It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter boss vows to crack down on trolls and abuse

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I would have to wholeheartedly agree. It can be very ugly.

And short of having a specific template with pre-approved words and rules for posting only so much within certain timeframes and all sorts of other very limiting things, limiting to the extent that it would take away it's only distinguishing factor, that is.

It's just too big.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
My Partner got a warning from twitter, because he sent a tweet saying Charlene Spiteri looked like Alan Rickman.
Others can get away with rape threats and racist abuse, it's a weird system.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: WilsonWilson

That makes it sound like it matters who complains, who they are. To me, it definitely does not appear to be an egalitarian system. There are people there for sure who get preferential treatment.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: SaturnFX
The bots failing may be exactly why they put emphasis on this...

Avoiding this will require Twitter to continue increasing its investment in human moderation – more costs for the company, but vital for the overall health of its community.

I think a simple disclaimer is fine:
Warning: You are on the internet on a largely anonymous message board. People are asses, grow thicker skin or set your account to private...also don't share public info or use real names ya ninny!

That should sort it out. Darwin approves

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Twitter is the most racist, xenophobic & sexist medium in existence right now.

There is no debate to be had about that, whatsoever.

It is a cesspit of scumbags.

I see you haven't heard of "Chans" before...
Also, Tumblr is giving twitter a strong race to the bottom..but king of the "dark net" is chans, hands down.

It cannot be moderated either.

There is the odd gem...

& describing those as a needle in a haystack is an absolute understatement...

I've found some decent music through Twitter...
& that's its shining light...

The only other thing Twitter has shown me is that the "1st World" is inherently more gullible, fascist & disgusting than we are led to believe is the case...

Overall it is a Troll haven...

Poverty will end & Peace will arise before Twitter is purged of Trolls.

Freedom of speech is best represented not in the sanitized halls of quiet contemplation, but rather in the sewers of dark thoughts and vitriolic exchanges.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

And again they ignore the fact that is all pretty simple and straightforward, they just need to hire ADEQUATE staff.

If someone makes a threat of violence they are to be suspended, and all available information about that account and the person using it transfered to the authorities of that country - if the criminal's country of origin is not known, it goes to that of the most prominent victim.

If someone complains that they are being attacked and harassed on Twitter, the account is looked into and if found to be in breach the account is suspended, the email address blocked from future use, the IP banned from accessing the service.

It could be argued that these trolls and abusers will just create another account, but there are only so many accounts a person will make before getting the message.

Just providing the staff to deal with this level of abuse and harassment is all Twitter needs to do to be able to drastically reduce it, and we would see a massive difference overnight.

The fact is, they don't want to spend any of their profits actually dealing with the customer service aspect, they would rather only employ a skeleton crew to make them money through advertising.

Until these companies realize that a company of their size and with that many users needs AT LEAST the customer service department of a utility provider, they will never change this problem. Right now they function without a customer service department equivalent to a small local company with fewer than 1000 customers.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   

I think stopping someone from using Freedom of Speech that may offend...

& not giving them a platform with which to divide & abuse people, are quite different.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrChinstrap
He is just talking obviously.

There is no way for them to enforce this and no legal basis.

No legal basis? sorry dude it is their house their rules....just like ATS as you have just discovered.
edit on 26-2-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
With 500 million tweets a day...

It's fair to say at least a couple million of those are reported for harrassment...

How does anyone moderate 2 million complaints per day?

It's wishful thinking imo.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I think stopping someone from using Freedom of Speech that may offend...

& not giving them a platform with which to divide & abuse people, are quite different.

giving a platform? Twitter is simply a depot of wood. if you want to build a stage with it, or a bunker, its up to you and you alone.

What defines divide and abuse people? The term is so general now that anyone who disagrees with you (on twitter) is considered by some to be abusive, trolling, etc.

Hell, here on ATS I personally have been called a troll because I added a counter opinion and some special snowflakes seen my disagreeing with the premise as being abusive and trollish.

this isn't a slippery slope. its a cliff..a sheer cliff.
The stage only works if you are watching the performance. I recommend that if someone is saying something online you don't like...you ignore them.
Same with music you don't like on the radio, a tv program you don't like, etc.

We have been masters of living in our comfort bubble all along.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

With 500 million tweets a day...

It's fair to say at least a couple million of those are reported for harrassment...

How does anyone moderate 2 million complaints per day?

It's wishful thinking imo.

Chuck Norris could do it

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

That's how it works here.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Isn't he using a walker by now?

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Meh, they're a private company, so they can do as they will. I avoid Twitter--I got into Facebook way back when and I even lament that fact on nearly a daily basis.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: SlapMonkey

Meh, they're a private company, so they can do as they will. I avoid Twitter--I got into Facebook way back when and I even lament that fact on nearly a daily basis.

I feel your pain. I have a twitter account I only ever use to verify tweets by individuals(I would say once every 2-3 months on average) I also have a facebook account that I wish I could get rid of but how could my wife post funny photos and tag me in them for her family to see

posted on Feb, 28 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Rocker2013
It could be argued that these trolls and abusers will just create another account, but there are only so many accounts a person will make before getting the message.

Part of the point given in the OPs poster about twitter trolls is that they never get the message, no matter how many accounts they go through they are still deluded in thinking that they are right and that they are some kind of savior. Their wires are crossed.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 2/28/2015 by FlyersFan because: mod tag

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join