It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch the FCC Net Neutrality Meeting Live: Open Internet Passes in 3-2 Vote.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracytheoristIAM
I've tried following this topic, but don't have the technical knowledge to understand either side of this argument. So, I'll try a different angle. Almost every time our Government promises to protect us or our freedoms....BEWARE....just consider The Patriot Act, Obama-Care, NDAA,Operation Choke-Point and now the FCC steps out to protect our 1st Amendment rights...

This is pretty much where Im at with this as well. This, to me, seems very similar to how Obama-Care was sold to the public. Oh it sounds all nice until.....Americans get screwed because of it. Of course the government would NEVER show the potential nefarious intentions involved, of course no-one can read the other 300 pages until it's too late... The government has proven it's incompetence time and time again, so much to the point where even averge people don't even joke and giggle about it anymore. How in the hell could anyone in their right mind still want more government involved in anything???

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

.......Really then why havent they been squashed already?

I have been hearing this nonsense for months now by proponents of this bill........

If all this could happen dont you think thye WOULD HAVE DONE IT ALREADY!??????

Thats because despite verizon winning the lawsuit early this year which legally undid net neutrality, they were treading lightly, Besides anon was just an example and they were never a target at this early of the stage. The telecom industry was were warned if they tried to implement non net neutrality policies despite their win the e ONLINE commerce lobbyists would go after them and get the FCC to do what they just did and reclassify the internet.

Guess what, not soon after the warning by the other lobbyist [online commerce: google,netflix,amazon,etc] and the FCC comcast decided to go ahead and extort netflix by PURPOSELY slowing down their traffic.

In other words customers such as my self and the rest of the nations users including yourself are paying for 'x' amount of money for 'x' amount of bandwidth. Well despite comcast customers paying for 50MB downloads speeds comcast took it upon themselves to say screw the customer,ignore what they are paying for and purposely slow down the access to netflix.

Well the online lobbyist made good on their promise and lobbied the gov't and the FCC to reclassify the internet.

Congrats you just GAVE them the KEY to the GATE that they dindt have before.......

"Well if you dont allow me to guard your house someone can come in here and take your stuf" "Gee willikers your right, here take this key to my front door and dont let anyone in Mr.Stranger!"

SMH jesus The Stupid.......it HURTS.....

ANd again another bill passed WITHOUT PEOPLE KNOWING whats in it.......

Cause the sheeple didnt learn last time........

baaaah baaaaaaaaah baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Your rant and analogy indicates that you don't have any knowledge of what you are talking about and can't sensibly argue on merit , so you are frustrated. Relax , breath you will make it through this .

Tittle II is not new and enforcing net neutrality principles have been proven to work.Net neutrality principles existed since the early days of the internet . As a matter of fact the only time the internet was intentionally broken was when Verizon won the lawsuit and the ISP PURPOSELY slowed their access and Comcast purposely throttled services.
edit on 13228America/ChicagoThu, 26 Feb 2015 21:13:50 -0600up2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: interupt42

I propose a third option. neither the government or the corporations alone get to dictate speed or access. .

Prior to the verizon lawsuit and the early days of the internet that is what we had and worked well. Their was an unwritten rule of adhering to net neutrality principles by both the gov't and the telecom industry. The problem is that the ISP got greedy and feared the future so they decided to screw up a good thing and made themselves the god of the internet.

I wish we could go back to that as well, but unfortunately the ISP can't keep their hands out of the cookie jar and the FCC has no authority of them unless they are reclassified.

The online commerce business and the ISP customers were at the mercy of a monopolized industry so they played the only card they had: call the FCC.

The ISP were warned several times not only by the FCC but all the Online commerce sites such as google,amazon,netflix. However the ISP couldn't keep playing ball without cheating and they pushed their luck one to many times and lost this time.

edit on 24228America/ChicagoThu, 26 Feb 2015 21:24:23 -0600up2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The internet will not be regulated.

Telecommunication companies like Verizon, ATT, Comcast etc will be regulated and will be prohibited from giving preferential treatment to certain websites.

edit on 2/26/2015 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

I also have little or no faith on anything that corporations and gov't does is in the benefit of the consumer.

however see my previous post on why I think this is a little different than other forms of legislation.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Let's hope this isn't "Nyet Neutrality".

