It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monster Black Hole Discovered. 12 Billion times the Mass of the Sun and Bright as 420 Trillion Suns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Now this sounds scary! The sun as huge as it is, and this thing is 12 BILLION times that?!?!
I am not an expert on black holes by any means, so do any smart ATS'ers know if something like this could ever cause a threat to the Earth? Interesting read at least.

The discovery of this quasar, named SDSS J0100+2802, marks an important step in understanding how quasars, the most powerful objects in the universe, have evolved from the earliest epoch, only 900 million years after the Big Bang, which is thought to have happened 13.7 billion years ago. The quasar, with its central black hole mass of 12 billion solar masses and the luminosity of 420 trillion suns, is at a distance of 12.8 billion light-years from Earth.

Read more at: phys.org...

phys.org...

Shining with the equivalent of 420 trillion suns, the new quasar is seven times brighter than the most distant quasar known (which is 13 billion years away). It harbors a black hole with mass of 12 billion solar masses, proving it to be the most luminous quasar with the most massive black hole among all the known high redshift (very distant) quasars.

Read more at: phys.org...
:
edit on 26-2-2015 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

Now compared to that we aren't even bacteria in space,more close to atoms I think ...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It's not saying it is 12 billion times bigger than the Sun, it has 12 billion times the mass of the Sun.
2nd line.
edit on 26-2-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
It's not saying it is 12 billion times bigger than the Sun, it has 12 billion times the mass of the Sun.
2nd line.

Ahh, good point...thanks
ETA: I have fixed OP title

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
My understanding is that current models of the Universe can't explain how the 'Black Hole' could get that large that fast.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I have a question, born out of ignorance.

If it is a "black" hole, how can it be brighter than the sun?

Or does it mean the material being sucked into it is what gives it its brightness?

I really dont have a clue.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

With all the stuff out now that says black holes don't exist, this is interesting.

So we've found the largest ever thing that may or may not exist.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

With all the stuff out now that says black holes don't exist, this is interesting.

So we've found the largest ever thing that may or may not exist.

Its science man, science.

lol.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

If it is a "black" hole, how can it be brighter than the sun?

My answer to that is it is a black hole gone Novae…

There isn't just one big bang, there are many. Have to be if the Universe is infinite. One day they'll figure out how big and far away these "things" are.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

OK. There can only be one conclusion. We have this huge place where things go into, a ying. Right? If my complex math is worthy anything, there must be an equally sized hydrant, a yang, spewing out matter somewhere else. Maybe the exact same matter or recycled materials? "The Universe does not play dice with its stuff," Einstein said, I think.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

The cartoonish scifi renditions of black holes don't exsist.. They are just stars that have gotten so massive their Gravity is so powerful the light can't escape.... It's just a star.. No special portal or wormhole... No magical invisible object. Just a fire burning so bright it doesn't want to share it's beauty..

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

OK. There can only be one conclusion. We have this huge place where things go into, a ying. Right? If my complex math is worthy anything, there must be an equally sized hydrant, a yang, spewing out matter somewhere else. Maybe the exact same matter or recycled materials? "The Universe does not play dice with its stuff," Einstein said, I think.

It was Einstein, but he said "GOD doesnt play dice with the universe"

I always thought that for every black hole sucking in matter, there must be an opposite throwing stuff out into maybe an alternate universe where the laws of this universe are reversed. Maybe thats "dark matter".
Harmony seems to be a fine balance. And balance implies duality.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

More silly depictions... The things it sucks in just add to its mass and help retain light.. It's a cycle.. More mass gives it more gracity which allows it to suck in more mass which ... You get the idea..

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Already posted
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Here are quotes of his:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.

Not to get sidetracked it's just you corrected that poster but really he wasn't talking about a 'god' in the sense it's typically meant.
edit on 26-2-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aliensun

The "White Hole" theory - I've read some on this. White Holes - PBS

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

Here are quotes of his:

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with the fates and actions of human beings.

Not to get sidetracked it's just you corrected that poster but really he wasn't talking about a 'god' in the sense it's typically meant.

I didnt define God, Ill leave that to the theologians to fight about, I just said what he said.
edit on 20152America/Chicago02pm2pmThu, 26 Feb 2015 18:43:04 -06000215 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

from your Phys.Org Link...

SDSS J0100+2802, marks an important step in understanding how quasars, the most powerful objects in the universe, have evolved from the earliest epoch, only 900 million years after the Big Bang, which is thought to have happened 13.7 billion years ago.

will the academics ever wake up.... the super-hyper massive Quasar is not born only 900 Million years after the Big-Bang

instead it shows us that the particular section of Space where the massive BH /Quasar is located is very likely directly opposite of where the general area where the actual big-bang took place...
so the Quasar SDSS etc. likely traveled the 14 billion light years on the far side of 'center' to the present point some 14 billion light years on the other side of the center point...

which might make the 18 Billion X Sun mass object about 28 Billion years old,...
not just a mere 900 million years younger than the big-bang that present linear thinking concludes

the observable cosmos is only 14 billion LY in diameter--- which is not to say that the real/material universe of Stars is only that size too !! it may indeed be much larger or even an oblong shape

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   

I know. Your all CAPS seemed suggestive. I was merely clarifying he most certainly didn't mean god in a way theology would see it.

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread

Monster black hole 12 billion times the mass of the sun discovered

top topics

join