It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just watched my first American tv commercial for medicene. WOW.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
a reply to: Aldakoopa

We have a few but they dont tend to focus on fuel economy as a benifit.

In seriousness there pretty useless over here due to the weather and what can you put in the back of a pickup that pikeys will not steal?

Pikey... there's an interesting term.

Simplest solution: remove whatever you are hauling at the end of your trip, and bring it inside instead of leaving it in the truck; especially if it's valuable.

Where I live there's more trucks than cars. (I actually think there's a country song about that... Heh.)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

We have a more simple solution than taking everything out every day, we call them transit vans

For those that don't know here is a pretty good holywood interpretation of pikeys.

edit on 26/2/2015 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Well, yeah... If you have tools and equipment that you need to leave in the vehicle then a van makes more sense... Or a box truck. Or a toolbox for smaller tools and stuff.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

As I said earlier it's a different culture, in the UK the only people that tend to have pick ups are gardeners/landscapers and well pikeys.

We tend to use cars and vans and for the dirty stuff trailers as the wather makes pickups pretty unpractical.

It does not mean that we don't think there cool though just a bit of a chocalate fireguard over here.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Welcome to America, bubba. This is the place where people freak about measles but don't speak of our Sugar Problem. The place where Christians hate gays and think killing Muslims is ok. Land of the swine, home of the fat ... and everyone hates the color red and Putin, and most people have ED judging by the mountains of weenis pills.
edit on 26-2-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
What really bothers me about the rapid-fire side effect listing is the verbiage:
"Has caused cancer in certain people."
"Can cause sudden death."
"People have experienced certain fatal symptoms."

For a 'fun' drinking game, drink a shot each time you hear a side effect that can kill. You'll never last through a commercial break.

These are all things that the drug companies know - because they happened! Each and every advertised drug, from sore elbows, to 'restless leg syndrome,' to 'certain heart conditions NOT CAUSED BY arrhythmia..." has a list of side effects known by the drug manufacturers to kill. People have died in the testing (ah, but they signed a waiver....), or in use. And nobody does a thing about it. Sure there are some lawsuits, but the payout for these is more than compensated by the possible profits. Strangely, the WHO, the FDA, and CDC just let this stuff through. No one goes to prison either. As noted above in this thread, thousands die from drug side effects every year. Oddly, the US doesn't invade their labs and 'restore democracy!' I thought that's what happened when people killed innocent Americans. Oh, right....it's a 'job creator.' Profit>People.

The other side of this is that these are mostly 'forever drugs.' People will take these for the rest of their life - however short or long that may be. That's guaranteed income.

Vaccines, antibiotics, and cures aren't liked by the drug companies. You take them once, and you don't need them anymore. You get cured, and you don't need to buy their drug!
Hence, there are very few of them, even though we keep reading of accidental findings of certain cures that suddenly disappear. The drug companies are certainly slow in developing any new ones.

My late mother was slowly killed by the side effects of an arthritis drug. Sure, hundreds had died from these same side effects, but that didn't stop the makers selling it to export... To countries where it wasn't widely known to be a killer.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

eh for a truck that is actually pretty good my plow truck gets 10 if im lucky but it serves its purpose (so far knock on wood) but hey at least were making progress my dads new jeep gets from kalispel to the bay area in ca on one and a quarter tanks of gas as long as hes not towing a boat

but yeah the drug adverts are nuts over here just wait tell the states that legalized certian substances start getting those commercials and infomercials late at night .

you want to see some hilarious ones google the old infomercials from like the late 90's there is some comedy gold right there ,they would constantly play them in the old days late night

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

i think (going off a movie here if any ones seen brad pit in snatch he was a "pikey") that pikey is slang for like "trailer park" people or to a lesser extent rednecks in the usa

en.wikipedia.org... yeah "trailer people" is the polite version

www.urbandictionary.com... urban dictionary makes it seem they are more like our tweakers then just trailer dwellers though so i think it can have different connotations for different situations

and jsut because the op may get a good laugh out of them

www.youtube.com... wont imbed as some may not be the best things to be watching at work
but some of the random funny commercials from usa
www.youtube.com... 10 worst infomercials from usa

www.youtube.com... on scary drug commercials just listen to how sad this add sounds and listen to the side effects an anti depressant that can cause suicidal thoughts.....

www.youtube.com... old one from jeff foxworthy on side effects of drugs

www.youtube.com... a parody of every us drug add ever

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I think that older people (than myself) think the idea of more medicine is wonderful, and they've been waiting their whole lives for miracle cures and marvels. Most people I know who are a little younger (like myself), try as much as possible to take as few drugs as possible. We have a better understanding that there is no miracle cure, and that all the wonder drugs they've come up with in the past few decades have potentially horrible side-effects, and that mixing all those drugs together nearly guarantees that there is going to be some horrible drug interaction.