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Here are my predictions about what happens to consumers with this.
Price impacts
Worst case:your netflix stays $8 a month, but everyones internet bill goes up 50-300% in a relatively short span. Compare your current providers residential and business rates for the same speed service. Notice a difference? Ask yourself why is that. The answer is businesses are expected to hit that pretty much 24/7 whereas consumers are only expected to use those speeds some of the time. Everyone ends up paying more so those that consume the most data can do so.

Best case: Metered data, like in wireless, becomes the rule rather than the exception. Overage, throttling, or both come into play more than they do now. Remember the bill shock you had when your kids went 500MB over your your data plan on your cell phone? Expect it in your broadband bill. This is still fairer than the above, as those that use the most pay the most rather than everyone paying for other people's usage.

Rural Broadband
Best Case: Those of us living in the sticks might as well get used to what we have until the implications of this are certain. The costs to provide broadband to rural areas are higher with a longer break even point than a more densely populated area.

Worst Case: Rural providers say to hell with it and quit investing in expanding broadband out here. Rural Broadband begins to approach the cost of Satellite, which is the most expensive form of broadband.

I really don't want to guess what happens on the more political aspects. I've seen speculation about things like fairness doctrine for internet, censorship, and bloggers licenses, but I think that will greatly depend on the political climate.

Personally i plan on dropping any paid subscriptions like netflix as soon as my broadband bill goes up by the amount of the subscription. I don't currently use any form of ad blocker but as soon as my internet is metered I'm going to block anything audio or video.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Looks like the Republican smear campaign is strong in this one.

Companies like Google, Microsoft, Netflix, Amazon and Facebook support net neutrality because they benefit from a free internet where ISP's don't give preferential treatment to certain companies based on how much they pay them. These companies want to keep the current state of the internet, where anyone can create content without having to pay ISP's so they don't throttle their speeds.

We have one of the moderators of this website advocating and supporting net neutrality because he knows first hand what's at stake. It's just amazing to me that all Republicans have to do is slap a label to something to make their base be automatically against it even if that thing greatly benefits them.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Let's hope this isn't "Nyet Neutrality".

Lets hope, but prior to todays ruling and early this year when verizon won the ruling we did have nyet neutrality , it just wasnt fully enforced. So in that regards it wouldnt be any different.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

Thets good news because predictions on ats have a very bad track record when it comes to being accurate.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

It seems like you have made some good points.. You also seem to have a lot more knowledge on the subject than I, that much I can admit!

On the surface, right now, it doesn't look all that bad.

I worry of wolves in sheep's clothing.. Which I'm sure you already understand...

What about all the other pages, has anyone read them yet?

I'm looking further down the road.. I don't trust the government as far as I can throw them, and I always always take issue when they take control of something to "protect" us. The govt cares not one ounce about "us", they're just good at creating the illusion that they do.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep

It seems like you have made some good points.. You also seem to have a lot more knowledge on the subject than I, that much I can admit!

On the surface, right now, it doesn't look all that bad.

I worry of wolves in sheep's clothing.. Which I'm sure you already understand...

What about all the other pages, has anyone read them yet?

I'm looking further down the road.. I don't trust the government as far as I can throw them, and I always always take issue when they take control of something to "protect" us. The govt cares not one ounce about "us", they're just good at creating the illusion that they do.

The government is not going to take control of the internet, the FCC however will prohibit telecommunication companies from throttling the speeds of certain websites and prioritizing the speeds of others.

Net neutrality will keep the internet the same for everyone hence the name "Net Neutrality".

The internet that you and I enjoy right now is net neutrality.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

Its not only the republicans its both sides that do this. But one my favorite wtf moments was when the GOP convinced the individual republicans thats its a good idea for govt to pick the winners and loosers in a free market and we should bail them out.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

I honestly hope your right. I'm trying to stay out of the more political aspects of it and focusing solely on the dollars and cents. Someone is going to pay for it and if it ain't the content providers it's going to be the consumer.There is nothing I've seen preventing ISPs from passing that on to me. I honestly don't mind metering, i'm used to it in wireless. I do mind paying for something more than what i need/use because people want to be able to watch 100+hours of HD movies every month.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
a reply to: muse7

The government is not going to take control of the internet,

Well let's hope not.

To me, it looks like a back door for them to do exactly that, but what do I know...

I hope you're right and my immediate inner gut feeling is wrong!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: jefwane

Keep in mind the biggest factor that drives the price that you pay your ISP is not operating cost any longer, its the fact that their is no competition to keep them in check. They charge what they want and you have no choice to pay or not get fast internet.

