It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer patient, 13, turned away from nail salon because she was in wheelchair

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Salon turned her away because she couldn't stand

A teenage cancer patient out on a special day at the mall after four months in the hospital was turned away from a nail salon because she was in a wheelchair.

Patricia Moore, 13, was finally home after undergoing 12 rounds of radiation and six rounds of chemotherapy for a tumor in her nervous system.

When Patricia and Shannon arrived at Queen's Nails in Palmdale, California, they were immediately turned away.

The nail technicians took one look at Patricia and said no, Shannon told CBS Los Angeles. One employee later said he could not give Patricia a manicure because she 'cannot stand'.

'I cannot do it, because she lie down like that, I cannot do that,' he told CBS.

Incredibly sad for this beautiful young lady who's already been through a lot in life. I sincerely hope her mother was able to find a salon, in the meantime, who was willing to do this young lady's nails with no issue.

On a lighter note.

Queen's Nail employee Long Nguyen personally apologized to Patricia and told her she was welcome at the salon 'anytime', and that he would personally take care of her.

Nguyen said the salon never intended to hurt Patricia's feelings and that they hoped they could have a 'positive relationship with this 'amazing young lady'.

He added that the salon is now working on being more aware and compassionate, as well as more accommodating.

I hope this is true and not just saying it to get the bad publicity to go away. I guess a "we'll shall see" approach is called for. I hope a follow up will be done, but somehow I doubt it.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

This young woman can go and have cancer somewhere else if she so chooses and should stop messing with other people's liberty.

cough

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   
There's a law in my state that salons have to have wheelchair access, and must cater to those with disabilities that put them in one. I hope she sues the socks right off of that place. If this practice is not illegal in her state, it should be!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

OK this is going to be harsh and not politically correct but honest. These nail salons are mostly run by first generation illegal or legal immigrants. Back in the home country things are very different and truth be told not very friendly or compassionate.

Americans seem to have the romantic view of everyone being so nice outside the US.......This is not the truth.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

OK this is going to be harsh and not politically correct but honest. These nail salons are mostly run by first generation illegal or legal immigrants. Back in the home country things are very different and truth be told not very friendly or compassionate.

Americans seem to have the romantic view of everyone being so nice outside the US.......This is not the truth.

I can understand that and have been in them. As I said, I hope they were able to find one that WAS able to accommodate them and am glad the employee of the old salon, was more progressive than the other employee and personally apologized and was actually willing to work on her.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I understand that.
But they chose to start a business here in the US, where we have laws in most states to protect from this type of behavior, and most certainly need to follow those laws.

If they have a law protecting this young lady in California, they deserve to be shut down.

Wouldn't she be protected under federal law?

Public accommodations must comply with basic non-discrimination requirements that prohibit exclusion, segregation, and unequal treatment. They also must comply with specific requirements related to architectural standards for new and altered buildings; reasonable modifications to policies, practices and procedures; effective communication with people with hearing, vision, or speech disabilities; and other access requirements. Additionally, public accommodations must remove barriers in existing buildings where it is easy to do so without much difficulty or expense, given the public accommodations resources.

Source
edit on 26-2-2015 by chiefsmom because: looked it up

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   

That nail salon is gonna be hurting after the government sues them because they violated the ADA.

Arm the Lawyers and set them to sue!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
a reply to: SubTruth

I understand that.
But they chose to start a business here in the US, where we have laws in most states to protect from this type of behavior, and most certainly need to follow those laws.

If they have a law protecting this young lady in California, they deserve to be shut down.

Wouldn't she be protected under federal law?

Public accommodations must comply with basic non-discrimination requirements that prohibit exclusion, segregation, and unequal treatment. They also must comply with specific requirements related to architectural standards for new and altered buildings; reasonable modifications to policies, practices and procedures; effective communication with people with hearing, vision, or speech disabilities; and other access requirements. Additionally, public accommodations must remove barriers in existing buildings where it is easy to do so without much difficulty or expense, given the public accommodations resources.

Source

Shut down due to one member of staffs bad call?

Maybe the person was new to America? Maybe the person didn't want to risk hurting the young girl? Nobody knows other than the couple of people who were there, yet people are saying shut them down & press charges based on assumptions from a through paragraphs on a website.

I think this could have been dealt with much better by the parent, if she had gone and asked for management I doubt it would have gone this far. Now the company's owner is going to be effected negatively and possibly the person who declined the girl will loose their job.

A negative situation dealt with by more negativity is never good.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

This young woman can go and have cancer somewhere else if she so chooses and should stop messing with other people's liberty.

cough

I will play devil's advocate here. I wouldn't want to be that intimate with a random sick person either. I am not a healthcare professional...I don't know what they have or what I could catch...and I sure don't get paid enough to take that chance in a nail salon. There is a big difference between getting them an ice cream and getting all 'hands on'.

ETA: As a hairstylist would you want to cut the hair of a sick person who clearly has the flu or worse? You should have the ability to not perform personal services for ill people if you feel your health could be at risk.
edit on 2015/2/26 by Metallicus because: eta

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I hope they sue the # out them. This is disgusting.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

cough

I will play devil's advocate here. I wouldn't want to be that intimate with a random sick person either. I am not a healthcare professional...I don't know what they have or what I could catch...and I sure don't get paid enough to take that chance in a nail salon. There is a big difference between getting them an ice cream and getting all 'hands on'.

It's cancer...... You can't catch cancer.....

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AnyafajThat's flat-out illegal here in Ontario.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Are you serious??? She has cancer not Ebola. If anyone isn't aware of that it's as simple as pulling her caretaker aside and asking politely if needed. After that I don't see an issue unless you think she should treated different because someone else's ignorance.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Your beliefs or fears are not protected. Her rights are.

edit on 2 26 2015 by retiredTxn because: Left a word out.

edit on 2 26 2015 by retiredTxn because: Bad day. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: retiredTxn

For good reason. His belief and fear in this case is also incorrect and invalid. Punishment may be going too far but he should at least be corrected.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

edit on 2 26 2015 by retiredTxn because: Fell off my rocker. Sorry if I offended anyone.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Are you serious??? She has cancer not Ebola. If anyone isn't aware of that it's as simple as pulling her caretaker aside and asking politely if needed. After that I don't see an issue unless you think she should treated different because someone else's ignorance.

I don't know what she has if she comes in and looks deathly ill. I probably just am letting my phobia of feet get the better of me. In fairness, I wouldn't want to touch any random strangers feet.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

cough

I've never heard of cancer EVER being contagious, but hey, I guess some now think it's a yeast infection, soooooo, whatever floats your boat. Either way, turning her away because they're not accommodated for wheelchairs is against the ADA, therefore illegal.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I don't know what she has if she comes in and looks deathly ill. I probably just am letting my phobia of feet get the better of me. In fairness, I wouldn't want to touch any random strangers feet.

She wanted a manicure (hands), not a pedicure (feet), you're clear dear.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

She wanted a manicure (hands), not a pedicure (feet), you're clear dear.

Thank God! I can deal with hands, lol.
edit on 2015/2/26 by Metallicus because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join