It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British paratrooper wins VC after saving USMC captain.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

He has been recognised with the VC almost 70 years after another member of his family was awarded the same honour.

L/Cpl Leakey's second cousin twice removed, Sergeant Nigel Gray Leakey, was a posthumous recipient of the VC in November 1945, for his actions while fighting in Africa during the Second World War.

'Bullets ricocheting'

He has been awarded the medal for his bravery during an assault on a Taliban stronghold in Helmand province, on 22 August 2013.

Despite coming under enemy fire, L/Cpl Leakey twice came to the aid of a wounded US Marine Corps captain and helped forces regain the initiative after they had been pinned down by fire and surrounded by insurgents.

article here

Well done that man. It makes the story even more remarkable knowing he isn't the first in his family to win the VC.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
As many of us know in here war is total BS and it's the higher powers who want wars. This man like many others didn't join the army to kill or to want wars to happen he is just doing a job and through his act of bravery he probably saved many more lives that day. Putting all the war BS to one side ... His actions wre remarkable knowing at any second while under heavy fire he could of got slotted himself but he just got on with it

Respect

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

This man like many others didn't join the army to kill or to want wars to happen

Let's be real, they all joined because they wanted some action and they all want to make kills.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Epitomizes the definition of Brothers In Arms.

Guy looks like a hard-core MFer too. Mother England has every right to be proud of her sons.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Good of him, he deserves it. People like him shows that the british army may be small compared to othe armys, but we're well trained..........and have big balls!!.
Well done, hats off to him.
All the best.
B. V. H.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
The VC is just another propaganda tool like all medals and awards....More godamn brainwashing techniques applied to the common people...get a grip.....

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

Doesn't matter what they are.....none of it detracts from the bravery the soldier concerned showed in putting his own life in danger to save the life of a colleague and fellow soldier.

You may choose to trivialise that, as is your right, some believe that it deserves some sort of recognition.....personally I fall in the latter category.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
stirling:

The VC is just another propaganda tool like all medals and awards....More godamn brainwashing techniques applied to the common people...get a grip...

So tell me, what remarkable multiple feat have you performed while your life was in danger for another human being? You would want someone like L/Cpl Leakey to be around to give you aid while you crouched in fear and sucked your thumb thinking of a nice place. I'll bet the wounded American Marine and his family see it quite differently to you, and no doubt, L/Cpl Leakey wasn't thinking about receiving a VC while he was doing it, he was simply doing what he was trained for whilst laying his life on the line for a fellow soldier...a brother in arms.

You need a good dose of perspective for that infection of envy.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrChinstrap

This man like many others didn't join the army to kill or to want wars to happen

Let's be real, they all joined because they wanted some action and they all want to make kills.

Here come the frakkin trolls, who let em out???

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

I am a troll?

Are you trying to refute my statement?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: DrChinstrap

Obviously the mods have answered that question lol.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
LOL dont need to refute it now

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrChinstrap

And this includes the army surgeons who help civilians and troops? How about the army medics who attend to the wounded? What about the engineers who'd rather pick up a spanner or wrench than a rifle? Please don't try entertain me with a BS answer.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

its not the reward we are celebrating its the act that he risked his life to save anothers

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
War is a racket.

Medals are propaganda.

They just want to kill people.

Good, feel better now that you've got that off your chest? None of that detracts from the individual valor displayed by people in extreme conditions.

He put others ahead of himself, in the most extreme way possible. I'd much rather shake the hand of a reluctant hero than somebody who spits on a man like that, while they sip their non-fat decaf foo-foo drink and talk about what a good person they are because they held the door for an old lady once.

Smells like....*sniff sniff* "equipment" envy

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DrChinstrap

Let me answer this from experience. I served 23 years in the US Army Infantry. If all I had wanted was to kill people I would have joined a gang or became a serial killer. Their body counts by up close personal means are higher than mine. So no we don't join just to kill people. I have went to third world countries and built schools, handed out books to children and made a positive impact on their lives. Most of those countries we weren't there to kill people but help them.

What have you done in your life you can be proud of?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
We all know war is bull#. From the people who have been in them to the people who haven't. Regardless of that, this man did something that not many people have the courage and bravery to do. He risked his own life to save someone else's. That is deserving of praise. That also contradicts the theory that soldiers care only for death.

Respect to the man.

CX

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thumbs up to the guy for what he did, but i wouldn't slate Stirling for his comments. Whilst it's great to be recognized for exceptional acts of bravery like this, you have to be pretty blinkered to not look at other views and sides of the arguement.

I've seen soldiers commit unbelievable acts of bravery, yet the hierachy got a medal to talk about over tea and biscuits and not the ones who carried out the act.

Yes this guy did an amazing thing, but i'd rather see medals replaced with an unconditional promise that they'd be looked after by the goverment when they leave the service. A medal doesn't guaruntee you anything. Ok maybe a VC will lead you right a little more than an active service medal, but you know what i mean.

And like it or not, there are many that will get very goey eyed when medals are dished out, yet in my opinion, they are often nothing more than a token that will shut you up and keep you fighting another politicians war.

Spoken from someone who has served, does appreciate the troops and who has got a medal.

Good lads though the Para's, worked with them for six months in S. Armagh, not many units you'd rather have on your side.

CX.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CX
Thumbs up to the guy for what he did, but i wouldn't slate Stirling for his comments. Whilst it's great to be recognized for exceptional acts of bravery like this, you have to be pretty blinkered to not look at other views and sides of the arguement.

I've seen soldiers commit unbelievable acts of bravery, yet the hierachy got a medal to talk about over tea and biscuits and not the ones who carried out the act.

Yes this guy did an amazing thing, but i'd rather see medals replaced with an unconditional promise that they'd be looked after by the goverment when they leave the service. A medal doesn't guaruntee you anything. Ok maybe a VC will lead you right a little more than an active service medal, but you know what i mean.

And like it or not, there are many that will get very goey eyed when medals are dished out, yet in my opinion, they are often nothing more than a token that will shut you up and keep you fighting another politicians war.

Spoken from someone who has served, does appreciate the troops and who has got a medal.

Good lads though the Para's, worked with them for six months in S. Armagh, not many units you'd rather have on your side.

CX.
pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Oh man the system is totally controlling this WW2 vet man.... down with the system. I bet they have a tracking chip inside his medal to control his brain.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join