Google fiber has already proven this. Google Fiber provides 100x the speeds of comcast and their service is unfiltered, uncapped and using the latest technologies. All this for only 70 bucks a month. Oh and they give you a free tablet to manage your tv if you go with all their hd tv channels package for a whopping 120 month.

If you don't need or want that much speed than pay a one time 300 dollar fee for the equipment and get FREE 5mb internet which is comparable to the average comcast speeds despite their advertised speeds.

fiber.google.com...

Guess what happened where comcast was able to sneak into those markets. All the sudden the incumbent ISP say sure we can do the same thing. So they chose to initially not do it not because they couldn't or because it would bankrupt them but because their was no competition for them to have to do it/

So when they raise the prices and put cap limits its not because net neutrality its because you have no option to take it . Hence why comcast is one hell of a financially successful company, despite having the worst customer rating of most industries year after year.

edit on 18228America/ChicagoThu, 26 Feb 2015 23:18:23 -0600up2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Wookiep

Trust me that is a valid concern that I share as well. However, the gov't is only the messenger the message is created by the corporate behemoths and their lobbyist.

However, like I pointed out in one of my other posts. As much as I don't like legislation this scenario is a little different than most and its the lesser of the two evils.

In addition , once they removed net neutrality just this year the internet was already doomed anyhow .

People aren't aware of the consequences because for the most part the ISP themselves were scared to go full force on what they could do.They feared the outcome of today. So they tug just a little but the little tug was enough to wake the other Oligopoly sleeping giants that lobby the FCC to address the issue.

Not because they cared about us the consumer but because we were lucky enough that their business model just happens to benefit us the consumer as well.

edit on 25228America/ChicagoThu, 26 Feb 2015 23:25:26 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
I saw the passing of the law. and i thought . So this is how internet freedom dies.... to thunderous applause

This is the general feeling I had as well.. I hope we are both wrong and just paranoid conspiracy theorist morons without a real clue!

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Verizon issues a press release in Morse Code !!!

No kidding.

And the "translation" is in old time typewriter format.

FCC’s ‘Throwback Thursday’ Move Imposes 1930s Rules on the Internet

- --- -.. .- -.-- .----. ... -.. . -.-. .. ... .. --- -. -... -.-- - .... . ..-. -.-. -.-. - --- . -. -.-. ..- -- -... . .-. -... .-. --- .- -.. -... .- -. -.. .. -. - . .-. -. . - ... . .-. ...- .. -.-. . ... .-- .. - .... -... .- -.. .-.. -.-- .- -. - .. --.- ..- .- - . -.. .-. . --. ..- .-.. .- - .. --- -. ... .. ... .- .-. .- -.. .. -.-. .- .-.. ... - . .--. - .... .- - .--. .-. . ... .- --. . ... .- - .. -- . --- ..-. ..- -. -.-. . .-. - .- .. -. - -.-- ..-. --- .-. -.-. --- -. ... ..- -- . .-. ... --..-- .. -. -. --- ...- .- - --- .-. ... .- -. -.. .. -. ...- . ... - --- .-. ... .-.-.- --- ...- . .-. - .... . .--. .- ... - - .-- --- -.. . -.-. .- -.. . ... .- -... .. .--. .- .-. - .. ... .- -. --..-- .-.. .. --. .... - -....- - --- ..- -.-. .... .--. --- .-.. .. -.-. -.-- .- .--. .--. .-. --- .- -.-. .... ..- -. .-.. . .- ... .... . -.. ..- -. .--. .-. . -.-. . -.. . -. - . -.. .. -. ...- . ... - -- . -. - .- -. -.. . -. .- -... .-.. . -.. - .... . -... .-. --- .- -.. -... .- -. -.. .. -. - . .-. -. . - .- --. . -.-. --- -. ... ..- -- . .-. ... -. --- .-- . -. .--- --- -.-- .-.-.- - .... . ..-. -.-. -.-. - --- -.. .- -.-- -.-. .... --- ... . - --- -.-. .... .- -. --. . - .... . .-- .- -.-- - .... . -.-. --- -- -- . .-. -.-. .. .- .-..

posted on Feb, 27 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
If a company is selling an inferior product, don't buy it.

Government net neutrality, or net communism, is treasonous propaganda. All content that is disagreeable with the status quo will be 'filtered'.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join