It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars Can't Be Seen from Outer Space

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

Please do check out the links I gave and you'll see why Earth's atmosphere isn't a player in this game.

I see what you mean.
stereo-ssc.nascom.nasa.gov...
The SECCHI coronagraph was modified by for space use by Goddard, but I don't know all the details. Looks like they added the Lyman hydrogen line filter and special glass for the lenses? From Earth though there are camera images of the total eclipse showing the corona, but no images by camera from space showing the same, other than photoshopped ones.
The image from Proba2 on this page is EUV, doesn't count.
www.universetoday.com...
Petit did photograph an eclipse from the ISS, but was using a filter/s, and the image was taken with the eclipse being viewed close to Earths rim. From the cupola they are always looking through Earths atmosphere. So the question is still not answered due to unknowns about the SECCHI instrument. If they can not take a photo from space, which should look like this,
a4size-ska.deviantart.com...
something is still not right. A simple experiment would answer the question, NASA won't do it.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN
a reply to: DenyObfuscation
From Earth though there are camera images of the total eclipse showing the corona, but no images by camera from space showing the same, other than photoshopped ones.

SOHO's LASCO C2 and C3 cameras photograph the Sun's corona in visible spectrum, from space: sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...

These coronagraphs monitor the solar corona by using an optical system to create, in effect, an artificial solar eclipse. The white light coronagraphs C2 and C3 produce images of the corona over much of the visible spectrum

The corona has also been photographed by Apollo astronauts on a few occasions:
spaceflight.nasa.gov...
spaceflight.nasa.gov...
edit on 5-11-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

And photographed stars and planets in it, as GaryN knows full well - he''s been shown photos of them and pointed at my site enough times.

Skylab also took white light coronagraphs, which you can find if you can be bothered to buy the conference proceedings or journals.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
there is one thing to remember, never argue with an idiot, people may not be able to tell the difference
edit on 6-11-2015 by bigx001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

The corona has also been photographed by Apollo astronauts on a few occasions: spaceflight.nasa.gov... spaceflight.nasa.gov...

Stop wasting my time.
history.nasa.gov...

And the astronaut did not even need to be able to see the corona, as if the computer knew which window mount the camera was fastened to, it could point the camera in the exact location at the exact time to observe it.

eandt.theiet.org...

I guess it's me wasting my time though trying to show the huge holes in NASAs science, or lack of it, on a Conspiracy site obviously run by and frequented by protectors of the Mainstream cow poop.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: GaryN

Please provide any sort of proof that any of the following projects was faked by NASA: Voyager I, Pioneer 11, Voyager II, Magellan, Galileo, Cassini–Huygens, and the plethora of Mars missions. You can probably drum up one or two items on a few of these missions, but in order to for your ideas to be valid none of these missions can be real. According to your central theme, planets would be holographic projections as well; only able to be viewed on the surface of Earth. If even one of these missions can be substantiated, then the whole house of cards that is your premise collapses.

To quite an extent, I like to think outside of the box and envision the universe as it can be, not as we're necessarily being told it is. Science is created by humans who are just as fallible as you and me. Some of the more theoretical areas should be treated as best fit solutions and not concrete realities... But come on man..... at some point, you have to accept certain axioms; the Earth is not flat, the Earth revolves around the sun, the dots of light above you are celestial bodies' whose mass can, at the very least, be estimated to such and such a precision; with not some insanely large error rate.

I'd to think that the OP and then you, GaryN, were embarking on this campaign as some sort of thought experiment-- but after 21 pages, I highly doubt this is the case as people have posted evidence... you have responded... and then they have exited the thread with a "I did my best, someone else pick up the torch" final post.

Please provide proof that we have never sent probes to other planets within our system... or

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: GaryN

Stop wasting my time??

Oh the irony.

Jupiter from lunar orbit in the solar corona AS17-154-23647:

The photo taken by Apollo 11 was taken by a hand-held camera, and the corona was observed with their eyes.
edit on 7-11-2015 by onebigmonkey because: additional point

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 03:45 AM
link   

The corona has also been photographed by Apollo astronauts on a few occasions: spaceflight.nasa.gov... spaceflight.nasa.gov...

Stop wasting my time.
history.nasa.gov...

And the astronaut did not even need to be able to see the corona, as if the computer knew which window mount the camera was fastened to, it could point the camera in the exact location at the exact time to observe it.

So why did Henize say: "Okay, Al. We have one minute to LOS. All systems are looking good, and enjoy that solar corona."? What was there to enjoy if Al wouldn't be able to see it?

