It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer patient, 13, turned away from nail salon because she was in wheelchair

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

You're right, what everyone needs is to fill out a govt-sanctionaed health/religion/bumfun-status questionnaire on entering a nailbar/cake-shop etc to see how they are for being served, rather than folk just using their brains and not poking their noses into their customer's private business.

I mean, i wouldn't want to catch AIDS when i was cutting someone's hair or get finger cancer from fingernails.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
That's just plain wrong dammit.

But at the same time I think the mother is irresponsible for taking her to get her nails done with little to no immune system.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Yes! Nail salons are a hotbed for staph infections, etc.

On another note, the person serving this young woman likely spoke only a little English, so it might be easy to misinterpret her.

It's sad that this happened to a young woman who is fighting through cancer treatments, but I don't believe the salon deserves to be sued, or shut down. It's not as if the owner has a "no wheelchair" policy, an employee likely felt uncomfortable serving a client who looked so frail, and had little language to eloquently ask the questions she needed to to deem it was safe to work on the young woman's nails.

a reply to: Bone75

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

You're right, what everyone needs is to fill out a govt-sanctionaed health/religion/bumfun-status questionnaire on entering a nailbar/cake-shop etc to see how they are for being served, rather than folk just using their brains and not poking their noses into their customer's private business.

I mean, i wouldn't want to catch AIDS when i was cutting someone's hair or get finger cancer from fingernails.

If I am doing nails in a mall I doubt I can look at someone and instantly evaluate their medical condition other than to see they are sick. If I have a compromised immune system I should have rights not to put MY health at risk. I am not saying that is what I would do, but it is stupid to assume someone in a nail salon has the medical expertise to evaluate threats to their health other than to be able to see someone is sick.

You are using absurdity instead of addressing my point which is that people have a right to avoid situations that might endanger their health. IF the nail technician is advised of the health status of the individual then YES...in that situation...they could make a more informed decision.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

He said he couldn't do it, I don't know how plausible that is. After all what do I know of nail salons and that kind of work.. Maybe it's an obvious lie, I just don't know, but what about giving this person the benefit of the doubt? There could have been valid reasons? I think people in this thread is being awfully hard on this person/salon.

They also made a big effort in making up for it, give them a break, worse things have happened. Someone got denied having their nails done, it's not the end of the world and the situation seems to have resolved itself. Nothing to get aggravated about or waste energy on, this situation was remedied. It's not like this is part of some huge trend of discrimination targeting little girls suffering from cancer.

Eh...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn
Your beliefs or fears are not protected. Her rights are.

I take it you're being sarcastic, considering our discussion in another thread. But what you say is true.

I do hope the salon has reconsidered.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This sort of news annoys me, much worse stuff happens every second. Get over it.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

You are correct. It's been a really hard day. Made some bad decisions, and ran off at the mouth.
I made quite a few edits, along with apologies. It's frustrating not being able to get thought from
point A to point B. The garble from thought to paper sucks. Or screen.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Im not sure if you think I was aggravated, or if that was a general reply to the thread, but my opinion on the subject is generally inline with yours. A
reply to: TheLaughingGod

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

i do like a bit of absurdity, it helps me deal with the awful selfishness that allowed someone to turn away an ill kid on the grounds that they could not accommodate her in the shop - which really doesn't strike true. It just seems laziness on the part of the individual who stated that they were unable to serve her, when another worker clearly thinks it would be fine, after the fact admittedly.

There was of course no question that someone could get ill from her, this story is all about the responsibility of a business owner to make their service available and accessible to all.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

But at the same time I think the mother is irresponsible for taking her to get her nails done with little to no immune system.

Not necessarily, for all you know, the hospital gave the ok for this. Her immune system may be well enough to handle this kind of outing and that's why this was planned for now. If they waited this darn long for something like this, it could also explain the girl's reaction to the let down of being told no. I know after waiting 2 1/2 months if IV fluids following a spinal surgery and a 2 week coma, I was DYING for real food! When I was finally given a choice of food, I decided on a pepperoni, black olive, mushroom personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut. At first they refused to make it, when my dad explained how long I'd gone without solid foods, the manager was nice enough to make it personally himself and my dad brought it to me in the hospital. Had it not been made, I might have been frustrated enough to cry as well, who knows. Not so much because of anger, or shame, or even frustration, but more from disappointment and just hunger in general. This poor girl had probably been looking forward to a day like this for quite some time. This was something special for her. Who knows, a symbol of her "getting better". So to be disappointed in such a way, it might been symbolic as she wasn't getting better. Lord knows how she felt that day. I know I was a bundle of nerves until my dad showed up with the pizza in the hospital. I almost began crying when he tried to tease me saying security wouldn't allow outside food in, when he saw me welling up, he knew, give me FOOD! A sick child looks forward to certain things that symbolize that they are no longer sick. The nails might have been that for her.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Why did they almost refuse to make your pizza?
edit on 26-2-2015 by Bone75 because: Wasn't very nice

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Anyafaj

Touching, but you're full of crap. Why would they refuse to make the pizza when you weren't even with him? You're story was good enough without the exaggeration.