I also think that younger old people my age are embracing the idea that a longer life is not necessarily a better life, and that we don't want to go to extremes to the point where we outlive our bodies, our minds, or our money.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Your average commercial brake in America consists of two pharmaceutical ads. Followed by an ad informing users there is lawsuit against one of the drugs just advertised. I'm being 100% serious here! Pharmaceuticals are the 4th biggest cause of death in America. It's the #1 biggest cause of death in my life.

I have lost four of my friends, my grandmother, and almost lost my mother to pharmaceutical opiates. My mother had a stroke at the age of 40. The way they explained it to me was like this.

Smoking destroys your lungs.

Drinking destroys your liver.

Pharmaceutical opiates destroy you.
Anyone questioning that statement look up Oxycodon addictions...

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: InFriNiTee

I might be crazy, but I believe that in America you need to protect yourself even on forums when you type messages that have anything that could be misconstrued as "medical advice". I wouldn't want to ever get sued over "providing medical advice" and "not being a qualified physician/doctor". The way they are always changing laws with regards to the internet, the FDA may make a law that individuals can be sued for providing medical advice while not being qualified as medical doctors. I will probably end up being wrong about that, but its better to be safe than sorry!

Do you really know a medical doctor that is qualified? I don't? Every medical doctor I have had the unfortunate opportunity to visit only knows what the drug pushers tell them. And some even get kickbacks to push these poisons onto the public. I have had too many unfortunate experiences with supposedly professional doctors to ever fully trust any of them 100% ever again.

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Badgered1

What really bothers me about the rapid-fire side effect listing is the verbiage:
"Has caused cancer in certain people."
"Can cause sudden death."
"People have experienced certain fatal symptoms."
Listen again. It's more like:
"Cancer has occurred."
"Death has occurred."

See the difference? It's a list of possible side effects. What it means is that people have gotten cancer or died while using the medication. It does not mean that the medication caused it. People get cancer even when they don't use the medication. People die even when they don't use the medication.

For the record. I hate the ads too. But what about those lawyer ads; "If you have died while using such and such, call us now!"

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Listen again. It's more like:
"Cancer has occurred."
"Death has occurred."

Sometimes it's that, and sometimes it's "can cause such and such." You are being way too nice..

In fact most of the ones I have ever heard that mention death mention it as a side effect. They don't mention it as something that "can" happen..

The side effects, are clearly, listed in commercials.. The part where it's like "this can happen" is separate.

Chantix for instance has suicidal ACTIONS as a side effect, not a some people do this while taking thing..

The lawyer ads are bad too, but at least for those I feel like there is a common understanding that you are trying to steal money from someone, unless you deserve it somehow??? VIOXX was not good.... I knew a healthy alive person.. There was a proven direct relationship between being super healthy then taking a drug, and then having a stroke.. I won't see that person ever again. I miss him.
edit on 12-3-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
It's way more than that. What's funny is when they first come out...you don't ever hear what the drug is for. Then they morph into the one's you speak of. Their FDA approved. Here, their allowed to sort of advertise a new drug. Funny...first 17 seconds is what the drug is GOOD for then the rest is the possible side effects. They creat the drug...then the problem that it correct's. ARSE BACKWARDS.a reply to: nonspecific

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I had heard that there was a lot of medicene adverts and that they have to state certain things to comply with regulations but it was about 20 seconds of advert and then about 45 seconds of someone reading what seemed to be the whole information leaflet?

It went on for so long that I could not even remember what it was for never mind what it was called.

I feel for you guys if thats what you have to put up with every 7 minutes.

Trust me, it's the reason I refuse to get a tv at all.

I myself lived in Britain for a few years, and Spain a few more, and when I came back, I was shocked to find the constant and blatant pill pushing every commercial break. It was not that bad in 2005, though pharma commercials were starting to make their appearance. But when I returned in 2012.....

And then, as if advertising government sanctioned poisons weren't bad enough, now I learn things that were not formerly considered medical or psychiatric conditions now are, and they got a pill to "treat" it!

It pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
They come back to back in some stations. They also target the types of programming you watch to determine if you fall into the "needs those meds" catagory. I have a voice activated smart tv. I yell "Shutup" to mute the damn thing.

posted on Mar, 12 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   

a reply to: donktheclown

I can believe it, I was watching something the other day and with all the logo's adverts for other shows, tweets and stuff you could barely see what was going on.

Also why does American tv recap after every commercial? how poor is short term memory over there?
what did you say?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join