It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson gives NASA a Bible lesson: God didn’t put life on ‘barren rocks’ in space

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   
www.rawstory.com...

Rev Pat Robertson on Wednesday called on NASA to stop spending time and money exploring other planets because he said that God’s only “experiment” with life was on Earth.

“Folks, I want to tell you something,” Robertson told viewers of The 700 Club. “They talk about life on other planets. In my opinion, there’s nothing but gaseous balls and barren rocks up in space. That’s all that’s there.”

“This planet is where God has got an experiment in what he wants to have accomplished,” he continued. “But somehow, people want to spend a lot of money to go to Mars! I don’t want to think that Mars is someplace I want to visit, and it would take a lot of money to get there!”

I'm sure that there are many Christians that follow and feel the same way Rev. Pat does. Is this just another attempt by Christians to deny and limit scientific research?

Perhaps Rev. Pats opposition to space exploration isn't really about the money spent but more in tune with fear based ideas that if in fact extraterrestrial life is found; it could throw the whole KJV of the Bible into question.

Perhaps it's just me, but I find it extremely arrogant that a mortal can presume to know the mind of GOD.

edit on 26-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Good Lord. ( no pun intented)

How selfish is that an outlook? That God created ALL of this...Literally a universe that we can't see the end of, and only put life on a little rock in some insignificant portion of it.

Hilarious.

They don't give God much credit, I'll tell you that.

~Tenth

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I mean to really look up in the sky and just assume there is nothing else out there just baffles me.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
"In my opinion..." he said...

Nice way to cover up the fact that your were speaking for God!!!

Blasphemous cretin.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It's okay...the rest of the life in the universe doesn't believe in Pat Robertson.

I wish people of his ilk would shut their mouths on subjects they are not educated in. Leave science to scientists and leave preaching to the preachers.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think Pat is angry that NASA is using that money for research and not giving to his "church" efforts. Just think of how many souls he could save with all that $!

Mr. Robertson, I'd like to thank you for providing some of the funniest dumb things said in my lifetime. If nothing else, you provide smiles.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thank you Pat Robinson, cant tell you how many hours I spent pondering this topic but I guess thats it then, case closed!!!!

Not much more to say really so Ill give the obligatory "2nd line" and be on my way happy in the knowledge that one of lifes great mysteries is a mystery no more.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Great now that we have this question answered, scientists can move onto the Universe's next big mystery. Is there intelligence in Pat Robertson?
edit on 26-2-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I'm just hoping Ted Cruz (chairman of NASA's senate subcommittee) doesn't give Pat Robertson a second career at NASA.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: rupertg
I'm just hoping Ted Cruz (chairman of NASA's senate subcommittee) doesn't give Pat Robertson a second career at NASA.

It could happen. Ted is about as far right Christian as you can get.

www.ontheissues.org...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Can someone please tell me how:

1) Pat Robertson is still relevant?
2) Pat Robertson is relevant to Space Exploration?

To me his utterances have as much relevance to space exploration the Flat Earth Society has to geography.

I suspect that old guy is in for a huge shock if he lives 10 more years and he knows it.

More broadly, I never understood why people like him feel so threatened by the inevitability of life on other worlds. It does not invalidate their spiritual beliefs if they are as strong as they say they are.

And if they are not that strong to begin with then why even get into a dialog with science about them? Science and Spirituality are two different things with different purposes.

Science is to understand the natural world.

Spirituality/Religion is to understand either the supernatural (Gods) or that which is within (consciousness).

Why fight?
edit on 26-2-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   
If god created the entire universe and only put life on earth, then all the more reason to go out and explore more planets, no?

Either its all #ing ours and we should go claim it, or its not all ours and we should go explore it, meet new life and be the curious wanderers our species has always been.

Anyone who stares at their feet as much as Robertson must, should just off themselves.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra
If god created the entire universe and only put life on earth, then all the more reason to go out and explore more planets, no?

Either its all #ing ours and we should go claim it, or its not all ours and we should go explore it, meet new life and be the curious wanderers our species has always been.

Anyone who stares at their feet as much as Robertson must, should just off themselves.

That's right he does stare at his feet doesn't he?

If one only stares at their feet they will never see the glory of the stars.

link   
By the way, wasn't Pat Robertson the guy who said, that that people who get too much plastic surgery end up with Asian eyes while stretching his eyelids in a racist stereotype of Asians?

Like I would ever listen to that guy......

link   
The Catholic church kept science back 400 years, I think that entity, if it had kept out of the secular world, we would be on Mars now.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Pat Robertson gives Christians a bad name.

I'm not speaking for myself, because I'm not necessarily a religious person -- I'm more agnostic (i.e., I can't pretend to understand enough about the universe to know if there really is a God or not).

However, speaking for many Christians I know who believe in their faith AND in the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere, I'd say Robertson is not indicative of all Christians. Even the Vatican has said that intelligent alien life probably exists, and would be part of God's creation.

edit on 2/26/2015 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Who the hell cares what some ignorant religious whacko thinks? Just laugh at him/pity him, and then move on.
edit on 2/26/2015 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

Well, you asked for it.

southpark.cc.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JadeStar

1) Pat Robertson is still relevant?

:

Rev. Pat is still relevant because he has a huge following and is a spokesperson for Fundamentalist Christians in America.
His program 700club claims to have 85 million viewers. That's relevant both politically and culturally.

us.wow.com...
edit on 26-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: pikestaff
The Catholic church kept science back 400 years, I think that entity, if it had kept out of the secular world, we would be on Mars now.

I think we'd be further than that.

Giordano Bruno was onto something.

Maybe astrobiology would have started in the 100 or 200 years ago had he not been killed?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join