Because in 1985 they didn't make those kinds of personal pan pizzas. They only made Pepperoni, or Supreme. They didn't put JUST pepperoni, black olive, and mushroom on a personal pan. They ONLY did this for Small, Medium, or Large. I wanted a Personal Pan as I couldn't tolerate much food yet.

edit on 2/26/2015 by Anyafaj because: I accept the unvoiced apology.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well I do apologize, but you made it sound like you almost didn't get your pizza because you were sick, not because you wanted something special.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

No no, not at all. I might have been a little unclear, but I was agreeing with you.

\m/ \m/

(I was gonna be hip and saw this 'smily' earlier and thought it was a fist bump but it turns out it's the devil's horn sign, lol)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

That's what I was thinking! I would be more afraid of that dear little girl being in a place where many different people go everyday. Probably not the most hygienic place around.

I hope she had fun otherwise, though, and hopefully she was able to look past that person's ugly attitude.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj
Salon turned her away because she couldn't stand

A teenage cancer patient out on a special day at the mall after four months in the hospital was turned away from a nail salon because she was in a wheelchair.

I knew as soon as I read the OP and story that Anyafaj linked there would be at least one post placing childhood cancer and two boys kissing in the same category before the second page.

ATS you never disappoint.
edit on 26-2-2015 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Totally thought it was a fist bump.

a reply to: TheLaughingGod

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Well I do apologize, but you made it sound like you almost didn't get your pizza because you were sick, not because you wanted something special.

I'm sorry I didn't clarify. No I just had been on an IV fluid drip for awhile because of the spinal surgery and then the coma, so it had been awhile with no solid food. Now and then, I was allowed ice chips, or even a broken piece of frozen ice popsicle. But that had been about it. I had to wait until I could attempt solid foods. By the time I was allowed I was STARVING!

I had almost died from the spinal surgery because I had lost 6 bags of blood during a 9 hour surgery that was supposed to take 3 hours. Not to mention, they only thought I lost 4 bags of blood, so that's how much they replaced and that's why I went into a coma for almost 3 weeks afterwards. (A little over 2 weeks) I could hear everyone talking around me, I could see them coming and going. I almost died in the coma as well when I began throwing up on my own bile. My stepmother was there and called for the nurses, who called for the docs. I remember all this. They shoved a tube down my nose into my throat to go into my stomach to prevent it from happening again. It took them 2 weeks to realize I needed more blood for me to come out of the coma. Once I got 2 more bags of blood, I began to awaken.

Then I had to be fitted for a cast from went from my shoulders to my hips all around my stomach to back. I had to stand in this weird open Iron Man contraption while they wrapped the cast around me, then once it dried, used a saw to cut a hole in the belly to make breathing easier. Sleep was so difficult in that thing! No showering for almost a year! If I wanted to wash my hair, I had to climb onto the stool, lie on the kitchen counter while my dad washed my hair in the kitchen sink. It was sponge baths for a year. Ugh! I was so glad to get that off! Then it was no diving into a pool for 2 years and no falling!

It's been 30 years, because they no longer use that rod in this country and only use it in third world countries, I have problems with my back now. It causes disk degeneration, which I have. Nerve damage, again I have. And can break in the patients back, paralyzing the patient. Hasn't happened yet, but my restrictions are, no lifting over 5 pounds, no standing more than 15 minutes, no sitting more than 15 minutes, no falling period, no hits to the back, including car accidents, slipping and falling on ice, no bungee cord, no sky diving, no horseback riding, nothing fun essentially. Ahhh well, I wasn't planning it anyway. LOL
edit on 2/26/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: InFriNiTee
There's a law in my state that salons have to have wheelchair access, and must cater to those with disabilities that put them in one. I hope she sues the socks right off of that place. If this practice is not illegal in her state, it should be!

Why would it be illegal? They have the right to refuse anyone they want to for any reason... Yeah, it's messed up but I don't see any reason why it would be illegal or any reason why it should be illegal.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join