Anyhoo, the calculations and the setting up of the cameras in advance in no way necessitates that the corona would have been invisible to human eyes. This was simply an activity planned in advance, and in space it pays to do your calculations.

Oh, and I just noticed that once again you're weaseling your way out from the situation: my post was in response to this:

From Earth though there are camera images of the total eclipse showing the corona, but no images by camera from space showing the same

I proved you wrong, you didn't like it, and tried to shift focus again.
edit on 7-11-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
From the Apollo 11 transcripts:

071:34:16 Collins: It's quite an eerie sight. There is a very marked three-dimensional aspect of having the Sun's corona coming from behind the Moon the way it is.

071:34:31 Aldrin: And it looks as though - I guess what's giving it that three-dimensional effect, the Earthshine. I can see Tycho fairly clearly - at least if I'm right side-up, I believe it's Tycho, in Moonshine - I mean, in Earthshine. And, of course, I can see the sky is lit all the way around the Moon, even on the limb of it where there's no Earthshine or sunshine.

071:39:51 McCandless: Roger. And how far out can you see the corona extending? Over.

071:40:13 Armstrong: Well, its a bit like zodiacal light. It keeps going out farther and farther.

071:56:00 Armstrong: And, Houston, I'd suggest that along the ecliptic line we can see corona light out to two lunar diameters from this location. The bright light only extends out about an eighth to a quarter of the lunar radius.

So, there we have Apollo 11 not being able to see the solar corona. If they needed to move the windows they would not have used the AGC to do it - that was not its job.

Have a couple more quotes:

You start to see Earth as a finite place, then when you get high enough you start to see the curvature, then you start to see the whole disk of the Earth, then you start to see it in juxtaposition to the moon, and the stars become bright because you don't have the atmosphere to block the light rays.
Ed Mitchell, ‘The Wonder of it all’ documentary.

The stars, the sights, the sounds…they were all familiar.
James Lovell describing his second Apollo flight at a lecture I went to last week.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: onebigmonkey
Thanks a lot for those. The Apollo Flight Journal is a veritable well of information about what took place on the way to the Moon and back.

The introduction to Apollo 11 Day 4 mentions:

On waking, the spacecraft passes into the Moon's shadow and they see star constellations and the solar corona clearly for the first time.

And to answer GaryN's previous question about why Armstrong (in my post incorrectly identified as Collins) reported that they were able to see stars and constellations only just then, that's the answer - the spacecraft passed into the Moon's shadow. From this I gather that sunlight shining through the windows provided too much light for their eyes to adjust enough.

And here's the audio file of the transcript: history.nasa.gov...
Straight out of the horse's (Neil's) mouth, good luck trying to go against that.
edit on 7-11-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

The AFJ often gets forgotten next to the ALSJ, and it isn't as complete, but it does have a lot of explanation about what is going on compared with the ALSJ.

I was fortunate to meet the AFJ editor (and author of 'How Apollo Flew to the Moon') last weekend, along with one of the other major contributors- very nice chaps they are too.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: slip2break

Please provide any sort of proof that any of the following projects was faked by NASA: Voyager I, Pioneer 11, Voyager II, Magellan, Galileo, Cassini–Huygens, and the plethora of Mars missions.

What the heck makes you think that I think any of the missions have been faked?? I have the greatest respect for the science and engineering that goes into these missions, though I do believe the costs are greatly inflated by the corporations that milk the taxpayer to the hilt to get the job done. India and china have shown it can be done much cheaper.
What I do believe is that the instruments that 'see' these objects out there are seeing things no human eye could, either because the wavelengtts are outside of the range our eyes can detect, or are far too dim to be seen even by a fully dark adapted eye, or that the EM radiation travels in a form that our eyes just can not register, the wavefronts just can not be 'focused' by our eyes, which are designed to see the type of light we experience at the Earths surface. From Earth, it is the atmosphere that creates the light we CAN see, from the UV and up emissions of the objects out there.
Again, no scientific tests of the visibility of objects from outside of Earths atmosphere have ever been done, and the word of the astronauts are confusing because things can be seen from LEO if they are looking through sufficient of Earths atmosphere to create visible light. There are enough reports, starting with Armstrong, that say it is pitch black out there, so why no tests from NASA to disprove what he, and others, have said.
The fact that we have a space station that can not see space is in itself incredible, no windows on the stars. Well, there are windows that can see deep space, but we don't hear much about them from the US, and we nothing about them from the Russian or Japanese modules, which have lots of windows, some of them facing outwards.

