It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I just watched my first American tv commercial for medicene. WOW.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

I do not have tv either, just iplayer and netflix with a vpn to get the american content, the advert was on hulu.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
It's an interesting observation, but I feel for you! For some disturbing fun: Check out the old American commercials on Youtube then compare to what you see now.

Most people I know have moved on from cable. Why endure commercials when you have the net... most of it(can't say all) commercial free. Compared to the amount of commercials in a 24 min half hour show on cable networks, few to none on the net you can regain your sanity. Why wait for the five '0 clock news when it's faster and sometimes more info is provided, to observe social media. RIP a long dead medium: cable. But am sure it's demise is being blamed on dirty pirates!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I imagine it will go the way of other outdated mediums.

The very concept of "cable" in a "wireless" world is definatley on its way out.

In the UK today they announced that they intend to scrap our tv licence for a non opt out media levy on every household to fund the BBC as less and less people are watching tv any more.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

I got rid of TV.

I subscribed to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Shomi TV.

This. This so very much. I don't watch broadcast TV anymore at all, and I've been debating getting rid of Dish, but it does have some decent stuff I can't yet get on Amazon that's still ad-less.

I get all strangly when I have to listen to ads or watch programs with those banners at the bottom constantly wiggling and bouncing to get you to read the crap about another program that's not on yet. Not doing it.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: snowspirit

Have you noticed how cheerfully they go through the long list of nasty side effects?

No kidding !

It's hilarious to hear them rattle off 50 different side effects in 3.4 seconds...

"Side effects may include anal prolapse, blindness, cardiac arrest, bulbous skin lesions, intestinal polyps, kidney and liver failure, paralysis of the lower extremities, fatal abdominal pain, bladder incontinence, chronic diarrhea, acute systemic inflammatory response syndrome, lupus, hypothyroidism, acute pineal gland failure, erectile dysfunction, short-term memory loss, rheumatoid arthritis, pneumothorax, and death."

"Ask your doctor about our 60 day trial offer on sale now at Walgreens !"

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Pretty poor.

And cows provide milk.

Wait, what were we talking about?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

Previously on this thread....

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

The *point* of an American doctor is TO MAKE MONEY.

You'd be even more horrified to find out how much some people pay for health care in this country—even people who DO have insurance have to pay $100's of dollars in deductibles and co-pays.

Obamacare made it even worse. Now we get fined if we don't sign up for preposterously expensive, yet useless insurance.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I just watched another one, I'm actually kind of enjoying an insight into a completley different culture!

This one was for a truck and one of the key selling points was its economical 29 miles to the gallon!

you guys...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I might be crazy, but I believe that in America you need to protect yourself even on forums when you type messages that have anything that could be misconstrued as "medical advice". I wouldn't want to ever get sued over "providing medical advice" and "not being a qualified physician/doctor". The way they are always changing laws with regards to the internet, the FDA may make a law that individuals can be sued for providing medical advice while not being qualified as medical doctors. I will probably end up being wrong about that, but its better to be safe than sorry!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, look at how they pulled Vioxx off the market because it could cause your heart to burst. I suppose the only real reason they pulled it off of the market is that the product manufacturer wanted to protect themselves from the incoming lawsuits from all the people dying.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I read somewhere, and I don't know the truth of it, but the pharma companies only have to prove that the drug does what it supposed to do, even if the effect is very small, regardless of side effects. That is good enough for the FDA and regulatory agencies. So if you take some blood pressure meds for example, if they can prove that it reduces your BP even a small amount, that is all they need and the side effects aren't considered important.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

My favorite are the pills where you should call your doctor and discontinue use of the medication. if you have suicidal thoughts or ACTIONS.

Between that # and the controlled news...

I havn't seen TV shows or commercials for a LONG time.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

I got rid of TV.

I subscribed to Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Shomi TV.

Total cost of about...55$ a month.

Thousands of hours of content. No commercials.

~Tenth

We did the same thing, but I did put an HDTV antenna on the house. so we pick up about 20 channels of local whatever. Oh, and I still can't find anything to watch.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   
And another one, Diet cat food!
I SYN Diet cat food.

I have a new hobby, can anyone post any youtube vids to other commercials.

I have actually switched and now I'm browsing whilst the shows on and only watching the adverts.

I'm wondering what people from other cultures would think of UK adverts now.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

If you pay attention to the disclaimers, you usually hear that the side affects are (casing whatever the pill is supposed to cure, and possibly death.)

So all the bases are covered.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: InFriNiTee
a reply to: rickymouse

Yeah, look at how they pulled Vioxx off the market because it could cause your heart to burst. I suppose the only real reason they pulled it off of the market is that the product manufacturer wanted to protect themselves from the incoming lawsuits from all the people dying.

They never tested for anything that would lead to a condition where your heart could burst either.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
I just watched another one, I'm actually kind of enjoying an insight into a completley different culture!

This one was for a truck and one of the key selling points was its economical 29 miles to the gallon!

you guys...

That's pretty good for a truck...

Do you even have trucks across the pond?

edit on 26-2-2015 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

We have a few but they dont tend to focus on fuel economy as a benifit.

In seriousness there pretty useless over here due to the weather and what can you put in the back of a pickup that pikeys will not steal?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

this has always been one of my favorites, it a old one from back in the 80's.

and this one.

wendy's always had some good ones.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join