the invention of CCDs mostly) that we found them in the 1990s.

Right now we have plenty of observations which indicate that life is probably common in the universe. What we don't yet have is evidence of life beyond Earth. Or perhaps we have it and just do not yet know it. It's like we're in the early 80s with exoplanets. We are just beginning to develop the tools and techniques to sniff out life on another world around another Sun. So we're likely just around the corner from discovery.... And that scares people like Pat Robertson.

Stick around the next 10 to 20 years or so and I suspect we'll have more than a hypothesis that life exists outside the Earth. We'll probably, have proof.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

www.rawstory.com...

Rev Pat Robertson on Wednesday called on NASA to stop spending time and money exploring other planets because he said that God’s only “experiment” with life was on Earth.

“Folks, I want to tell you something,” Robertson told viewers of The 700 Club. “They talk about life on other planets. In my opinion, there’s nothing but gaseous balls and barren rocks up in space. That’s all that’s there.”

“This planet is where God has got an experiment in what he wants to have accomplished,” he continued. “But somehow, people want to spend a lot of money to go to Mars! I don’t want to think that Mars is someplace I want to visit, and it would take a lot of money to get there!”

I'm sure that there are many Christians that follow and feel the same way Rev. Pat does. Is this just another attempt by Christians to deny and limit scientific research?

Perhaps Rev. Pats opposition to space exploration isn't really about the money spent but more in tune with fear based ideas that if in fact extraterrestrial life is found; it could throw the whole KJV of the Bible into question.

Perhaps it's just me, but I find it extremely arrogant that a mortal can presume to know the mind of GOD.

This Guy is a Fundie and the fundies are dying out. I am a Christian Mystic and Absolutely adore Science, Mars, Exploration, the possibility of ALien life, changing this world for the better, freedom of belief systems.

The Old version of Fundie-based Bible belt Christianity is dying a slow death and the only CHristians that will remain will be the Mystics and this is by design, The Mystics are about Love, Truth, Unity, Oneness, being legit examples of what CHrist was about and these small minded Fundies are dying....

DOn't worry about him. He's on his way out, and a new younger brighter generation will take his place and demand change and support space exploration. Humanity is like a person, and Jesus said to be like the Children, and children LOVE To explore their surroundings. Space explorations is humanity's inner child starting to explore.

Robertson is irrelevant

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bitsforbytes

Are you serious? Of course he can believe what he wants although his beliefs are severly skewed. To assume that LIFE doesn't exist is really assinine. I will agree we do not have the facts, YET.

We simply have not aquired the technology to make such a discovery. The only sure way to see life existed is if an alien starship decided to make its presence known to the entire world.

I would imagine half of the globe would flip out because they actually believed our God created the entire vastness of space for US....

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: bitsforbytes

While we have no proof of life outside of Earth, we have plenty of evidence that the conditions for it to exist are out there. We also know that life started pretty early in Earth's history, not long after it cooled from its formation so that would indicate it's possibly a common process which occurs under the right conditions.

It's kind of like how in the 1400s in Europe there was no proof that the Earth was round but there were plenty of observations known to the 'natural philosophers' (the physicists of the time) which indicated the Earth was probably round.

Another example would be Exoplanets.

In the 1960s we had no evidence of a planet beyond our solar system however, many astronomers began to suspect that they must exist and tried to find them using various techniques. The reason we looked was because based on models of our Sun's formation, planets seemed to be a logical byproduct of star formation.

This was beyond simply having a belief. It was about extrapolating observations and models to a possible outcome and logical hypothesis and then again looking for evidence to find something which supported that hypothesis.

It was only when our technology caught up to what would be needed to find such planets (the invention of CCDs mostly) that we found them in the 1990s.

Right now we have plenty of observations which indicate that life is probably common in the universe. What we don't yet have is evidence of life beyond Earth. Or perhaps we have it and just do not yet know it. It's like we're in the early 80s with exoplanets. We are just beginning to develop the tools and techniques to sniff out life on another world around another Sun. So we're likely just around the corner from discovery.... And that scares people like Pat Robertson.

Stick around the next 10 to 20 years or so and I suspect we'll have more than a hypothesis that life exists outside the Earth. We'll probably, have proof.

Thank you for putting it more eloquently than I ever could.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Take comfort in knowing that he was backstage talking to Jesus before the show.

So its straight from the horses mouth.

ETA: on second thought....I think we should send Robertson to Mars so he can check out his and Jesus' theory.
edit on 2/26/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join