@OBM

The photo taken by Apollo 11 was taken by a hand-held camera, and the corona was observed with their eyes.

I guess I let my self in for that by not being precise enough in my post, but the image was taken with the high speed UV film. I didn't say they didn't see the corona by eye, I've read enough of the transcripts to have seen what they say, and have told you that UV will cause the lunar dust, or hydrogen. atmosphere to glow at visible wavelengths, but the fact is the images were taken in UV because it is the dominant form of EM radiation out there.
I said "And the astronaut did not even need to be able to see the corona, as if the computer knew which window mount the camera was fastened to, it could point the camera in the exact location at the exact time to observe it." I did not say they could not, I said they DIDN'T NEED to be able to see it, as the computer knew where to look. Just as I can use Celestia to be able to predict what will be visible at some future time, so could the NASA supercomputer.

@wildespace

Oh, and I just noticed that once again you're weaseling your way out from the situation: my post was in response to this: From Earth though there are camera images of the total eclipse showing the corona, but no images by camera from space showing the same

With the UV film. The corona is visible from Earth because the atmosphere converts that UV to visible light.

But you all ignore things like the Chang'e camera not being able to see stars from the pitch black Lunar night time surface, or HiRISE, the most powerful camera sent to another planet, similarly unable to see stars from Mars orbit. The tests must be done in order to put an end to all this he-said she-said confusion. I'll gladly eat my hat if NASA can PROVE beyond any doubt that they can take images of anything, with a normal camera, when looking away from Earth from the ISS. Are you all frightened of real scientific experiments? I'll accept a consensus of ISS EVA astronauts who have had chance to look into the void too, but NASA will not convene a conference to allow the strightforward question to be asked of them all. "When looking AWAY from the Earth from LEO, during the night time portion of the ISS orbit, describe what can be seen". How many would like to hear that question asked, or are you frightened by what answer they may give?

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   

I guess I let my self in for that by not being precise enough in my post, but the image was taken with the high speed UV film.

Sorry, it wasn't. It was a regular black&white high-speed film. archive.org...

I didn't say they didn't see the corona by eye, I've read enough of the transcripts to have seen what they say

So what was your point, then? You seem to agree that astronauts saw the corona, but make an issue out of the fact that NASA made calculations and planned the shots in advance.

and have told you that UV will cause the lunar dust, or hydrogen. atmosphere to glow at visible wavelengths

The lunar "atmosphere" extends out to two lunar diameters?

071:39:51 McCandless: Roger. And how far out can you see the corona extending? Over. [Long pause.]

071:40:13 Armstrong: Well, its a bit like zodiacal light. It keeps going out farther and farther. We'll talk about it a little more later.

071:56:00 Armstrong: And, Houston, I'd suggest that along the ecliptic line we can see corona light out to two lunar diameters from this location.

[The outer parts of the corona are known as the F-corona and represent sunlight reflected by interplanetary dust particles. In the plane of the ecliptic beyond roughly 40 solar radii, it is often called zodiacal light. At that distance, it is about 500 times fainter than the inner parts of the corona visible from the ground during a total solar eclipse. What Neil is reporting out as far as two lunar diameters (80 solar radii) may be light coming from the outer F-corona.]

That's some very faint light they saw with their own eyes.

But you all ignore things like the Chang'e camera not being able to see stars from the pitch black Lunar night time surface, or HiRISE, the most powerful camera sent to another planet, similarly unable to see stars from Mars orbit.

Erm... mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

The tests must be done in order to put an end to all this he-said she-said confusion. I'll gladly eat my hat if NASA can PROVE beyond any doubt that they can take images of anything, with a normal camera, when looking away from Earth from the ISS. Are you all frightened of real scientific experiments? I'll accept a consensus of ISS EVA astronauts who have had chance to look into the void too, but NASA will not convene a conference to allow the strightforward question to be asked of them all. "When looking AWAY from the Earth from LEO, during the night time portion of the ISS orbit, describe what can be seen". How many would like to hear that question asked, or are you frightened by what answer they may give?

The only confusion created is by you. Why can't you accept photos and written/verbal evidence of astronauts seeing stars and other space objects in cislunar space?
edit on 8-11-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Please provide any sort of proof that any of the following projects was faked by NASA: Voyager I, Pioneer 11, Voyager II, Magellan, Galileo, Cassini–Huygens, and the plethora of Mars missions.

What I do believe is that the instruments that 'see' these objects out there are seeing things no human eye could, either because the wavelengtts are outside of the range our eyes can detect, or are far too dim to be seen even by a fully dark adapted eye, or that the EM radiation travels in a form that our eyes just can not register, the wavefronts just can not be 'focused' by our eyes, which are designed to see the type of light we experience at the Earths surface. From Earth, it is the atmosphere that creates the light we CAN see, from the UV and up emissions of the objects out there.

Please provide any sort of evidence for these statements. Preferably a peer reviewed paper, as you hold science (and engineering) in such high esteem.

And arandom video I found from the ISS. Stars clearly visible.

But back to my first point.... peer reviewed paper please.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
This supports conspiracies where academics suggested the Stars were actually satellites full stop go to reply

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: slip2break

Please provide any sort of evidence for these statements. Preferably a peer reviewed paper, as you hold science (and engineering) in such high esteem.

And arandom video I found from the ISS. Stars clearly visible.

But back to my first point.... peer reviewed paper please.

GaryN's excuses are:

1. Such videos or photos from the ISS are taken looking through the Earth's atmosphere. (even though the atmosphere is over 100 km below the ISS)

2. Scientists are in cahoots with each other to keep the public in the dark (see what I did there?) about not being able to see any light in space, so such a paper would never get published in peer-reviewed sources. (even though why they would want to keep this a secret defies any logic)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I guess I let my self in for that by not being precise enough in my post, but the image was taken with the high speed UV film. I didn't say they didn't see the corona by eye, I've read enough of the transcripts to have seen what they say, and have told you that UV will cause the lunar dust, or hydrogen. atmosphere to glow at visible wavelengths, but the fact is the images were taken in UV because it is the dominant form of EM radiation out there.

The photograph was not taken with UV film.

The Apollo 11 shots were done on type 3400 B&W film - the remainder of the magazine shows normal pictures of the moon from orbit.

The Apollo 17 shot I linked to was shot in type 2485 B&W film, and again that magazine also shows standard images of the moon.

Likewise Apollo 15's corona photographs in magazine 98.

UV film was used during Apollo to photograph Earth ans the moon, as well as in the UV telescope, but not to photograph the solar corona.
edit on 8-11-2015 by onebigmonkey because: parsing

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

But you all ignore things like the Chang'e camera not being able to see stars from the pitch black Lunar night time surface, or HiRISE, the most powerful camera sent to another planet, similarly unable to see stars from Mars orbit. The tests must be done in order to put an end to all this he-said she-said confusion. I'll gladly eat my hat if NASA can PROVE beyond any doubt that they can take images of anything, with a normal camera, when looking away from Earth from the ISS. Are you all frightened of real scientific experiments? I'll accept a consensus of ISS EVA astronauts who have had chance to look into the void too, but NASA will not convene a conference to allow the strightforward question to be asked of them all. "When looking AWAY from the Earth from LEO, during the night time portion of the ISS orbit, describe what can be seen". How many would like to hear that question asked, or are you frightened by what answer they may give?

Any camera on the near side of the moon has problems with Earthshine during its dark phase: a 'new' moon equals a full Earth which as anyone knows is capable of lighting up the lunar surface quite substantially - you can see the effect from here.

Your position here is just another 'If I ran the zoo' fallacy - NASA doesn't do what you think it should, therefore they are hiding something. This is despite the numerous pieces of experimental equipment that is reported on regularly, the myriad of scientific papers submitted to conferences (such as the ones related to Skylab), and more importantly the actual photographs and quotes from astronauts that have wrong time and time again. If you'll accept a consensus from astronauts who have looked into the void, then you should be ready to admit you are utterly wrong by now, given that I have pointed you at a page that does just that describes astronaut views of stars many times.

Don't bother eating your hat, you need it to talk out of.

Have an image from LADEE's star tracker:

en.wikipedia.org...#/media/File:LADEE-FirstStarTrackerImagesFromMoon-20140208.gif

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
On the way back from the moon, Apollo 15 mounted their Hasselblad camera in the window, stopped the passive thermal control of the command module and took photographs of the sun, specifically to calibrate the corona images they had taken in lunar orbit.

They used B&W film.

Here is one of the images they took:

The white specks in the images are highly unlikely to be stars, given the brightness of the sun and the short exposures used. They are more likely to be what is technically known as 'bits of crap on the window', although Venus may well be in shot somewhere (see below).

They are not looking at the moon, they are not looking anywhere near Earth, as Stellarium shows for the time recorded in the mission that this occurred:

There are 4 of these images in total.
edit on 8-11-2015 by onebigmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   
stars....

edit on 8-11-2015 by anonymous1legion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join